This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7000 No Hydraulics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7000 No Hydraulics
    Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:44am
I am in need of some help please. I have searched, read a lot, found a lot of suggestions, so far I'm having no luck. 

Yesterday I was using my 7000 Maroon Belly running my rock picker. When I dumped what turned out to be the last load, I lost all hydraulics. I have no steering, no remotes, no lift arms. The clutch and power director work. Up until this point everything has been working great. 

What I have tried/checked is;

The clamps on the bottom of the pump were and are tight. 

It also had puked some oil out of the shifter at the same time it stopped working. At first I was thinking possibly it got hot so I shut it down and went to lunch. After lunch I checked the oil level. It was sunny, it was hard to see the exact level (I'm not a fan of the sight glass method, I'd much prefer a dip stick), but it was low. I added some fluid and again, with the sun, I did over fill it slightly. I started it back up, no change.  

Next I took the line marked with the red arrow off and the pump was full, no need to add any oil there. Then I took off the metal line, filled up the pump and started the tractor - nothing. 

Next, with the tractor running I cracked the 3 lines marked with arrows and got the following results;

From the red arrow line I got nothing, and I mean nothing. Once I checked the fitting this line felt like I could have completely removed and replaced it by hand. 

From the line marked by the blue arrow I got a nice steady flow of clean, clear oil. 

From the line marked with the white arrow I got a mess, as shown below. This line spit a steady flow of oil with seemingly a lot of air mixed in. Obviously it's foamy but there I'm also due for an oil change so there is also some moisture in it. Not THAT much, but some. The air mixed in seemed to get a little better but it never completely turned into a nice steady flow like the blue line. You can see it spitting in the picture below. 

It also puked a little more out of the shifter, although not much.

It was getting late in the day, rain was in forecast, and the tractor is stuck in the field, so I didn't take the pump off to do any further investigating. The rain came, so I figured I'd ask here to see what else I should try before digging in any deeper. 

Any advice, ideas, or words of wisdom are certainly appreciated. 

Edited by Play Farmer - 19 May 2018 at 11:46am
Sponsored Links

Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 1:53pm
When you say maroon belly..does it have the gear shift on the floor?

How about putting a gauge in a coupler to check pressure?

Might be a relief valve?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 3:29pm
Sounds like an internal pump issue to me.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 4:04pm
Blue is traction booster
White is the priority flow for steering
Red is secondary flow, (whatever is left from the main pump section after the flow divider)
Puking oil out the shifter and the foaming oil sounds like you have a suction leak.
I would suspect a pump problem since you are not getting any flow out of the secondary.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:27pm
How much oil did you add? Sounds like it ran out of oil and started sucking air and now lost prime. I would replace front seal in pump, turn pump up side down, fill pump with 80w oil while turning shaft. Put pump back on and start engine at least 1/2 throttle.    MACK
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:47am
Thanks for the suggestions. As soon as the weather clears up I'll get it off. 
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 6:41am
FIXED! 
The weather cleared up so I headed to the tractor to get the pump off. I had decided I'd bite the bullet and pay the price and get it rebuilt. When I took it off I was greeted to what you see below. I had been working the hydraulics fairly hard, apparently hard enough to push out the seal. A trip to my local NAPA found, no matter what their computer said, none in stock. Obviously it held pressure well so a little Loctite retaining compound to help hold it and I tapped it back in.  

As suggested, we tipped it on it's nose and filled it while turning the shaft. Everything went back together well, fired the tractor back up and everything was working well. It took a minute to get the steering back, as expected, but it's fine now. I hooked on to the disc and ran them for a few hours, everything is working as it should. 

It's good to be back running. Thumbs Up

Edited by Play Farmer - 22 May 2018 at 6:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic