This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potato planting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potato planting
    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:25pm
Now that Shameless let off with his machine, at least I hope it stays that way, I planted some potatoes today. I got 8-100’ rows in with the WD45, s/c disk, lister and the John Deere listed cultivator that was converted to snap coupler.

I plowed it last fall with the three bottom slat plow, then disked it today and then took the lister and made the furrows. I put some old hay and straw a couple inches thick in the furrow, as I’ve read that it’s supposed to help them. Then I took the listed cultivator with the disks turned to fill in the furrows, and hill them. It seemed to work good, I guess I never got pictures of the rows, maybe I’ll get some tomorrow.
Does anyone else on here have a way to plant potatoes? It’s always nice to see the different methods. Last year we used the lister, but filled them in with a shovel, then later I cultivated them with that John Deere one, and dug them back out with the lister. As long as we don’t get any more white stuff, they should be alright....
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:27pm
you must eat lots of taters! whew!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:50am
I have a one row horse drawn potato planter and horse drawn digger that we use. Might have some pics somewhere.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Kurt WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurt WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:23am
Do you plant them by hand? How many pounds of seed potatoes did it take?
WD D17D 170 190xt 190xtIII 200 7020
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:11am
Good thing for you young'uns to do stuff like that. Keeps ya out of trouble! LOL! I admire your ambition. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:09am
I founds me sum big ole plastic tubs at wally world for a dollar a piece, i'm gonna plant sum red taters in them today!
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I founds me sum big ole plastic tubs at wally world for a dollar a piece, i'm gonna plant sum red taters in them today!

Did that last year, worked out pretty good.  Make sure you put a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Orange Glow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:35am
That doesn’t mean you’re planning on some more ‘pretty’, and then you can just bring yours inside, does it Shameless?
Actually, that sounds like a good idea, and then you just dump the containers out and pick up the potatoes when they’re ready.
Kurt, yes I planted them by hand, and it actually wasn’t too bad with the lister and cultivator. Before I got the lister, we used a horse drawn potato plow tied to the three point arm, and that was a days work!
I planted about 110 pounds of potatoes.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:39pm
my back gave me a twinge, just thinkin of the harvest
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:50pm
I hope the helpers are just patrolling for gophers and not looking for your seed potatoes to make gopher stew with potatoes  LOL.
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:52pm
Hey Ray are you going to the Best in the West ?  I'm planning on bring my fleet.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 12:35am
we puts our taters in the ground/garden last year, only gots a few feedings off it. found out one of our labs was a tater lover and every time she went out, she'd dig herself up sum taters and eat them! lol hopefully we'll be able to keep these while ina tub!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:42am
Birdman, these tubs is bouts 20 inches across at the top, maybe plant 3 taters? or should I sticks to 2?
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 12:54pm
Some one once told me that the way to plant potatoes is to stack about four tires together, fill em full of black dirt/potting soil. Plant one tater in it. Then, as the potato plant grows, keep adding tires and more dirt, just keeping the plant above the top tire. Then at the end of the growing season, you may be about 10 to 12 tires high, all of which will be full of potatoes. Start in-stacking the tires and reap your harvest. Darrel
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 1:48pm
The "listed cultivator" was or is known in some places as a "go-devil" or "go-dig".  I know they were used in the pre-planter or pre-chemical days, particularly on non-hill listed crops-corn, soybeans & milo.  They worked well on flat bottom land. There is some discussion of this subject over on Yesterdays Tractors.  Just one of many passes over corn in the old-days but good for weed and grass control if you caught it early.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 6:32pm
Yes allis g I intend on going.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:15am
Shameless, Darrel.

For container growing, you need to check out this video on determinate and indeterminate potatoes.

It does make sense to me.

Elliott
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:33am
Shameless, Darrel.

For container growing, you need to check out this video on determinate and indeterminate potatoes.

It does make sense to me.

Elliott
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:55am
We grew some potatoes in hay bales .Had old square bales starting to rot .Spread sections apart and dropped seed in .Keep watered and when harvesting just spread hay apart and pick up clean potatoes.
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Birdman, these tubs is bouts 20 inches across at the top, maybe plant 3 taters? or should I sticks to 2?

I'd do 2 seed taters 12 inches apart but no more.  I just watched the you-tube vid. posted, pretty interesting.  I may mess with mine this year to see which type they are.
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:00pm
I have plowed a furrow and then put the seed spuds in and then just covered with straw.  Got down 8 to 10" and had an open furrow.  When filled with the straw, the spuds came out nice and easy and mostly clean.  Worked like a charm!!  Really didn't have a problem with rodents or anything burrowing or digging into them.  Easiest way I ever did em.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:36pm
Shameless we've done that for a few years. I took old plastic 50 gallon plastic barrels and cut them in 1/2. They were free. You might wanna put them tubs close to a water hydrant. Our tubs dry out quick, then the darn old gal leaves them darn green hoses laying around. If you are mowing close to dark you can get those darn things wrapped around your lawnmower spindles. Then you gets hollered at for chopping up HER darn garden hose. Spuds grow good in them especially if you fill them 1/2 way with dirt then top off with old hay or straw. Last year I pulled the plants and got most of the taters, no darn diggin. I drilled holes up about 3" from the bottom to drain the tub. Don't let any filthy da--m goats get near them. They eat the old hay along with your seed taters. Good luck with them.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:44pm
thanks ya'll! i'm also gonna take an old water tank and plant sum in it, you spose the metal tank will get to hot for them in the sun? gonna puts a bale of straw inside the tank then cover it with peat and manure.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 8:55pm
I don't know about the tank and heat. Might be too much. Last summer our 2 dogs got to scratching themselves raw. I filled a 2x4 tank about 1/2 full of water. 2 days later it was quite warm. The dogs acted like they enjoyed it. We had to give them 4 baths with sulpher in the water. Took a stiff brush to them and brushed off a whole lot of black specks attached to their skin. Why in the world am I talking about dogs when your asking about pre frying your spuds???? Getting old!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 12:02am
appears to me that Orange Glow needs a couple old tires to gits that stump burned out of the field! and yep Tom, we gives our pups a place to go "swimming" every year. called a kidde pool.
Orange Glow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:25am
That stump definitely needs to go! I think the D7 Caterpillar will get rid of it in short time, but the problem is that there are well lines that go right under or beside it. Maybe after we dig the potatoes, we can the people out to mark the lines, and then see what can be done.
If that theory works to keep stacking tires and the potatoes keep putting more on, then I wonder if we kept cultivating them with the listed cultivator, maybe they will stack a few more on? We’ll just have to make sure to dig them deep enough!
I also put some hay down under the potatoes, and other than taking twice as long to get them planted, I don’t know how many advantages there are. It might keep them cleaner, and it’s supposed to give them better drainage.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:00am
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:13pm
I have hiller discs on my cultivator. Try to have the rows hilled 1' high by end of season.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 5:59am
I just buy's 'm now, cant compete wif the big boys...Wink

[TUBE]sXEsKJ6W8fc[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 27 Apr 2018 at 5:59am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:31pm
hope they don't gits no wind there, be a hellova dust storm! and it looks like the planter needs sum greasing! still fun to watch tho
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic