This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B vs Farmall 130 vs Deere 40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B vs Farmall 130 vs Deere 40
    Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 6:14pm
There all same size same hp and all made with at least one year the same.
This time I'm not telling my oppion because it will be proven wrong some how but I do want to hear yours!

Edited by R.W - 22 Mar 2011 at 6:15pm
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Sponsored Links

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 6:23pm
By that time period, I'd say that the CA would be better compared to those models than the B. Haven't used all of them, but those Deeres are pricey!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 6:24pm
Let's see. The AC B had a tiny bit more horse power than the Farmall and about 3 HP more than the Deere. The main thing I see is the HUGE production run of the B. It was a great tractor for the farms that had less than 100 acres and AC did a good job of letting people know it along with keeping the trusty model B for so long.

So my vote goes to the Allis-Chalmers B, one of the tractors that made AC who they were.
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
48AC/WD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48AC/WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 6:52pm
100 percent correct, I couldnt have said it better myself!
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 7:38pm
 I have been AC  since dad  got a WC in 43 ,I have a D-14 and restored a 49 AC-B Both real tough tractors but when IH come out with the Super A with full time lift they passed the B and AC never did catch up.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by wfmurray wfmurray wrote:

I have been AC  since dad  got a WC in 43 ,I have a D-14 and restored a 49 AC-B Both real tough tractors but when IH come out with the Super A with full time lift they passed the B and AC never did catch up.
Amen! This is what I was guna say but everybody would of just of tryed to shoot it down!
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 8:32pm
My fiance's Grandfather has a JD40 and its a stout little machine....her brother wants it but I'll probably end up with it someday because he has nowhere to put it and no idea how to probably even start it.....I'll paint it up for the wife to be and keep it in the family.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 8:42pm
I could give you a laundry list of things AC did better with the basic tractor over IH. And the CA came real close to being awesome but I think it was just a tad early on the roll out or maybe they could have designed live power and hydraulics to with it. Of course all those things did come later. Overall I think AC built a sturdier tractor with a little more HP per lb of tractor.
NCAllisnut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAllisnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 9:10pm
You know I like my WD, but I grew up running a farmall 130 as well.  The live hydraulics on the farmall super a - 100 - 130 -140 definately make a huge difference.  I always thought I wanted a D10, until I got a series 1.  The hydraulics hanging off the back end made it pretty near useless as far as I could tell.  I'll go through the family 130 like I did Grandpa's WD, if I can ever get Dad to turn loose of it.

Adam
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by R.W R.W wrote:

Originally posted by wfmurray wfmurray wrote:

Amen! This is what I was guna say but everybody would of just of tryed to shoot it down!
Other than possibly the hydraulics and maybe the seat the rest of the CA was ahead but the hydraulics weren't bad on the CA. Did the 40 or 130 have Traction Booster or the quietness of a helical transmission? Not to mention the power and unmatchable snap of the governor. Do the 130 or 40 use sleeves? Makes for a much cheaper overhaul especially back in the day. I really don'r remember if the 40 or 130 have sleeves. What about power shift rear wheels? Then there was list price too. Yes the CA wasn't perfect but it was no slouch and could easily out perform a 130 or 40 in the field.

Edited by Lonn - 22 Mar 2011 at 10:07pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
John (MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 10:28pm
CA far better than the 40 or 130, but if we are talking B and not CA then I'd have to go with both the 40 and 130.  The B and the C may have been an improvement over the horse and mule but in my opinion there were better tractors being made than those AC models.
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:55pm
   Farmall A and JD H would be more in line with the B.
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 7:42am
Would not mind owning ah H Deere. I don't think they were much of a tractor and they had trouble with the drive off of the camshaft for the transmission but they are unique. I rarely ever see one and have never seen one actually doing something.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 7:54am
Originally posted by John (MO) John (MO) wrote:

CA far better than the 40 or 130, but if we are talking B and not CA then I'd have to go with both the 40 and 130.  The B and the C may have been an improvement over the horse and mule but in my opinion there were better tractors being made than those AC models.
Thank you I chose the B Because of the size and tecnology and I did not the ca because it would not be in the same catagory with the others.

Edited by R.W - 23 Mar 2011 at 8:14am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 8:03am
Originally posted by R.W R.W wrote:

Originally posted by John (MO) John (MO) wrote:

Thank you I chose the B Because of the size and tecnology and I did not day the ca because it would be in the same catagory with the others.

CA was produced concurrent with the IH Super C/Super A and 100/200 and the JD 40. Those would be better comparisons. The Allis B and C are concurrent with the IH A/B, JD H/M/MT. Those would be the better comparisons. I guess they produced the B for the same period as the CA for an economy tractor for those who couldn't afford the CA so you can throw the late B in with the CA. The late B did offer snap coupler hitch as an option.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
countryguy828 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryguy828 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 11:12am
I own an AC-B, its a great tractor that I can use almost everyday for back bladeing and Mowing.

I used to own a Farmall A, the only 2 things I ever did with it in the year I had it was Drive it on and off of the trailer and let it sit.

My Dad own's a late JD H that actually has electric start and hyd. It sits over 99% of the time, it might leave the shop every other year.  

The B with a 3pt conversion quickly becomes a useful little tractor.
The A and H, well perhaps if someone rigged a 3 pt to them it might help them, but the options aren't nearly as good. For the A no factory hydraulic so something would need rigged. For the H, who wants to try and do real work fiddling with a jumpy handclutch.

Lonn, Last year at our local show there was an 11 year old kid with a JD H, He had a mounted plow on it and actually plowed with it. The kid was smiling ear to ear. To me thats what these shows are about. His mother told me he saved all of his allowance money and such and bought that tractor himself.

Just my point of view,
Dave
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 11:34am
Originally posted by countryguy828 countryguy828 wrote:

Lonn, Last year at our local show there was an 11 year old kid with a JD H, He had a mounted plow on it and actually plowed with it. The kid was smiling ear to ear. To me thats what these shows are about. His mother told me he saved all of his allowance money and such and bought that tractor himself.

Just my point of view,
Dave

Would like to have seen that.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 2:08pm
I have a B but a Super A is more useful with the better hydraulics. 
I think most of these types of tractors were purchased with the implement attached and it stayed that way. If something else was needed they bought another tractor to mount that implement as it was to much trouble to take on and off. 
How many's B's and A's do you see that only had cultivators on them their whole life? 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 4:16pm
Believe it or not I answered this post last night.  The reply did not post for some reason.  Let's see if I can recall what I wrote last night.
My first thought was that when the B was introduced in 1937 there was nothing to compare it to.  International scrambled and came up with the A.  John Deere had the H but was that competition - no way.  It was years before competitors kind of caught up.  The 140 did not come out till the high 50's.  The M came out in the early 50's. 
Did they have better hyds.  Yes they did.  They were newer.
That said, even though the 140 and the M were newer and designed with better hyds and some implements we still had no trouble selling against them. 
The B was - as designed from the beginning - a very dependable, very economical, and most adaptable tractor.  Until they reached the end of their lives in 1957 they were a very good seller in our area.  IN fact, we were most upset when Allis Chalmers discontinued making them.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

JR Maley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR Maley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 8:29am
Of the three, who made the best one in 1937 or 1938?  

To copy/improve upon an original idea/design is easier than being ingenuitive.  (The Deere M was a decade late to the game.)

In the subjective catagory I would like to mention the Farmall's idiotic lopsided look.  I find the wide plush bench of the B more practical and better looking.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 9:38am
Allis caught the competition with their pants down when they came out with the B. Same with the fast stepping WC in 1934. The JD A and F20 became obsolete overnight and Deere and IH went into scramble mode. The WD45 had a somewhat similar effect. Those were surely the hay days for AC. 
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic