This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 pulling tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 pulling tractor
    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:54pm
I have two young boys that want to get into tractor pulling after we went to some local antique tractor pulls, my neighbor has a d17 diesel without the diesel engine but has a 262 gas he was going to put in it, anyway he offered it to me cheap as my boys help him out a lot, I don't know anything about pulling or the rules, so here in Wisconsin would they allow this set up to pull?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 6:33am
Maybe for exhibition or an "open" class. You'd have to check with a local antique club that you'd be pulling with as to whether they'd allow it or not.
WI-Fields View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WI-Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 10:09am
Here is a interesting bit. There were cotton pickers that used a d17 for the motivation. They had the 262 gas in them.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 1:41pm
But, I'm pretty sure A-C sold them with a disclaimer of "not to be used for drawbar work". They were only a cotton picker power unit as I understand it.
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 4:27pm
Your boys could have a lot of fun with a D17 and a 226 gas. Depends on the rules..
mjbower View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjbower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:29pm
Yes I think the best bet is stick with the 226 it will fit right no big modifications. And if runs good and there's a good set of tires under it them boys will have a great time. Keep them outta the house and away from those video games. Good luck to you and them.
Acllss puller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acllss puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 6:35pm
Yep so good fuel , electronic ignition and a mild cam and have lots of fun !!!
chuck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:42am
Thanks for the replies, well we went ahead and bought it anyway, its actually a really nice tractor perfect tin, power steering and had a narrow and a wide front for it. He threw the diesel engine in with it, only has a few good parts but mostly scrap. Going to check the local rules but he gave it to us for $300 bucks with the good gas engine, so if anything we will make us a nice gas guzzling farm tractor out of it. Lol
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:25pm
Hope your boys have a grand time with the D17. I am a old fart and still having a good time when the D17 churns up some dirt. May not win much but keeps the other puller on there toes!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic