This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

426 D3500 engine problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbdairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 426 D3500 engine problems
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 6:37pm
Hello:
I have a Allis 426 D3500 series power unit mounted to a Vertical TMR feed mixer about 2 weeks ago When it starts working hard it looks like a super stock tractor in how much black smoke come out and dies. It also starts hard even plugged in, it fires right up on two cylinders and takes 10-20 seconds before all fire. Once running it runs smooth with no smoke or no miss and could start mixer at idle even when loaded. We removed air cleaner and muffler, turbo had NO boost REPLACED WITH NEW TURBO still has no boost, we had pump and injectors check by trusted diesel shop all withing specs. Timing was correct. removed exhaust manifold no blockage, valve train all have clearance, open good and none stuck. The only thing we are down to is compression is a consistent 260 psi on 5 cylinders and 235 on remaining one. I can not find what it should be.Even if low How would that affect the turbo boost once running? A gas engine with a turbo has much less compression than that. I have a 7040 with same engine and a UNI with same both start and run great. Looking for any ideas   
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 6:40pm
Is the low one #5?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 7:04pm
You haven't said what the blow-by hose looks like for fumes. Did this come on it all of a sudden????  You have't given an indication as to what age/year the engine is or what style/brand injection pump it has. Even with the intake manifold gasket blown (which it could be) you still should have SOME boost, unless you're using a gauge larger than 30 psi.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:33pm
You didn't say how you was checking boost.  I would say the reason for all the black smoke was the first turbo locked up. Take the intake hose off and see if wheel is turning.
MACK
CALEBnOK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALEBnOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:57pm

If it is intercooled then the cooler could be stopped up. Its getting fuel obviously by the black smoke but i would still look to where your taking boost pressure from and the turbo you put on is identical to the old one?

jbdairy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbdairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 6:43am
The low one is # 2
jbdairy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbdairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 6:54am
Thanks for the input but we removed air cleaner and piping completely so turbo is to open air, there is normal blow by nothing excessive and average oil pressure, I can see turbo running so it is not locked up both old and new turbo spin free with no obvious physical problems, engine runs smooth and to full RPM at no load or even half load with no smoke, we took the boost or lack of, readings at the 1/8" plug for starting fluid. it has about 6"-10" VACUUM from idle to wide open and I'm watching the turbo spinning? on My 7040 it is about 1" pressure at idle and 6-7 at full throttle. Still looking for compression PSI ?   
leoversteeg11 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leoversteeg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 7:22am

I have a 7080 on my vertical feed mixer,twin screw, and at times it has its hands full running that thing.It's hard work! I'm not saying you don't have a problem,just letting non farmers know.

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:46am
Originally posted by jbdairy jbdairy wrote:

Thanks for the input but we removed air cleaner and piping completely so turbo is to open air, there is normal blow by nothing excessive and average oil pressure, I can see turbo running so it is not locked up both old and new turbo spin free with no obvious physical problems, engine runs smooth and to full RPM at no load or even half load with no smoke, we took the boost or lack of, readings at the 1/8" plug for starting fluid. it has about 6"-10" VACUUM from idle to wide open and I'm watching the turbo spinning? on My 7040 it is about 1" pressure at idle and 6-7 at full throttle. Still looking for compression PSI ?   
Well, Its either to much fuel or not enough air. You are checking for boost in the right spot, but you need to check it with the engine under a load. A turbocharger will not create boost unless there is a load on the engine.
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 1:02pm
If you are showing a vacum there is a restriction between turbo and air intake. A diesel should not have a vacum.   MACK
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 2:29pm
May not help you, but I had the spring inside an air inlet hose from the air cleaner to the manifold on a naturally aspirated Perkins.  When the load got too great the hose would collapse and you had to almost stop to get the engine to come back to fuel rpm and boy, was there smoke behind you!  Took me a pump and injector overhaul and a set of new air filters and fuel filter and I can't remember all until I happened to be sitting in the pickup when it went by and started smoking that I was at just the right angle to see the air hose completely collapsed to figure out the problem...
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 2:31pm
sounds like a plug fell out of the intake manifold, or even exhaust manifold.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
MI8050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI8050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 3:51pm
How about a plugged vent from fuel source?
jbdairy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbdairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 9:22pm
Thanks for all the input but pretty much EVERY thought or suggestion that came up was already looked into before I posted the first time, will be starting from square one Wed and do a step by step proses of elimination AGAIN will update when I find the cause
Travis(NE) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:49pm
As Mack said a diesel should not have a vacuum at any time unless the intake system is restricted. Start by checking from the turbo compressor outlet to the manifold.
SLee(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:52pm
Sounds like a prankster put a rag or something in the tube between the turbo and intake manifold. If innercooled, it could of been sucked in and laying on the innercooler coils and blocking air flow. Just a late night thought.
Steve
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:55pm
Id go along with Ed,  Ive had the big plug come out of intake manifold and dump all the turbo boost.     It sounds to me like you are loosing your boost somewhere.  Aint no easy answer on this one, let us know what you find.   HTH
SLee(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:56pm
Beat me to it Travis
Steve
Kevin in WA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 11:05pm

If it has a roosa pump, what you describe sounds like a fuel restriction, I know you said it smoked, but with the roosa pump if you have a restriction it will reduce your transfer pump pressure enough to affect the timing advance and it will smoke and have no power, because of late timing,[no timing advance movement] Make sure you have good solid flow to the filters, an air leak will cause the same symtoms. A low pressure electric pump will also help, 5-7 psi max.

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 5:18am
A rag would not make it through the turbo.  MACK
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 6:30am
It takes one major item to make boost.  I a hot expanding exhaust gas steam, yes you need other things like a turbo, and sealed piping, but those have apparently been eliminated.  Low compression will indirectly affect boost, but if the engine can run, you can build boost.  Every one of these ideas is great, and all are valid, but I am really starting to think PUMP as Kevin stated, assuming all intake pathways are free and clear, and the filter has been changed, which it sounds like JB has pulled his hair out doing.  The only thing left is pump or timing.  Without good advance, and good fuel delivery you will get little to no heat in the exhaust, and therefor no energy to drive the turbo and create boost.  I do agree that it seems odd that a vacuum is present, but when we start our 7060s they have a lot of hours on them, at idle they too draw a vacuum, my guess is because of the hours on them, and it's the same engine.  I think the only thing left is to suggest that the pump just isn't putting out the fuel that it should, and since it seems to be related to RMPs and load, I am afraid it's that time.  Since it starts on two cylinders, and blubbers along for 20-30 seconds and the hard start.  But before you have it inspected again, or rebuilt, I completely agree with Kevin, check all of your fuel flow, i.e. you would think black smoke means too much fuel and no air, but I have seen on other engines a dirty or near completely plugged fuel filter will do the exact same thing, and both those engines both allis 2900s had roosa pumps on them, so really worth a second look into the fuel system.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
jbdairy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbdairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 6:53am
Thanks for everyone's input we had every intake,exhaust, fuel part off AGAIN and inspected more than once, engine actually looked very clean. We got the pump and injectors back from the shop they tested all within specs, reassembled and works fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no clue why? we didn't change a thing but when it was acting strange we definitely had No boost and a vacuum on the intake at any RPM even as I'm watching the turbo spinning and yes there was NO blockage at any time in any intake or exhaust piping. I'll say it was Gremlins no other explanation. So if anyone is in need of my old used RaJay Turbo but no guarantee on it. I think I bought the last NOS one from a dealer in Min.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 11:06am
Sounds like you and I are blessed with the same fortune.
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 3:50pm
"Pump tested within specs",maybe!
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by jbdairy jbdairy wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input we had every intake,exhaust, fuel part off AGAIN and inspected more than once, engine actually looked very clean. We got the pump and injectors back from the shop they tested all within specs, reassembled and works fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no clue why? we didn't change a thing but when it was acting strange we definitely had No boost and a vacuum on the intake at any RPM even as I'm watching the turbo spinning and yes there was NO blockage at any time in any intake or exhaust piping. I'll say it was Gremlins no other explanation. So if anyone is in need of my old used RaJay Turbo but no guarantee on it. I think I bought the last NOS one from a dealer in Min.
this came on all of a sudden? or after some other work was performed?
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 2:05pm
JB welcome to the forum.
just curious, What brand mixer are you using? can you post a pic?
Glad you got her running right.
Dave
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic