This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1944 Model B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1944 Model B
    Posted: 16 May 2018 at 5:50pm
Hi,
I have just acquired a 1944 model B which was imported to the UK in 1943.  It was registered for use in January 1944.  It's in reasonable condition but missing an exhaust.  It only has a small hole in the bonnet, is this the right bonnet?  It also has 2 tanks, one for petrol and the other for what?  We used tractor vaporising oil.  What was it built for in the US? Paraffin? 
Thanks in anticipation..

Hubie
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 5:56pm
Small tank for gas, large tank for distillate(Kerosene).  Start and stop, on gas, runs on kerosene.  B's have a small, under-hood muffler, with a short pipe, that comes out that little hole...

Edited by DiyDave - 16 May 2018 at 5:57pm
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:40pm
Hubie, welcome to the Forum. And X2 on what DiyDave says.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Hubie View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:37am
Good to know, thank you very much for posting.  I'll have a search for the muffler at the weekend.      
Hubie View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:38am
Thanks again!
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:37am
Hubie,  Thank you for acquiring my FAVORITE Allis Chalmers Tractor, the B.  You will find it to be a very dependable, efficient, and easy to work on.  As stated above the two tanks are for gasoline - small tank - and distillate - large tank.  You start the tractor on gasoline till it warms up then switch to distillate.  I cannot remember my father selling one of these we only used gasoline.  The distillate units are rather rare.  I would imagine this one was shipped to England for use during WWII.  Since gasoline was rationed in the USA and I believe in Great Brittan too it was probably the right unit for the time.  Take good care of my favorite.  Let us know how it goes.
Enjoy the Royal Wedding this weekend.  It is almost all we talk about here.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Yes, the muffler is an under hood muffler
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 2:39pm
Thinking a little further about this B, it may be wise to get the serial number - as you know it is to the rear of the gear shift - and compare it to the serial number section of this forum.  That will give you the definite date the unit was made.  If it was made in 1943 or even early 1944 it could well be a "war-time" unit.  That means that there could be some unique parts.  For example, stamped steel had military use  therefore such stamped steel items like a valve cover or an oil pan could be cast iron.  Also, usually these units came through without electric - no starter, generator, or lights and the wiring that went with it.  You can tell by a plug in the starter opening, a small triangle by the front of the battery to make the tool box more fitting, and stud holes on the block for a generator.   Rubber also was needed for the war so many of these tractors came through with steel wheels.  There were also other items such as wider fenders to keep the dust down and higher air cleaner intake pipes to keep away from the dust.
After the war most of the "war-time" items were replaced making the tractor more efficient. Take a good look at the oil pan or the valve cover.  Usually these were not replaced.  
Could be a really special unit.
Again, take good care of my favorite. 
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  By the way if you want an under hood muffler or any other parts, go to some of our forum sponsors.
Hubie View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 3:51pm
Hi Bill,

Thanks for that.  I really like the old girl.  I've found the number, B6 860.  I can't see another number.  I'll try looking it up.

Looking forward to getting her out to do some work.  Waiting for a new filter and we'll be away.  

Thanks again.

Hubie
Hubie View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 4:38pm
Bill,  I found the number now, it's clearer on the original registration document. B 64860 which makes it a 1943 model.  The 4 on the gearbox was not clear.

Hubie
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 4:59pm
Hubie, where in the UK do you live?  I have English on my father's side.  My grandmother was born in Scotland.  My wife, my mom, & I went on a tour of England in 2002.  Mom's been to Scotland & Ireland.  Wife's been to Ireland.  A tour of Scotland is on my bucket list.
Dbaroso View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dbaroso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:56am
I recently found and bought what I thought was an Allis Chalmers "B" with a sickle mower and couldn't be more excited. After further inspection the serial number actually starts with the letter C ie. C4526. Am I to assume what I really have is a "C" model?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:21am
Could be a Frankenchalmer. Bs and Cs have a lot of interchangeable parts. It boils down to what you have the most of I guess.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:02pm
Basically, the B is a one row tractor with a wide front and one row rear for one row cultivation.  The C is a two row tractor usually with a tricycle or narrow front - although there were a few wide front C's available.  The real difference is in the wider rear to allow the C to cultivate two usual corn rows.  Also, you can identify the C by looking at how the connection to the front steering wheels comes out of the gear box.  With the B the Steering arm comes out pointing down, while with the C the steering arm points up.  Mechanically they are basically the same tractor with some refinements in the gear ratios.
Good Luck!
Bill Long 
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:48pm
If you can post us a picture. 
Good Luck!
Bill Long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic