This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weather Cracked Tires?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weather Cracked Tires?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:57pm

Is there anything that you can do to weather checked tires to make them look better? I'm thinking that there is some kind of paste or something to help fill in cracks. Am I dreaming or is there such a thing?

Just when I thought I was finishing my "honey-do-list", she turned the page!!!
Sponsored Links

AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 10:05pm
The only things I know of are either Armor All or they make a special paint to paint tractor tires, I've seen it at shows and pulls.  Depending on the severity of your cracks the best option would maybe just to buy new tires.

A blown rubber may have brought you into this world but you don't want one to take you out!
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 12:31am
Gempler's and /or miller tire have that paste. And  tire paint to cover it. I don't know how effective it is.

Gerald J.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 9:29pm
That paste won't make your tires any stronger.  The cracks have made them weak already.
Osage_Orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osage_Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 11:07pm
There's a local tire repair shop that "vulcanizes" tractor tires. Cost around $100 +/- for a 14.9 X 28.  They said it would repair breaks in the tire, so presume it would also seal the cracking somehow.  I don't know any more about it............might be worth checking into.

Edited by Osage_Orange - 21 Oct 2010 at 10:59pm
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?
Jamie (KY) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 2:29am

The cracks look like lightning streaks. They are all at the top of the tire following each lug back and forth. Other than the cracks the tires look new. They shine good and everything, but it sat in a barn for 20+ years. They do have tubes in them. What's the chances of them completely splitting in two? The tractor will never be used to do anything heavy. Just loading and unloading at shows and a few rides every now and then.

The paste that I found is around $60 and the tire paint is another $20 for a quart. I'm thinking that it should do both tires. Is it worth it?
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 5:33am

At some point in time tires will come apart. lol

3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 7:47am
Don: It is just the tread, won't it still hold air? just glue some tennis shoe soles around it.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 7:55am
-could try gorilla tape,  I hear it's strong and sticks to anything

Jamie (KY) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:39am
Dad already uses Gorilla Glue for everything. Don't give him any ideas!
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:42am
LOL

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:04am
Best tires for mowing around Locust I have found to be the older crazed and hardened tires, they just will not puncture like a fairly new tire.  Cracks don't make the tire any less usable until the body of the tire breaks away from the rubber shell.

Cosmetically the cracks look bad but I do nothing to try to fix them.

Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:13am
Jamie, My D-14 rears are cracked badly. I did have one patched by a tire shop and they added some putty (poor looking job) only because I bush hog with it and the tube was visible. Otherwise, I use the tractor to move firewood (1000# units on 3 pt forks)and other chores with no problem. Sounds to me like your tires are fit to do what you want but might have some cosmetic improvement. Bob@allisdowneast
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:13am

When the 4H and FFA kids restored tractors and brought them to the state fair, the painted tires really didn't look any better and in my opinion looked better left alone. Once Titan started donating tires to 4H and FFA projects, I haven't seen many tractors that didn't have new tires on them.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 10:11am

My WD has a loader and chains on all year around, the tires a badly weather cracked, cracks are at least 3/8 wide, just in the face of the tire, not on the sidewalls.  Been that way for years, has tubes and fluid, as long as it doesnt leak Im gonna use it. 

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 10:17am
My WD tires have had cracks like you describe for years. Tractor works everyday with a loader, bush hog, blade etc. and even tractor pulls occasionally. The cracks have never got any worse and have never been a problem. I've seen some with black silicone to fill the cracks but it shows shinier than the rest of the tire.
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 12:03am
The weather checks and cracks are mostly cosmetic, but the cracks do allow sunlight, ozone and chemicals to get to the ply cords and this will weaken the tire.  My advice to those with weather checked and cracked tires is to keep them painted with the black tire paint to seal them and keep the sunlight, ozone and chemicals from penetrating to the ply cords.  This will prolong the life of your tires.
(P.S.)  I worked in the Freeport Good Year tire factory for 17 years.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 11:19am
a little roofing cement black tar and diesel fuel making it more runny. is a little home brew that makes cracks less noticeable.

Edited by mlpankey - 22 Oct 2010 at 11:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic