This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chainsaw Mill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chainsaw Mill
    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:34pm

Here are a couple pix. of the mill and the slab process.--Need to skin the bigger logs down so they fit on the band mill. thanks; ac fleet

Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:40am
What does something like that cost, and where did you get it....? Thanks, Darrel
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 7:30am
Wow.  I'm impressed on how smooth the cut is. Thumbs UpThumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:06pm
I have to ask. What are you using as your guide for the first cut?
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:16pm
Cost, they start at $150, plus saw.
They use a ripping chain.
Guide, most use a 2x for the first cut.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:14pm
Well mine is a Granberg model 777 ----36" size,---they come in several sizes and priced accordingly.---I think the wife found this one at Northern tool.--That's where our bandmill and de-barker came from too.
The guide for the first cut for me is a short luni. ladder blocked on the lower end so it don't slide off.--I can't cut very fast because my ole spine is not good at all , so I just slowly slide the big saw along the ladder.--You can use most anything for a guide.--they even make luni. guides, which can be purchased seprately . I won't need to do much with this big saw since I use it mostly with a little 42 cc saw w/16" bar, making short boards from firewood length logs.--You would be surprised at the amount of good boards that can be skinned from that stuff.
The ripping chain is ground differently than a regular chain, giving a good fairly smooth  finish cut ,--A couple light passes in the ole planer, and it's ready for finish! lol!!!

If you want " hobby wood",--short stuff a small saw will work good, IF you want serious wood, big diameter , long stuff, then I would recommend the biggest saw on the market, and some guys use a power head on both ends!! LOL!!!!  ----I can barely handle the 8000 on one!! thanks; ac fleet
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:25am
I always had a hankering to rip some boards out of red cedar to do some wood working projects with. This set up would have been perfect for what I had in mind. Don't think that I have the gumption to do it any more now. Darrel
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 2:29pm
I built my own out of square tubing. Easy enough to do but adds some weight. No one around here knew what a ripping chain was. I just modified mine. It's fun to do projects from start to finish. Also you don't know what a tree will give you until you open it up. Advice would be to get the largest saw you can and if you would do alot I would consider an auxiliary chain oiler. I would not want to do it all day unless I was a gorilla and a young one at that!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:49pm
Wish I had some red cedar!!! LOL!!!! none of that around here!! thanks; ac fleet
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:39pm
I baby'd 2 red cedars on the edge of one of my corn fields for about 20 sum years. was gonna become a few pieces of furniture. the first year the big green farmers took over, they destroyed them, said they didn't like them. they weren't even in their way of field work! they'll pay....that;s to come yet!
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 5:40am
Eastern Red Cedars are not good in pastures but burn nicely.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:23am

Link to a YouTube video:

Using an aluminum ladder as a guide for making the first cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuMacK-dmwY
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:01am
man, my back hurts just watching the video!! Chainsaw mills must be a young guys machine !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:40am
That was interesting.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:08am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Wish I had some red cedar!!! LOL!!!! none of that around here!! thanks; ac fleet

Back in the area where I grew up (should say, where I spent my younger years, as I have yet to "grow up"), in extreme western ND, there were thousands of red cedar fence posts. They were not milled at all, just branches and trunks cut to length and put in the ground. Mostly done when original homestead fences were put up. As all of em were being removed and replaced, that's where I would have aquired my "red cedar". Back in the day when when water beds were "the thing to have", I had visions of building a water bed frame out of the stuff. I just loved the smell and color of red cedar. Darrel
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:21pm
We both like the cedar here!--I have heard that it can take over pastures.--Anybody know of a pasture that I could cut ?? LOL!!!! ---It is really a nice wood to work with too!
JB,--I struggle with my mill, but bad back and old age is not a good combination!! LOL!!! I still get it done, just takes longer than it should now days!
Did get 2 of the 3 big logs skinned down with the chain mill and then finished up on the band mill today.---Might  would have got all 3 done, except that I cut into a bunch of nails deep inside of the second log!--Had to go sharpen the blade a couple times so that really slowed things down!----At least it didn't break the blade!! LOL!!!! thanks; ac fleet
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:03am
AC Fleet; I think that what takes over a pasture is "creeping cedar." I haven't heard anything bad about actual cedar trees. Darrel
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:09am
they make the best windbreak
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:36pm
I guess there are a lot of different varieties of cedar.---I went up to Galena with my buddy one time and there was a lot of nice cedar growing on the bluffs  and hills.--Some was hanging from rocky limestone outcroppings along the Miss. River in that area.--That's about 230 miles North west of me! thanks; ac fleet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic