This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most overrated tractor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

Explain why?

I'm curious, also.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
Sponsored Links

Denis in MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Originally posted by powertech84 powertech84 wrote:

allis 7000, was supposed to be a revolution in tractor design but didn't deliver.
7000 maybe but 7000 series no. I really can't see the 7000 as overrated though as I always heard since I was a kid that the maroon belly 7000 was just a glorified 200 so maybe overrated by the company but to me at least not by farmers. That's how I see it.

The 8N is an excellent choice for being overrated.

My friend has a 7000 maroon belly that  would be a pretty sweet little tractor if it had a diff lock, that is one of the only major flaws I see with that tractor design wise other than the cab being about impossible for a 6ft tall 300 lb guy to get into.
1938 B, 1945 B, 1941 IB, 1949 C, 2 1938 WCs, 3 1950 WDs, 1951 WD, 2 1955 WD45, 1957 D-14
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:19pm
Gotta agree with the Cub and the Ford N's. I had to use one at a job I previously had and I HATED that thing. Just a big hunk of scrap metal! As for the cubs...over rated for under power. They still are, and always have been.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:54pm
I would say my Dad's John Deere 2010 but they were never hyped up, just big let downs.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:36am
Ford N.  Best thing that ever happened to the N-series, was the Ferg TO-series.  Harry at least recognized that agriculture was a diverse business with many challenges... Henry, on the other hand, had the attitude that 'one tractor fits all', and "if this doesn't work for you, you're doing it wrong".  So much for the customer always being right, eh?
tractorkid1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorkid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 6:07am
XT 190
Good View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 6:33am
B212,716,two 314H's,WC,WD,D19,190XT
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 6:53am
Im with D17 Dave. My thoughts EXACTLY !!!!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Ben (MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben (MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:01am

allis 7000, was supposed to be a revolution in tractor design but didn't deliver.
I have owned 2 model 7000 tractors, I always believed they were a model 200 w/ updated sheet metal and cab. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I had good luck with both and they made a lot of money for me. Just my $.02 worth.  I remember reading in Mr. Swinford's book that the 7010 was going to be the big revolution but was too expensive to build when first designed.

Edited by Ben (MI) - 10 Jan 2011 at 7:09am
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:21am
Originally posted by D-17_Dave D-17_Dave wrote:

8n is a good choice, M or MT Deere was a rotten contraption. Anything under a 140 Farmall was just a big/slow lawn mower. Too many tractors to list as ones I'll never bother wasting my time on. Anything made overseas from europe is a waste due to parts and poor enginering.
dave my dad said that the john deere MI with a wagner loader was a tuff little tractor(at olny 18 hp) but he did everything with that tractor befor he got a bobcat he  said if you knew how to use the loader right you could just about any thing .But the stearing was another thing you can now turn the steraing wheel about a full turn befor the wheels start turning . I would post pictures of it but i cant figure out how to upload them from my camera.and i aregree that any smaller than a 140 in a slow lawn mowr but alot fo produce farmers still use then to cultivate. sorry fore the long post and the new compact john deeres are overated.
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:25am
now back in the late 30's and early 40's after walking behind a team of horses or mules all day I bet you'd have thought any of these were the greatest inventions of their day (which they all were) picking on them 60+ years later and comparing to more modern equipment does make them look lacking, but I think you have to get in to the 50's & 60's before promises out ran the tractor  JMHO
BTW - I think my MF 135 is one of the best ever built in it's class! (at least it's AGCO!)
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:27am
Originally posted by BrettPhillips BrettPhillips wrote:

An Allis B or C will work a pre-1947 JD B into the ground in short order.  Later ones with the pressed steel frame are a different story.  Next on my list of worthless tractors would be the 9N Ford.  A fair butt buggy, but not much of a tractor.

If the pressed frame didn't break in half like many did but an uncle of mine, who was an AC man through and through, still had a soft spot for those B's. Didn't like driving the A's.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Toneman1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toneman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:27am
I think the 8N was an excellent "lawn Mower", and probably the best choice for the guy with one acre or so.  Other than that I dunno!
Don't worry about the mule going blind, just load the wagon.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:22am

Originally posted by DREAM DREAM wrote:

8N has my vote. Ever tried doing ignition work on one? If you've ever had one, you are probably nodding right now. LOL!
Ever tried doing ignition work the right way? You can take the whole assembly off with two bolts and do everything on your work bench. Not that i'm saying the 8n was a usefull tractor, i'd never waste money on one. Just thought we might as well stick to the facts a little.

yep and another fact is that in 50 they changed to a side mounted dist.
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:01am
Any Fordson or Ford before the Jubilee.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:15am
I think the reason the Ford N's were/are popular was due to the 3 point system which allowed farmers to share expensive implements.Let's face it money was very,very tight after WWII.My 2N was a nice little tractor,did what I bought it for(needed 3point !) to borrow a cultivator.I'm all Orange now!
ALL tractors have there 'sore' spots, the infamous D-14 3rd gear popout is one example yet I own TWO of them !
As long as you don't overwork any tractor, I think it boils down to repair costs..parts availabilty,service.PS. I'm still waiting for the local AGCo dealer to call me back about my D-14 anti-surge spring(been 10 weeks today)(Sandy Lake Imp. sent me two of them 8 weeks ago !!)
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Reeseholler View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reeseholler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 1:37pm
hmm. I really don't know. I have a Farmall MD and I love the tractor. Don't like the transmission but the diesel has much more lugging power. A well tuned M runs great. The 8N was good for small jobs or tight spaces. Couldn't turn real short but its compact. Olivers aren't given enough credit some times. My pap's JD A runs beautifully and has quite a bit of power for a two cyl. It's really a hard call but I would probably have to say the JD 2010. It all depends on how the tractor runs. If it runs great, its hard to say its over rated. If it runs poorly or has something wrong with it, you can apply it to any make. 
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:19pm
I know my neighbor went from a 190XT to a Maroon 7000 and was disappointed. Both were bought new but maybe he expected more out of the 7000 running a Rhino offset disk and a large Heston Square Baler (One of those that just made large stacks of loose hay), he couldn't move the bales without considerable weight up front. 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:21pm
Only used a 9N to rake with but it seemed OK, the foot controls took a bit to get used to. The 3 point was handy as heck I'm sure. Otherwise my neighbor ran it for 50 years with no problems.
Charlie

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:22pm
The M's i've driven were good and powerful, the H on the other hand was a dog.
Charlie

TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:40pm
Someone finally mentioned the overweight, underpowered, clumsy Farmall H.  Might be OK for tractor drives as long as you didn't try to pull anything behind it, and the hills weren't too steep.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:59pm
Speaking of Hs. The JD H had to be the biggest waste of green paint that there ever was. I've never heard of these little Hs being really hyped, but what a worthless little tractor!
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 3:22pm
I agree with Ford N series being the most over rated followed closely by all of the off set Farmalls. All of the Cubs I've seen with belly mowers had a large Briggs&Stratton or some other similar engine to run the deck.
If you really want a decent tractor the size of an N, and better than an NAA, Find a Super 55 or 550 Oliver. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
RSponenberg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSponenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 3:24pm
4020 John Deere gets my vote,way over priced for there age!!!!
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:21pm
Reason I said  6080 ,I worked for a dealer over 15 years .They sold over 40 of these .After chasing just about everyone of them with the engine problem ,until AC found a so call fix.With many of them getting new  engine blocks .Most guys had loaders on them around here they tore out the rears. Range trans was not set up the best for speeds.Low too low ,med was to close to low  and high was just too high it seemed for these guys .Lots of hills around here .I just learned to hate the 6080 .You know what they say ,get a bad taste of something ,you know the rest of story.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:55pm
I only ran a 6080 once.  The JD dealer loaned us a trade in to load up the bedding after the county fair.  It had a cab and of course a loader with  MFD.  It just seemed slow and unresponsive compared to my IHC 2500 backhoe loader.
I agree the 2N and 9N tractors are over rated but the 8N was an improvement with more power, a 4 speed transmission and better brakes and operators station (foot pads).
The big selling point over everything else was the 3 point hitch.  Our neighbors had some Fergusons from the late '40s early '50's which were better then the Ford with the two stage clutch and overhead valve engine.  We had AC B's and C's back then and I had a lot easier time driving the Fergies.

Edited by JohnCO - 10 Jan 2011 at 4:56pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 5:00pm
I agree for loader work the 6080 tranny was not the best. Used one for years to clean out chicken houses, Reverse was way fast in high and slow in anything else. Otherwise it performed good in the field cutting hay or tillage.
Charlie

Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 6:11pm
I owned an 8N and I suppose compared to a Fordson or a team of horses it might have been an improvement.

My dad always said a Farmall H would replace a team of horses, but not a GOOD team of horses. I had an H too, the flat top WC was a better tractor on the belt, pto or pulling, but the H had electric start & hydrualics and a faster road gear.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 6:35pm
Yep, that faster road gear is the only thing I see better on a Farmall than my D17.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Tricky Dickie View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Dickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 6:43pm
Has to be the Field Marshal!

Tricky Dickie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic