This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 and 175

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 and 175
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:25am
Well folks after the past 3 days in the field seeding back a 10 acre piece I have covered lots of acres and hours on both of my 'new to me ' tractors which I really did not need to acquire. I love them both; they operate as they just were delivered from the dealers show room floor. A big surprise to me is that Perkins engine. This is the first non Allis made engine out of our 11 tractors on the farm. It is a gutsy torquey little power plant to say the least. It is loud too even with headphones and ear protection. The 185's engine on the other hand has to be the smoothest running engine Allis ever built? Our XT3 and 185#1 run smooth also so I don't know if it's me or the fact I haven't been in the field for 8 months but this 185(#2) seems to be the smoothest runner yet. Under plowing and discing and dragging loads going up steep hills there's no smoke just sewing machine smoothness on both tractors, of course the 301 being way more smooth. . What an engine and tractor Allis made! Guess I'm just sayin' I have fallen in love twice again! Crazy!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:36am
Before you get in trouble with the madam and you need a place to hide your new loves I will hide them at my place and she will never know. You can even come and see them once in a while!!!
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:41am
The 180 185 diesels were indeed one the A-Cs finer efforts, there was a LOT of them sold around here. The reputation for that tractor was such that quite a few bleed green farmers   had a 185  in the machine shed.  I had a nice one for a few years but a fellow came along that wanted it more than I and it went down the road.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:50pm
I have both and I will still take the 175D for brushhogging because of the smoothness of the big stick, and the economy of 540 pto at around 1700 rpm.  The 185 shines on the 80" rotovator mainly because of the hydraulic pto clutch...easy to engage, never have to feather the clutch to engage it. It does gardens, so I engage and disengage the pto a lot!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:48pm
Rutledge....you gots a trailer? we could go stea....uh....borrow a couple while he's out flying around!
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:00am
Eldon I hear ya and totally agree...the stick and maneuverability of the 175 along with it is built like a pit bull or Army tank compared to the Cadillac ride and sssmmmooothness of the hydraulic systems of the 185 make the two like opposite siblings in the same family. Lol. Shameless you won't have any problems steal I mean borrowing any of our herd because I am gone way more than I am here. But beware! When the hay's ready I will be here and not aloft.....
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:27am
Shameless, te trailer is hooked and ready. Lets wait till captain fills up their fuel tank then we will head that way. You want me to come and pick you up?
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:27am
Great tractors we have a 185 with turbo and straight chrome pipe. Everyone wants to drive this tractor. Also have a 170 diesel and we like the way the hand clutch operates. Have acquired a 500 series loader for this tractor.
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:58am
yeah, you better picks me up, oh...and Capt. if yer missing 1 or 2, you know we'll takes good care of them while yer gone, just so ya know where they might be playing at!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic