This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pickup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pickup
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:46am
I been looking and kicking the tires ona 2015 Ram ECO diesel pickup...it is one sweet machine! and the reason for looking so hard on this truck is the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on it. then I talked to my mechanic....he says the ones that have them love them except when it comes time to change the oil. he said the oil and filters are all dealer items only, the oil filter costs $65.00, and the oil is $22.00 a quart and takes 18 quarts! WHEW!!! that pickup is still on the lot! i'll let someone else have it! PffffT!
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:23am
HONESTLY??  WOW!!  How long is the bumper to bumper warranty?  36,000 or 3 years?  LOL

Well,,,,,,,,,,if you only have to change the oil every 300,000 miles, that ain't bad.

Now let's see how the fight started,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you couldn't give me a new (99 and up) Dodge.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:28am
We have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco diesel and love it. Just had it serviced at the dealer. Oil filter $40 CDN ($32 US), oil 8 liters @ $14.85 CDN ea ($11.88), labor $20 = $178 + tax. About $60 less than it was when new. 65,000 miles and no problems.
Leaving tomorrow to tow my daughter's boat back from Florida. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:38am
the SSON aka 'contractor' has one of them ram eco pus....
opened the hood to show it off...great..upper rad hose says Made in China ! Then he brags about the great gas mileage, er 'fuel economy'. well after pulling a trialer or two for a couple years he NEVER says NOTHING about the MPG !!
Finally never,EVER run out of DEF ! when you do wherever you shut off the truck that's where it STAYS until you refill the DEF !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:42am
I wonder if you could just piss in the DEF tank if you got into a pinch.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:48am
We have 2 of those trucks, boss uses Amsoil only and not sure about the filters.  He swears by the truck, doesn't take it to the dealer for oil changes, few minor electronic problems out of them but run like striped _ _ _ apes.
Maximum use of available resources!
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:45am
Don't personally have one but two who do like them, the oil change thing has gotten better, the only problem they talked about was the one had trouble with the air ride suspension which is not related at all to the diesel. Both rave about mileage and one pulls a small camper.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:48am
re; he said the oil and filters are all dealer items only.....Not to doubt your mechanic but that oil filter shows available in aftermarket at napa in the gold filter line for $25.00 and change. napa gold fil 100060 Calls for 5w-40 synth oil at $5.00-$6.00 a qt not $22.00.Also shows only 10qt capacity not 18.mopar updated oil specs   Oil change cost may not be as bad as you were told.

Edited by ac45dave - 23 Mar 2018 at 11:25am
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:32pm
Yes but with synthetic oil how many thousands of miles can you go between oil changes 20, 000
Tom
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:14pm
When someone can show me $50,000 in savings over the life of the vehicle I'll go get one.

Or can you even buy one for that?

Shameless you need this. You'll be able to move that machine closer to Hubert

Edited by Les Royer - 23 Mar 2018 at 3:18pm
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:24pm
Dave I also checked at NAPA yesterday and asked them if they had filters for them, they said they just got them in stock, at $24. each in the gold line like you said. they said it was a new number so they haven't had them long. and they said they have the oil equivalent to what Dodge has. I didn't get the price on that tho. was just curious. they also said that Dodge recommended a certain oil to be used in them. formulated for that engine. I guess someone musta dissected the old filters to copy them, and i'm sure there are other things that that oil is used for. I figger anything slick can be used as engine oil now a days. maybe not? as much as I hate to, I still think i'll leave that truck be. and Ted....it's lifetime warranty for as long as you own the vehicle. this dealer does this for most all new and even used vehicles. look it up on line, it's "genesteffey.com". guess they don't know how long I keep a vehicle as long as I do! lol this guy also has a ferd dealership in Columbus NE, but don't know if he does the lifetime warranty there or not. when we bought our used suburban way back when, it came with one of those lifetime warranties, and we have never had to use it yet. that was like 10 years ago. I know I won't be able to do that warranty now if something goes wrong with it, that dealer owner was killed in an accident a couple years ago and now someone else owns that dealership, so i'm sure it won't apply now. I still have the paperwork and will try it, but i'm not holding my breath! lol
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:36pm
You're probably right Shameless.

We got a lifetime warranty on rust thru protection on my Jeep Cherokee at the local Jeep dealer when I bought undercoating as an extra when I bought the jeep, but they was one of them that was forced out during the dealership restructuring that Chrysler did about 10 years ago so yes, my warranty went out the window too. Now 3 of the four fenders are rusted out. Both rocker panels are clear gone too.

I went to buy replacement rocker panels at bumper & auto in Omaha just the other day. They said they couldn't get rm. Obsolete. Really a 2003 is obsolete? I wasn't asking for running boards for my 40 coupe. Ha ha probably had those. 

Edited by Les Royer - 23 Mar 2018 at 3:41pm
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:59pm
To add to my earlier post about the Eco Diesel. Usually change oil at about 10,000 KM (6200 miles) or when it shows about 30% oil life remaining. Story is that if you don't use the correct oil, the cam bearings will go out.
Some interesting facts.  It is actually a VM Motori engine out of Italy and was originally designed for the Cadillac  CTS that GM was going to sell in Europe. Detroit Diesel had owned VM but sold half to Fiat and half to GM. GM did not go ahead with the CTS diesel and meanwhile Fiat purchased Chrysler. Cummins  had been working on the V-8 diesel for the Dodge half ton for years and Fiat told Cummins to forget it because we have an engine ready to go. The V-8 finally made it into the new Nissan big pickup after 8 years. Chevy Cruise diesel comes from the same factory and the new Colorado pickup diesel is a VM design built in Tialand. Gale Banks Performance supplies modified Duramax based engines to the US military for a vehicle and is now using and ECO Diesel based engine to supply the military an engine for a smaller vehicle.  Banks says that the Eco Diesel is bullet proof.  
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:40pm
Just took my 2017 ram diesel in. Both yes both fuel filters and an oil change 425$
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:40am
allisG....was that the ECO or the Cummins?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:41am
thanks Calvin....that will help me if I decide to go with anyones diesel or just gits a gasser!
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:33am
That's the Cummings so far happy with the truck. Gave up my 95 f250 power stroke it had 384k miles the Cummings out pulls the ford.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

HONESTLY??  WOW!!  How long is the bumper to bumper warranty?  36,000 or 3 years?  LOL

Well,,,,,,,,,,if you only have to change the oil every 300,000 miles, that ain't bad.

Now let's see how the fight started,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you couldn't give me a new (99 and up) Dodge.

I'm curious Ted as 94 to 98 and 99 to 01 or 02 for heavy duties I believe are identical with only slight changes. What don't you like? Not looking to start a fight just curious
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:01pm
After my 77 dodge pickup I swore I would never go back.  My friend recently bought a diesel Dodge, 1 ton, single wheel.  He was a diesel mechanic, so I suspect he knew which company to go with.

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:25pm
I just cannot handle the tinny twang when close the doors, sound cheap.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:36am
I did go back a couple days later to look over that pickup....and it was gone. I asked the salesman that cornered me in the lot, he said they sold it! well yesterday when I was in that town, I drove thru their lot to see if there was anything new that would trip my trigger. and there sat that same pickup I was looking at when I first posted this. I got out and walked around it, no salemen ever came out. I see it's back on their website again. wondering what the story is now! I may call them, bet I won't get a truthful answer!
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 3:57am
I can get rocker panels for my 98 Grand Cherokee Limited. $56 a pair. Amazon.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:19am
on the lifetime warranty.  What does it cover.

Aren't lifetime power train warranties kinda common.

Wife has one on the 2015 Toyota.  Hard telling when the stealer will cook the books, reorganize or whatever.

Kinda like Les says. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:24am
well there ain't NO warranty when 'junk' gets in the diesel fuel tank ! insurance + dealer still figting over that  over 2 weeks now !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

on the lifetime warranty.  What does it cover.

Aren't lifetime power train warranties kinda common.

Wife has one on the 2015 Toyota.  Hard telling when the stealer will cook the books, reorganize or whatever.

Kinda like Les says. 
Is it MY lifetime, of the trucks??  Usually the trucks which is about 8 years.  Anything over that, they don't care.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:46pm
the life of the truck as long as I would own it. it stops when I trade or sell the truck. read it yourself, it's on line on their website...genesteffy.com
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 12:10am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

I just cannot handle the tinny twang when close the doors, sound cheap.
x2! I notice that with every Ford and Dodge I've ever been around. 

Shameless is even considering a Dodge?? Now it's my turn to say..."Git a rope!"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:21am
Creston....I've owned Dodges brfore, I still have a Tradesman van that has just under 1 million miles on it, and the engine is still good, but the tranny is out. and I've owned a sport fury, used it as a cruiser for years, it would out run all the police specials the county had! there was a waiting list of people that wanted that car when I was ready to sell it! and I owned a '85 dodge 1/2 ton short box 4x4 pickup, it was silver/gray and had lots of crome, didn't get to keep it long, a 16 year old ran a light and nailed it on the passenger side...totaled it. PfffffT!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 12:49pm
After running Dodge diesels for company rigs, and HEMI (all 3/4), I advised the young company fleet manager in 2010 that he was wasting money leasing the diesels for the salesman as they were turned back in at 120-130k miles.
Last Dodge diesel was a 2006, went to HEMI after that for company rigs. We had unlimited use of these vehicles and I hauled 13 round bales on my gooseneck with the HEMI just like I did with the Cummins. Pull it different? Sure, but it did it when needed and I could certainly live with hauling only 10 bales.
IMO, just me here, when I needed a farm truck after switching companies that had salesman in little 1/2 ton Fords, I picked up a used 6.0 in a GMC 2500HD 2WD cab and a half so I could move tractors, hay, etc.
I picked it up after seeing a friend move his 1066 and 1086 cab tractors (no loaded tires but both had duals) with full front weights, 25-30 miles back and forth to his leased ranch property. Cab and a half, 4WD short bed with the 6.0 that pulled a 28' dual tandem gooseneck and I was impressed. I looked at used Ford 3/4's but the gas engine just did not impress me so I went with the GMC as dealers could not keep used HEMI's when they were traded in.
It all depends what you want to use it for I guess and "to each his own" but when oil changes started climbing, DEF came along 2007/2008(?) and the "diesel bug" had everyone scrambling to get a diesel pickup, the prices started climbing and have not stopped. For me, an $85K pickup (last loaded GMC with Duramax I stopped and looked at) does not work for me. It does for some and I say all power to em' but I'll run the wheels off the ol' HD, then throw a crate motor in it and keep goin.
Hey, it's only money right?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 12:51am
not many trucks trip my trigger, but this one has for some reason. I still drive one that tripped my trigger sum 12 years ago or so, I still love that truck! I don't care if they at gas/diesel/electric/or powered by anything else, if it lights me up, it's prolly what i'll gits, unless there is a bad story behind it! i'll see!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic