This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crawler Picture Post.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crawler Picture Post.
    Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:01am
Please post pictures of all your crawlers and dozers!
I would like to pick up a Allis Chalmers "M" some day, but this is the only one we have now.

Edited by R.W - 17 Jan 2012 at 12:54pm
Sponsored Links

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:12am
Nice D7....could do alot of work with that old girl
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

Nice D7....could do alot of work with that old girl
Thanks! Hope to do some clearing with her this summer!
StewartMD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StewartMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:14pm
Very neat.  A dozer is on my want list! 
8030, 8010, 220, 185, 160, D-17, WD, Unstyled WC, CA, G, 20-35, Gleaner E
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:32pm
Nice machine. Next summer I'm a hoping to snag a HD11 or 16, but wouldn't mind a D6 or D7.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:13pm
The old D6-9U I had for 5 years and ended up to be a money pit. first had to replace a front idler, then lost oil pressure and found one throw on crank was not the best. I put rods and mains in it and just polished that one throw as the RPM was so low on engine. 
 next was trany bearing which required  replacing with used unit as it took out a gear.
then track and sprockets and i upgraded to D5 weld on rings and replaced the rear final seals , (push-puller rental for that) 
 Next the steering clutches were weak , then the trany bearings on output shaft allowed the pinion to go out of mesh taking out it's teeth, then side bearings on ring gear were also out of tolerance to one side. 
 It went to trade for a HD4 loader with a 615 AC detachable hoe, and went from grading jobs to septic work.  
 My FD5 , HD5 have been a lot less problems than the D6 , the HD4 had a few and it went when i got the 715B TLB 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

The old D6-9U I had for 5 years and ended up to be a money pit. first had to replace a front idler, then lost oil pressure and found one throw on crank was not the best. I put rods and mains in it and just polished that one throw as the RPM was so low on engine. 
 next was trany bearing which required  replacing with used unit as it took out a gear.
then track and sprockets and i upgraded to D5 weld on rings and replaced the rear final seals , (push-puller rental for that) 
 Next the steering clutches were weak , then the trany bearings on output shaft allowed the pinion to go out of mesh taking out it's teeth, then side bearings on ring gear were also out of tolerance to one side. 
 It went to trade for a HD4 loader with a 615 AC detachable hoe, and went from grading jobs to septic work.  
 My FD5 , HD5 have been a lot less problems than the D6 , the HD4 had a few and it went when i got the 715B TLB 
         How was it for getting new parts from Cat?
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 4:33pm
Here are examples of an HD6E and an HD6B from my collection.

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Ages Cat Ages Cat wrote:

Here are examples of an HD6E and an HD6B from my collection.

Very Nice!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:54pm
CAT has just about every part you need NEW or their dealer network can find it in their used parts warehouses . 
 Cost on CAT parts is higher than aftermarket , I bought most of parts from small dealers in parts, but trany I got from CAT run bone-yard here in MN 
 I rented the pullers from CAT when I replaced the rear seals and welded on the new sprocket rings to fit the D5 track. 
 Cut off spokes on D6 sprocket , then welded on new ring for the bolt on D5 segments.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:02pm
Here are 2 of my M's.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
StewartMD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StewartMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:51am
Lonnie,  Both of you M's look like alot of fun.  I see that you have 4 total!
8030, 8010, 220, 185, 160, D-17, WD, Unstyled WC, CA, G, 20-35, Gleaner E
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 8:22am
Nice "M's" Lonnie! Do you have any pictures of the other two?
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 8:42am
Coke, 

It sounds like you inherited someone else's no maintenance project.

We have in the family two old D8 2Us one D7, and a D8H, and just don't have that kind of experience.  I am glad to hear the Allis equipment you bought isn't costing you tons of money.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:04pm

Edited by doctorcorey - 20 Jan 2012 at 12:01pm
hilltop615 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:23pm
Nice looking loader. How do you like it? I have run some late model loaders but don't have any time on the older stuff however i seem to be drawn to them.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:42am
  sorry can't figure out why the picture won't shrink to the screen size. It always worked before.

Edited by doctorcorey - 19 Jan 2012 at 11:19am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:51am
  I like it a lot, more for the simplicity than anything. I repair mostly late- model autos for a living, and I love the lack of wires and computers. Pull a lever, and something (hopefully) happens. SAS. Of course, old tractors are like old women: they don't move quite like they used to, and spare parts can be hard to come by. But paint 'em up, and keep em lubed, and they'll keep you happy! Seriously, though, she'll move a lot of dirt, makes a good light dozer, and doesn't seem to burn a lot of fuel.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:07am
The simplicity may be one of the big drawing factors for me. I enjoy tinkering with older stuff, especially when it belongs to a friend lol. Like you said everything is mechanical so you can see exactly how everything happens. They sure are fun to operate on your own place for the enjoyment as long as your not in a hurry. I've got an HD3 with a 6 way blade that i'm trying to put back in service but i would love to have a loader to go with it on day.
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:09am
Here is my H3, its been a lot of fun to tinker with.

Last winter with the old brush bar on top.

This year with a roll bar pushing snow.

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:13am
RW, here are pics of the other 2 although not too impressive. One is just for parts and the other I started restoring about 5 years ago and stopped when I got to the motor. The rear half has all been opened up and gone thru with bearings and steering clutches.

Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:15am
Chevytahoe, This my be a dumb newbie question but where is your hydraulic reservoir tank? Mine is a big ugly tank on the right side fender. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 11:17am
Only hyd reservoir is the sump in the machine. 
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:01pm
Hy this is our 2 HD5s The top one is a HD5B then the HD5A and a BTD6 we are working on our fordson fulltrack at the moment and when i get my Allis M runing i will post a pic of it
Cheers John & brad
15 allis chalmers tractors

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

14 Aus made orange chamberlains

I spent most of my money on old tractors I wasted the rest
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by chevytaHOE5674 chevytaHOE5674 wrote:

That thing looks pretty handy.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

That thing looks pretty handy, and easy to store or move.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 6:20pm

Only hyd reservoir is the sump in the machine. 

Mine has a big Gaudy tank on the right fender... 
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:01pm
Hi i have 2 pommy crawlers
 THERE NOT Orange  but something different a Fordson hight track P6 and a David Brown 30t Gas  Cheers john & brad

15 allis chalmers tractors

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

14 Aus made orange chamberlains

I spent most of my money on old tractors I wasted the rest
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 8:13am
Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

That thing looks pretty handy, and easy to store or move.

Its real handy. I would like a larger dozer but I move it around a lot and the cost of a tractor/lowboy just isn't in the cards.

I toss it on a trailer behind the pickup and go where I need to go. Just last week I hauled it a few miles up the road and plowed out somebodys hunting camp that was a few miles off the plowed county road. Works like a charm.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 9:00am
Nice pictures! That H3 looks like FUN!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic