This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

d17 front wheel spacing and how to?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitesstables Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: d17 front wheel spacing and how to?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 7:48am
OK, My wheels are set way out on the front of my D17 series IV.. The wheels are set so that I see 4 holes.. Question#1 what should it be for normal usage? #2 I see two bolts on each side. I figure that you take those out and then jack up front and puch the beam and the tierod (once loosened) back to where you want it? Before I bought this the guy had a loader on the front and kept busting tie rods and rims. figure because he had them set so far out.. I do not have a loader on it anymore but it looks extremely wide how far out do you guys set yours?
This is a pic the day I picked it up you can see how wide they are.

The grill is now back on and the canopy slash tarp is gone..
1965 D17 Series IV
Sponsored Links

junkman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 8:04am
You ask what would be normal usage width for your front end, tractor data.com says it could be adjusted from between 53 to 79 inches. it could depend on if you are going to plow with it or not and the size of plow plus other factors as well. You want your front tires to be set proportionate to what you need the back tires set at. looks like mine, all maxed out but I am pulling a 4 bottom plow so it works out fine. 
Sitesstables View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitesstables Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 8:13am
I just move round bales, bush hog with it.. and a yard box and grader so maybe will push them back in 2 holes
1965 D17 Series IV
EdIL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 10:53am
One of the manuals say to align the inside of the front tire with the inside of the rear tire. The narrower the front axle, the stronger.  for what it's worth - Ed
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitesstables Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:07am
Ed- is how I said how I thought you adjust them correct? Unbolt jackem up and push them in?
1965 D17 Series IV
EdIL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:36am
Yes.  There are 2 outer square head bolts that have to be removed and 1 inner bolt that needs to be loosened.  Loosen tie rod bolt also.  If anything is stuck, it usually is the tie rod.  a solution of 50/50 acetone and automatic trans fluid along with patience works well.  Jack up one side at a time after blocking the other wheels to maintain stability.  While it's off of the ground, you might check/grease the spindle, wheel hub and rim.  Sounds like it had a rough life under the loader.  When finished with the front axle assembly, jack up the tractor front under the bolster (directly below the radiator) until the weight is off of the tires and put some grease in the gap between the bolster pin that is welded to the axle center section and the bolster bushing that the bolster pin fits into.  It's probably well worn.  If there is a zerk on that model, use it.  If, in the future, you take it apart to replace the bushing, that would be a good time to drill a 3/16 inch hole through the bolster pin length ways and drill and tap for 1/4-28 grease zerk from the rear.  This makes it MUCH easier to grease this high wear area the next time.  Hope This Helps    Ed  
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:49am
When you come and see me, I`ll show the easy way without jacking the tractor up.
"Burgie"
wheatbreeder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheatbreeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:59am
the rear tires were power shift take out the locks loosen the cam on the track of the right tire if you want to spin out the tire drive forward and and apply the left brake this will force out just reverse the procedure for the left tire 
On the D15  not sure about the D17 you could use the powers steering to slide the axle in and out. on the spindle the have a hole the would line up with hole on the axle which you would lock the front wheel from turning the you would turn the steering wheel in the correct direction and this would draw the axle in our out depending on which way the steering wheel was turned

Morley 
Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitesstables Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 12:07pm
Thanks everybody!!! @Burgie I am off all next week so find a day or time that works for you!! i will hop on over,, At somepoint I need new tierods.. one is welded and the other has a good curve in it..
1965 D17 Series IV
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 12:14pm
Friday would be good, say in the morning.
"Burgie"
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitesstables Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 12:21pm
Will get with you next week! Burgie you have any pics of your stuff?? I am so bored in my office today.. Plus when these big storms going to hit??
1965 D17 Series IV
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 12:26pm
I`d have to send them e-mail. The storms start to night, I think.
"Burgie"
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitesstables Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 2:06pm
My email is revsites@yahoo.com
We were with out power for 2 days hopefully will not happen again tonight

Edited by Sitesstables - 22 Apr 2011 at 2:08pm
1965 D17 Series IV
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:42pm
Check the tops of the steering arms, top of spindle, for a hole. If there is a hole there you can adjust the front with the steering wheel. Remove the bolt from the single hole in the axle and drop it in the hole in the arm. loosen the bolt in the slot and the tie rod, then turn the steering wheel. If it'd not rusted together, the wheel will move. Bob
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Chalmersbob Chalmersbob wrote:

Check the tops of the steering arms, top of spindle, for a hole. If there is a hole there you can adjust the front with the steering wheel. Remove the bolt from the single hole in the axle and drop it in the hole in the arm. loosen the bolt in the slot and the tie rod, then turn the steering wheel. If it'd not rusted together, the wheel will move. Bob

I guess the key words here are "if its not rusted together". LOL
Those advertising films put out by A-C made it look real easy;
'course they were brand spankin' new tractors.

Edited by Brian G. NY - 22 Apr 2011 at 10:28pm
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:11am
No jacks needed with the Roll-Shift front axle.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic