This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7040 maroon belly shifter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7040 maroon belly shifter
    Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:20am
Periodically my 7040 will get stuck in two gears when shifted. It seems to happen less when shifted at low rpm. Yesterday it happened again and I pulled shifter realigned and put back together.unit works properly again. My question is to my untrained eye's I'm not seeing what is worn allowing this to happen. Just curious if there is possibly an easy fix. I don't feel I'm being overly aggressive and I've ran this style of ac for thirty some years.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:03am
I assume you are talking the floor shifter ????  I've never had one ever bother with what you are experiencing.  I'd have to look into the shifter hole to determine if there's any extra space/gaps created and remove the cover itself and see if it can be addressed. My guess is there's a setscrew loose?? or a certain part that was never made quite correctly and now in its old age is causing trouble.
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:37am
Yes the floor shifter. When it happens I remove metal dust cover then a snap ring and pull shifter up and out. Realign with a screw driver or punch. Reinstall shifter and it works properly again. It doesn't happen Alot but has happened several times. This is the only maroon belly I have experienced this on.
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:47am
One more note I can make is it's only when shifting from 2nd or 3rd to 4th.or 2ND or 3rd to 1st/reverse. And when it happens shifter will not move at all and neither will tractor. I probably schould not say stuck in two gears more stuck between gears tractor acts like it's in neutral but doesn't roll or bog down engine when clutch is let out
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:00am
In theory, if the shift cover has all the interlock pins installed and working properly, there's no way to actually get it into two gears at once. Only one shift rail can move out of the neutral position at a time. The other two shift rails cannot move when the other one is moved first.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 8:52pm
Sounds like a worn out old WD45. I'm older than Dr. And I have never saw that happen either. They have been a bullet proof shifter.    MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic