This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Little Wax...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Little Wax...
    Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:18pm
...works wonders! For those of y'all that don't know the story, my great-grandpa bought this All-Crop 60A new in 1950. Having been a teenager/young adult during the Great Depression and Dust Bowl in northwestern Oklahoma, he knew how to skimp and save, and thus never could justify building a barn for his machines. He used the combine regularly until 1983, but it has always sat outside. I took a couple minutes today to apply a little wax to the header and grain bin, and I couldn't believe my eyes how much difference just a little wax makes! After sitting outside for 68 years, the combine was very chalky yellow-orange at best, but after the wax, the richness and luster of the Persian Orange rivals that of my restored B! It looks like it's been inside all these years. I can't wait to do the whole thing, even though I'm sure it'll be a lot of work. 

These photos really don't do it justice...I can almost see my reflection in the waxed paint! It's a lot deeper orange than what the photos show. 

A note on this photo...I don't know what that wire hanging on the homemade bin extension represents...it's been there a long time, though. 

Here's just a photo of the combine with the B today...with harvest arriving in a couple weeks, I need to get a move on getting it field ready.

Edited by CrestonM - 17 May 2018 at 7:21pm
Sponsored Links

Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:50pm
Carefully try some rubbing compound before wax on a small area, you might get even better results. Would be a ton of work to do a whole machine though
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:16pm
That's a good idea. I will try that. 

I'm not too worried about how much work it will be...ol' Shameless said he's gonna come help. (By "help" I mean "do all the work"!) Just gotta make sure to hide the 8N first...
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:34pm
Very good looking combine for setting out all those years! Good pictures. Keep waxing!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:50pm
"Wax on.....Wax off....Wax on.......Wax off......"
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:28pm
i am sure a believer in a good diesel fuel bath and wipe down and a good coat of wax after will keep those work clothes looking good ,  i sure would like to come operate that rig for a day
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:45pm
This particular rig you wouldn't...the B will run it in 2nd gear fine on flat ground (which nearly everything is around here) but get on much of a slope with the bin over half full, and you'll be spinning tires and sliding back down the hill! I learned that in 2016.
In other words, using the B keeps you on your toes. On the other hand...a friend of mine has a Deere A, and using it on my other combine works like a dream. Adequate weight, and tons of power to spare! 
We'll have 2 of these combines in the field this year, so slide on over east and you can come check 'em out! 

Edited by CrestonM - 17 May 2018 at 10:54pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:13pm
take sum baking soda and mix in warm water, go over the faded chalky area then rinse, works like rubbing compound, but a lot cheaper and not as aggressive to take a lot of paint off! guess you never seen a pashonate pink combine before eh? would match the color of yer ferd tractor wanna-be.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 1:19am
Pink on an Allis Chalmers is a hanging offense!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Jim Hancock Jim Hancock wrote:

"Wax on.....Wax off....Wax on.......Wax off......"

Jim the first thing you know he will be going around "Jap slapping" everything!!!!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
BradH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:22pm
My father-in-law recently inhererted the JD 2510 his dad bought new in 1966.  It was repainted at least once, maybe twice and has sat inside most of the time.  We were discussing a new coat of paint while doing some work on it a few weeks ago. I had some 2000 grit sandpaper handy so I rubbed it in a few spots.  I think with the baking soda trick from a previous post, maybe some sanding, and a coat of wax we shouldn't need to paint much of it. 

Later,
Brad
Warning! Blind man with a tractor! Head for the hills!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:26pm
can I help Brad? **jumping up and down waving my arms**
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:33pm
My Dad had a 66 combine like that once. We run it behind our 60hp White. We never did run it behind the D10. I guess the D10 would have run it. It has quiet a bit more power than my B. I believe my B would have problems handling that combine.
BradH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:46pm
Of course you can help Shameless.  But I thought you might be afraid to touch green paint.  Also, all the lawn chair supervisor positions are spoken for, sorry.

Later,
Brad
Warning! Blind man with a tractor! Head for the hills!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:38pm
not afraid to touch green paint with my pashonate pink paint! and I can brings my own chair, mine has beer can holders on it!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:14am
Anything that would sit outside around this neck of the woods for 68 years wouldn't exsist anymore. It would've went back to the earth again. That dry Western climate out there preserves items (especially sheetmetal) much better than the climate round' here.... Confused
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:34am
Rubdown with boiled linseed oil brings out the shine and lasts as long as wax.
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:40pm
If you're in the polishing mood Creston, I've got a few tractors here that you could practice on....
Those two together look GREAT.  Keep up the good work.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 6:52pm
Thanks, guys! I waxed a little more today, since it wasn't unbearably hot and humid, even though we got 1/2" rain last night. I made a crude buffer out of a very large (3" diameter) washer and a short length of steel rod. Tacked the rod in the middle of the washer (I put a filler piece in the hole) and used a little trim adhesive to lightly stick a buffing pad on the other side of the washer. Put that in my handheld drill and went after it. Granted, it isn't just perfectly balanced, but it works pretty good and makes the job go a lot quicker! I stood back and could see my reflection pretty well on the backside of the separator, so I'd say it's working. 

Oh, and Ted...my other 60A was repainted by the PO. It REALLY looks nice paired with the B! 

Edited by CrestonM - 20 May 2018 at 6:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic