This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plane lost in Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plane lost in Colorado
    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 11:34pm
Last Friday evening the tv news reported the CAP had called off the search for a Cessna 210 that went off the radar on April 2.  Not that unusual for Colorado in the winter but this time it was different as I know/knew the pilot.  I worked with him 40 years ago and his sisters are friends of mine.  I had seen him on March 31 at his sister and bil's Easter Egg hunt.  He told me he was going to fly his plane to Texas and get it's annual then sell it and get another one.  Here's where it gets strange.  The plane has been sitting at the Erie, CO airport for three years, he was near death in a coma about a year ago.  He didn't file a flight plan put told people he was going to Utah to have something worked on.  We figure there is no way he had a currant pilots license as he coouldn't have passed a physical.  He took off, did a couple touch and go's then headed west. was planing on following I70 over the divide but turned south and then went off the radar, his phone quit an hour later and , of course, the locator beacon was not working.  The authorities hope someone sees the plane once the snow melts, or this fall some hunter will come across him. I feel bad for his family but, jeeze, there was hardly anything else he could have done wrong....
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:59am
John, sorry about the bad news concerning your friend and especially disheartened about what he has put his family through. Unless he has had someone flying or doing run ups on the plane for the last 3 years there is no way it should have ben flown without a complete inspection. But I don't think he was worried about that but was ready to check out of this life. Neither did he stop and think about what he was putting his family and friends through. Prayers for his family and for you, hopefully the wreckage will be found soon and bring this a little closer to conclusion.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:42am
Dang! I hope you will hear better news!

You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 7:18am
That's sad.  Prayers going out to all who knew him and those involved.  God bless.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:27pm
Sounds like he had a PLAN ? ........... then implemented it.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JRP1952 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRP1952 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 1:57pm
Colorado anytime is no place to be flying in an airplane that's sat for three years, nevermind in the winter.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that he's found safe and sound.

-Jim
'38 B, 41 C, B-1, B-110, '80 Suzuki, and '94 GMC. Love steam trains, Space Shuttles, and "Allis Express"!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:07pm
Why bother with touch and go if you aren't planning on a safe landing somewhere?
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:57pm
Prayers for all
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 4:21pm
The plane has been sitting at the Erie, CO airport for three years, he was near death in a coma about a year ago.  He didn't file a flight plan put told people he was going to Utah to have something worked on.  We figure there is no way he had a currant pilots license as he coouldn't have passed a physical.  He took off, did a couple touch and go's then headed west. was planing on following I70 over the divide but turned south and then went off the radar, his phone quit an hour later

Read between the lines.........
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:15pm
Quentin was never the kind of guy who thought things out.  We were amazed he actually learned to fly and bought a plane.  I doubt he was planing of offing himself, we are thinking he had a stroke or some other medical problem.  The plane was worth quite a bit and the only thing he really cared about, besides his daughters.  We will probably never know for sure unless he's found soon and is still intact.  Pretty sure he isn't gonna be walking out of the woods and hitch hiking a ride.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Read between the lines.........

Fully agree. He had a plan and the touch and go's were to make sure the aircraft wouldn't likely crap out on him too close to the airport.  Hard to know at times what is going through a person's mind. Almost all the time little clues are overlooked until after the event and people close to the person start thinking back on things. Had that happen with my BIL. For the sake of the family I am hoping things don't turn out that way but that's the way things are pointing.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 7:57pm
He may have not been 'with it' completely if he was in a coma.
You may think you can but you can't.
Flying is a lot different then driving a car. No rest stops if a problem happens.
Best of Hope for you and those involved.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:14pm
John....I to hope he is found o-k. there was a dude here that was in his nineties, had flown his own plane for most of those years, had it hangered at his home, his kids absolutely forbid him to go flying anymore! he took off one late afternoon and....you may have read about it, was the plane that crashed onto numerous brand new pickups at the woodhouse dealership after hitting/flying into a power line. he died doing what he loved doing!   
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 11:05pm
John...they ever find the plane?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:50am
No, still missing, been a couple feet more snow since then so odds aren't good he'll be found til summer or even hunting season in September.  I would be good for the family to find him as soon as possible.  Maybe with melting and the sun at a different angle, someone will see something out of the ordinary.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:01pm
That is SO sad John,  I feel for his family and you too as a good friend.  My condolences go out to everyone.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 7:31pm
He could be in Wavo Laredo with a seneorite under each arm you know.
dustinmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:32pm
have said that for years   if I were only given x amount of time to live id go out after a day trip when she was getting dry id point her to the sky till she stalled then take my last ride , think itd be kinda cool better than the alternative    told that to a logger I know   he told me he would travel out west and he would cut a redwood down said he always wanted to see one of those monsters hit the ground lol
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 6:27pm
As I have flow small aircraft over the mountains, I can tell you it may not have been planned at all.  If you aren't in fairly decent physical shape, and especially if the A/C isn't either, something clearly went wrong.  The Rockies aren't forgiving to small A/C much of the year, you have to have a plan, and you have to know what you are doing.  If you don't you would be safer driving blindfolded the wrong way on the interstate.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic