This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2wd to FWA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2wd to FWA
    Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:34am
Can a tractor that was originally a 2wd be converted to FWA ? Or is the tranny(housing) whether a PD or PS, 2wd/FWA specific ? Been done or too much trouble ?

Thx Mark
Sponsored Links

Kevin in WA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:20am
No, the rear end housing is different.
Oldred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:30am
So the rearend housing is what would have to be changed out. Tranny doesn't matter either way then.

Reason I ask is I ran into a deal where there is a 8030 FWA PD and a 8030 2wd PS for sale from the same guy for a good deal if I take both.

Thx
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:06pm
The real mechanics will know but it seems like there was some difference in rearend gearing between PS and PD.What I think I remember is that you can't swich out trans between the two to make one the other.I could be wrong but you need to know for sure.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:41am
Wouldn't it be easier to  just change out the motors, or is that not practical for you?
Oldred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:05am
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to  just change out the motors, or is that not practical for you?

The engine wouldn't affect this at all. Both are running units. I want power shift in the FWA.

Now if the rear end gearing is different between a PD & a PS then that is whole different scenario.

May not be practical at all then.

Thx Mark
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:05am
Doing it mechanically depends on the tractor design details. There are alternatives to a mechanical drive from the rear axle or transmission. With a mechanical drive it is important to match the gear ratios to the tire sizes so they have the same ground speed.

I have seen reports of a FWA driven by the tractor PTO.

Sometime about 1969 or 1970 JD introduced a hydraulic FWA on the 4020. Basically replaced the original front hydraulic pump with one having 15 or 20 gpm greater capacity and mounted hydraulic motors with planetary gear drives on the two front spindles. They aren't known for their ruggedness. I suspect that the drives often used on self propelled sprayers would be sturdier today. It might be practical to run a hydraulic pump off the tractor PTO. I had a loader run that way but it interfered with using the PTO for any other purpose without removing the loader.

It would be difficult to match ground speeds front and rear with any hydraulic or PTO driven FWA. I think Deere depended on torque assistance with the hydraulic drive allowing for varying ground speeds depending on the main transmission gears.

Gerald J.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:56am
I think the only gears different on a PS to PD are the range gears on the low side only, high is direct on both. Would be a very big project, and I feel you would be better off buying them both, then selling one to buy what you want. All the controls would be different for the two different transmissions, so console, pd switch etc. Not only will you be completely rebuilding one tractor, but two. Would be kinda fun, but I know I would never get it finished before I croak! lol! Or you could buy a parts tractor with ps, and just convert the one, unless that is what the 2wd ps would be for.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:35pm
Power Director low range gears should be the same as Power Shift, with 6th gear low range being 7 MPH. High range would be 20% slower, so road gear will only be 16 MPH instead of 20 MPH. This is using a Power Shift trans with a Power Director rear end.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 6:04pm
We swapped a PS into a PD 8050 years ago. It can be done, but it is a lot of work, you can't afford to hire it done, it would have to be a winter project. Personally, I wouldn't do it again. If you can get these two bought for a good price, then either use one or both to trade for what you want, or just go find the tractor you want to start with. Just my two cents.
Oldred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:36am
Thanks for all the replies,
it looks like a lot more work than I may want/have time to do and not real keen on loosing any top end like Dr.Allis states.

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic