This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

d17 s.3 diesel timing marks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: d17 s.3 diesel timing marks
    Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 10:22pm
Ok i've looked and looked but can't find the darn thing. the pulley as far as i can tell has no timing marks and i think this one is supposed to. and i am unable to find any pin on the torque tube or bell housing any where. any ideas? i can go take any pics anyone of any angle anyone wants to see. just direct me to where to aim! thanks jon
Sponsored Links

Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 3:00am

The timing strip on the pulley is very small and faint, even in pristine condition. I'd suggest some emory cloth, until you're down to bare, shiney metal. Out of curiousity, is the timing cover aluminum with a pointer ? Earlier covers were cast iron.  

donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:58am
ok i think it has the wrong pulley i think.  It has the aluminium  timing cover here are some pics of the pulley and also the side of the bell housing. would this one have the pin somewhere and if so is it in any of these pics?
donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:59am
sorry about the size im dealing with the backup computer and it is a pos and on its last leg
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 6:25pm
If you have the pin timing, the pin stick through the metal plate that is sandwiched between the engine and torque tube. It will be on the left side down 6 or 8 inches from the steering shaft. It looks like a shoulder bolt with the head cut off and a nut threaded up to the shoulder. It's actually one piece. You screw the pin out, turn it around and stick it through the hole. Roll the engine by hand until the pin drops in the hole on #1 compression stroke.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:10pm
here is some pics of the left side is it in there somewhere. also if not does anyone have a pulley for sale? cause i am stumped with finding this pin unless its not even an option on this one.. 
AlVee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlVee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:21pm
from what i can see the timing mark is the aluminum tab on the front cover and it looks like something has been rubbing on the pulley might have removed the marks i do know?? on the gas there is the whole in the side of the bell housing and there is a mark on the flywheel to line up for timing 
AlVee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlVee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:23pm
to clarify the wedge shaped thing on the front cover of the picture is the timing mark if it is used 
donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:26pm
i'm the one that made the pulley shiny.  i made an emory cloth paint stick sander to just barely clean it off.  it also doesnt look like the pulley in the manual.. on the right side by the starter it has about a 7/8 inch hole that you can see the flywheel and teeth, but not sure if i can see any marks. but im a gonna go check that now.

Edited by donais - 01 Apr 2012 at 12:14am
donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:35pm
spun it around a few times and i could not see a mark but i was spinning it alone. i will have to get a kid or wife out and have them look while i spin it with the crank nut

Edited by donais - 01 Apr 2012 at 12:15am
AlVee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlVee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:53pm
that should line up with the center of the hole also since its a diesel did you remove the pump or what is the orginal purpose for trying to find the timing?

donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 12:18am
So the goal to finding the marks are to be able to check the timing of the fuel pump and also be able to adjust the valves.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 1:04am
You have a manual? The I&T manual AC201 (TSC has them) has a good picture of the timing marks and pointer Fig 77 on page 38. The pointer looks like the point of a nail and is in the timing cover. The pic is not good enough to say for sure, but I think the view is standing on the left side of the tractor looking down at the pulley.
If you do have the pin timing, look from under the tractor up at the left side of the engine toward the flywheel housing. It will be in that plate that's about 1/2" thick. The location of the pin in that plate as you're under the oil pan looking toward the rear with the engine crank in the center of a clock, the pin would be about 5 O'Clock.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 1:10am
Looking at your pic of the pulley and comparing it to the one in the manual, I'd say you have a pin timing pulley. The edge of the pulley with numbers on it looks wider in the manual.
donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 1:56am
the pulley doesn't look anything like the one in the book.  i see the pointer on the timing cover. ill go under again and look for the pin.  
Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 2:38am
Is there a single notch in the pulley...or maybe 2 ? What's the number on your pump ? Does it match one of those shown in the I&T Manual ?

donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:55am
when i get home from work ill check the pump # .  i saw no notch put i'm going to try to look for it again.  If anyone has a pic of this elusive pin can you post it. i dont think mine has it, but since i've never seen one maybe the pic would help me.
donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:23pm
brian thank you so much for the picture! That pin is NOT on my tractor... so now i have a new question for everyone. where can i get a pulley with the timing marks on it?
AlVee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlVee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 1:32am
there is another option get a degree wheel and put the marks on the pulley yourself then you know they are accurate its a straight forward process fairly easy or find someone with one and has done it to help you

donais View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 9:54am
good idea i can do that. i might also go down to the antique steam and tractor museum this weekend and see if one of the guys there might have a pulley.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic