This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifold found

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifold found
    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 10:56am
While working on my HD16, I took exhaust manifold off for cleaning, replacing the gaskets and painting.

Found a small hole the size of a large pencil on one of the ports. I am taking it to a fabricator whom has done some nice work for me on battery boxes and other tractor parts.

While looking around for possible replacement manifold in the event something bad happens, I found one at
Zimmerman Tractor in Missouri. It won't fit mine as it is for a turbo and Titus told me it is sitting on a HD16DP. Not familiar with that model but he said it is in great shape, all 3 pieces and they want $450.00 for it. Has the mount for the turbo on it so won't work on mine.

Just thought I would let anyone of you know where it is at.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:03am
they used to have a 16000 engine there as I got the clutch assembly off of it but it must be gone now. 
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 3:27pm
My sand blaster guy opened up a hole that was round and the size of a pencil in diameter. Now see it on the pics. Taking to my fabricator to see if we can fit a steel plate over it and weld to the side of the manifold. no way to fix this material directly as it is paper thin.

Taking it in for surgery. I think my guy can just go over this and the side wall seems pretty solid to weld to. He did tell me that manifolds are easy to weld up if there is enough carbon left in the steel to take a weld. He went on to say that the years of high heat and then cooling down strips carbon out of the steel. Didn't know that. But then,,, thats why Im not welding it. Will send pics when done.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 9:43am
Could braze it.. Have brazed many manifolds over the years.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 10:13am
should have sold you mine, maby I would have got paid.

Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:03am
This manifold is about done but it can be repaired with cast iron rod and a torch.  You can buy the rod at most welding rod dealers it is square and available in different sizes, pick up some high temp flux at the same time. As with most paper thin things to weld heat direction is critical, watch for it to wet out, you will see what mean and build it back, actually, easier than brazing and is permanent, depending on the manifold temp brass doesn't usually last very long and peels up. Don't worry about pre-heat or cool-down on something like this it is not necessary. A tig torch can be used but the heat concentration is very narrow and a bit harder to control. I need to weld an exhaust manifold from a Model M John Deere, if you have questions I can do pictures and step by step. Don't use nickel or arc.     My 00.02 Tad  
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:15am
Took it to my fabricator. They are local and do custom welding and restoration work. Thank you for the suggestion and will share pics when I get it back.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:16am
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

should have sold you mine, maby I would have got paid.

Agreed. That is such a shame that you were helping someone out and get bit.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:50am
Thanks Tad. Would love to see pics of your work.

I sent it to a company I trust as replacing this manifold is not something I want to be forced to have to do. I have not taken up welding yet and have been lucky so far to not have many repairs that require welding. Want to take some welding classes at the community college to learn the basics
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 6:48am
Group. Is $650.00 a fair price for a exhaust manifold for my HD16DC?

It looks pretty food looking at the pics of it. Thoughts?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:00am
sounds high to me but I've never tried to buy one

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

sounds high to me but I've never tried to buy one

I thought so as well. The one I listed earlier for 450.00 was not for my HD16DC as it had the turbo mount. This one is $650.00 plus shipping from California. I would be forced to buy if mine takes a crap but looking at over $700.00 in all to get it back o Michigan.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 10:58am
Got my exhaust manifold and stock muffler done and ready to mount.

Before pic of manifold

After

I repaired the muffler but have a fabricator/welder company I work with and they did the repair on the manifold. They said likely would not take a weld as the carbon was likely gone from the metal. They were shocked it not took a weld but allowed them to cut back material to beef it up. The rest is a ceramic paint made to hold up to 2400 degrees.

Cost me $140 repair for the manifold. Sure beats spending 650.00 plus shipping from the West costs for another one I found.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:10am
looks good, it will probably outlast you.

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:25am
Thank you. It's pretty solid.
rickv57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickv57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:55am
Nice-looking repair job Jerry
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 4:14pm
Thank you Rick. I repaired the muffler but not the manifold.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 5:22pm
I have a guy who have a good exhaust manifold for HD16 like yours
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:23am
They are worth their weight in gold right now Gemdozer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic