This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 6060 PTO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AC Nut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 6060 PTO
    Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 4:46pm
As mentioned in earlier posts, my pto fails to engage when I lift the clutch. Attached is my PTO clutch assembly. I took the side plate off and this is what you see. The dual spline seems to slide fine from the split splines. Should the front shaft turn freely by hand when engine not running? Appears the issue may be further up into the transmission. Would it help to start the engine and see if the front shaft turns?

Edited by AC Nut - 10 Jun 2012 at 4:47pm
Sponsored Links

Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 7:57pm
As long as the splines seem ok on the two shafts and the collar then I would look in the hole you have open and have some one turn the engine over with the starter to see if the shaft turns.  You may have  a problem with the pto clutch itself.  I have never had a problem with one on a 6060 but have fixed other makes and models with broken rivets and discs.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 10:27pm
With hand lever on right forward you should not be able to turn the shaft going forward from couppler.
 See if the cross shaft from pto hand clutch is turning where it goes through housing. Have saw them bind in housing to where they will not let the throw out bearing move.   MACK
AC Nut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 7:47am
Where is the cross shaft? I would assume that if there were binding, the front shaft would not turn? Would the tractor need to be split if I need to work on the PTO clutch?
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 7:53am

Are you engaging the yellow handled lever on the right side of the console?

3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

AC Nut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 8:10am
Right hand lever is forward, or in engaged mode.
nebraskagleaner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebraskagleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 8:27am
I think he was talking about the pto engagement lever on the left hand side of the seat.
AC Nut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:12am
Thought he said right side of console. In either case, shafts spin freely with left hand engaged/disengaged.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 10:19am
Make sure that the cable attached to the right hand side lever (yellow clutch lever) is moving when you let the lever go ahead.  The cable may have seized or bound up and is holding the release bearing ahead as Dr Allis says. You can see this right side of the tractor below the platform where the safety switches are located.   I had a 210 do this when I shoved the clutch pedal in the cross shaft for the release bearing bound up and the pedal would not come up nor would the tractor move.  Discovered there were grease fittings on the shaft that had never been greased as long as I owned the tractor.  On the 6060 you have a cable from the lever to the shift arm/rod/bearing arrangement for the pto instead of all mechanical linkage.
AC Nut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 11:16am
Amos-
Thanks for the information. I doubt that is the cause since the prior owner said he didn't have any issues prior to trading it in and that it appeared to be closely tied to my pulling up on the activator and hearing the grinding sound. I will check nonetheless. Is there another access plate on the other side (right side)?

Short of such a problem, can I assume I will need to move further up the tractor?
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 3:53pm
The only thing we ever had trouble with the clutch lever was at the base of the handle there is a cover and it filled with dirt and chafe and caused the cable to get bound up.  I am thinking you must have a problem with the pto clutch itself.  I have not noticed a plate of any sort to get into the clutch on one of these.  Should be a fairly easy tractor to split though, and not heavy like a 8070 FWA to handle the engine and front axle.  Let me know what you find is the cause, I am getting to think it must be the clutch disc or the release bearing has somehow seized in the disengaged position or something I would think is unusual.
AC Nut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 8:30pm
I took a look at the cable on the right hand engage. Seems the rocker plate to which the cable attaches does not move when I release the pressure with the handle (engage mode). It has a spring on the top and the cable pulls on the bottom. Appears attaches to the clutch fork in the middle (on which it pivots, I belieive). Can I put any type of pressure on the rocker w/o any damage? Seems to be frozen in place.
AC Nut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 10:58pm
Well, I think I got it to work. Hopefully. I took the cable off the rocker plate and worked it back and forth a bunch and tightened the return spring. Seems to engage/disengage. I hope it isn't anything serious down the road. Tricky getting the brake plate back on. Where does the tranny fluid for the brake chamber go back in on a cab model?

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 6:49am
There is a plug on right side of trans. housing toward the front. Fill to pluf with 821 or universal hyd. brake oil.
  Did you come up with any new words befor you got the park brake plate on lol.
  If it is a FWA you can drop the drop box and reach up from bottom to help line things up. 
  Have saw the cross shaft stick when PTO have not been used much.  MACK
AC Nut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 7:00am
Mack-
Did your message say fill to full? Does regular hyraulic oil work?
I did cuss a bit getting the brake caliper back in. Took a few tries.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 11:48am
Funny how you forget some things, but when you mentioned the brake caliper I had a recollection of spending some time trying to put it back on.  I walked away to do something else and came back and it went right in.  lol !
Glad you got it back to working.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 12:34pm
So you won't be bringing it with you to east TN on vacation? Darn, anyway congradulations i'm glad you got it fixed!!! Scott
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 10:33pm
Yes fill it to fill plug.  MACK
AC Nut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 8:59am
I noticed that to fill the brake chamber, the oil has to go into the differential fill on the back of the tractor (dipstick was bone dry). I took the oil fill off the other side and it was already full; I assume that is a seperate chamber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic