This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sub-soiling depth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sub-soiling depth
    Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:55pm
I recently (Saturday) picked up a No. 4 Sub-soiler from a forum member. The weather is supposed to be pretty good Thursday and Friday and I have off work, so I thought I might try this thing out. My question is, how deep do you run one of these things? I believe the book says it will go 18" deep. Going to just work on high traffic areas leading into the fields. Also it came with the mole attached. Leave it or remove it? 
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:03pm
go as deep as you can pull it
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:05pm
Here's tip # 1: Wait until it's hard and dry in the middle of the summer, That will allow the ground to shatter sideways and open up more passageways for water to travel. If you rush and try it wet you'll only cut trenches that will fill right back in. 
 Tip #2: Go as deep as you have power to pull it. The # 4 has a beaming adjustment over the top that controls the working depth.  The ones without this need to have the traction booster set properly to maintain a depth that any given tractor can handle.
 Tip # 3: Go SLOW!!! if you don't you'll know why I say this the first time you catch a rock bigger than you've ever seen before.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:18pm
Paul, I appreciate the tips. No. one wont work though. Have to get this done before planting beans in the spring. I think it's plenty dry right now, can't hurt to try.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:40pm
OK, I was going to make a smartazz comment about the attached mole but well I'm needing some edumushcation... what's a 'mole' ?

Also would it be better to go once semi deep them again full depth ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
bryani289swmi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bryani289swmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:05pm
The mole is the piece attached at the rear behind the point. I would leave it attached. Thanks.

Bryan

Edited by bryani289swmi - 21 Nov 2017 at 4:07pm
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollowpoints explode on impact.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:17pm
Paul has the right ideas. You do want it pretty dry. I see a lot of guys here running subsoilers in wet ground. I always what's the point then...

16" - 18" would be pretty good. Watch out for shallow tile.

Ideally, your WD5 would have the rock trip built into the snap coupler. Mine has it, so when you hit anything that pulls really hard, a leaver hits the hand clutch lever and throws it forward and disengages the hand cluth. no damage from rocks.

Edited by Allis dave - 21 Nov 2017 at 4:19pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:22pm
X2 on what Paul and Shameless said. Mole is not a necessary item, nor is the rock trip.  Nice to have though.

When the subsoiler hits something, you'll know it, tractor stops moving, and the SS is the anchor.  Just back out and raise it, is all I've ever done.Wink
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 7:20pm
As I recall, I was able to easily run my #4 subsoiler at 18”+ with my D14. Even with the automatic Power Director release linkage, I tried to stay in low gear, although second gear low range was no problem. High range is a no-no with the release linkage, as it might cause some pain if the PD lever hits your knee. Super dry soil is the best.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:21pm
years ago, I bought a one shank SS, we had cleaned out an old farmstead of trees and a few old buildings. I hooked that one shanker to my 7010 (overkill? nope) going as slow as that tractor would go with that SS sunk all the way in, it would grab the remaining tree roots and bring them to the top. it also grabbed a few big chunks of concrete and brought them to the top. I put the same SS on my 180 (smallest tractor I had) and every year go up and down the end rows where compaction would be the greatest. always did it in the fall so freezing could heave/ho the ground better.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:29pm
I bought a cheap 3 point one. I ran it 27" deep with my Series 4 D-17, 1st gear - low side. Dried up a couple of wet spots that showed up a few years ago. I had some terraces that didn't drain right. I set it down in the bottom of the terrace, didn't do as much good as cleaning out the silted in part of the terrace but did cause it to drain better.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:46pm
I use my AC subsoiler to go around the edge of fields to cut the tree roots that run out in the fields,some big roots will bring the D15 to a halt real quick.I run low range first to keep from breaking something.Plus lots of rock to hit too around here.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:05am
Here, the the reason for using a subsoiler is to break up the hardpan under the topsoil to allow water to penetrate the subsoil. If the topsoil is dry enough to get traction let it rip. I'm sure there are some areas of the country that the topsoil is tight but that is why we plow.usually the hardpan is just under the topsoil so depth needed may vary. Somewhere between 8 to 16 inches here. Scott
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:03am
Here are a few pics of mine with the WD-45.  Got the subsoiler from Bryan I. (fellow Forum member).  I can pull it in 2nd gear easily.

Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:08am
Originally posted by allisrutledge allisrutledge wrote:

Here, the the reason for using a subsoiler is to break up the hardpan under the topsoil to allow water to penetrate the subsoil. If the topsoil is dry enough to get traction let it rip. I'm sure there are some areas of the country that the topsoil is tight but that is why we plow.usually the hardpan is just under the topsoil so depth needed may vary. Somewhere between 8 to 16 inches here. Scott

Thats the reason to use a subsoiler in my area to crack the hardpan doesn't much matter
what happens to the topsoil.In some places on my place there is a shale subsoil and running a subsoiler will dramatically increase water retention.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:40am
Thanks for all the input.

This fall I just want to hit some of the high traffic areas where you can see the difference in the crops, some years it's painfully obvious. This also is a way for the 45's to earn their keep around the farm and I just like the seat time.

Edit.

Thanks for the pics, I will try to take some when in the field. Then if I can just get them to post, Mike.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 22 Nov 2017 at 9:42am
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:44am
In next year's corn field I am subsoiling with tillage radishes. Sprayed glyphosomate in late August and drilled at 10 lb/acre. Going to put on phosphate ,potash and sulphur in December for the corn and only n in the spring and at 16 -20 inch corn. Some of them are 16-18 inches deep and still growing. I guess some hit a rock and had to make a turn but all looks good. I also drilled in late pasture but due to the dry fall they didn't fair as well. I will try again next year in hay/ pasture fields for early winter grazing. So far I like this way and I'm using a lot less fuel! Will know next fall. This is my first attempt at sod planting corn.Scott
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 2:28pm
Hello I just picked one up last weekend it is a pin hitch one and i was wondering if you can convert these to pin hitch ones to snap coupler thanks
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 5:59pm

In next year's corn field I am subsoiling with tillage radishes. Sprayed glyphosomate in late August and drilled at 10 lb/acre. Going to put on phosphate ,potash and sulphur in December for the corn and only n in the spring and at 16 -20 inch corn. Some of them are 16-18 inches deep and still growing. I guess some hit a rock and had to make a turn but all looks good. I also drilled in late pasture but due to the dry fall they didn't fair as well. I will try again next year in hay/ pasture fields for early winter grazing. So far I like this way and I'm using a lot less fuel! Will know next fall. This is my first attempt at sod planting corn.Scott

Did some Tillage radishes, coupla years ago, it was a low field, with a spring in the low side.  Dry fall when I planted them, in late dec and jan, we had pretty good moisture.  Next spring, afore the grass was sprouting, you could see water oozin up through the dead radish holes...Wink
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:34pm

Radishes after wheat best deep tilllage known to man.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
REEDE View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REEDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:18am
Will be patiently waiting for pictures.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 8:50pm
Well, I got out for an hour or so after the big meal today. This may be the most fun tillage tool I've ever used. Did have some trouble with the corn stalks bunching up. I adjusted the beaming screw a couple of times and I think it was running about 16" deep. Can definitely tell when you hit a hard spot.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 23 Nov 2017 at 9:07pm
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:58am
I bought a 3 point hitch at an auction for $10.00 last summer and  tried it on a piece of ground that has a strip through the midldle that is wet all the time. Put it on a AC 5015 with turf tires , Hey that's what I had there, and found out real fast I had to back across the field to the surface outlet. This thing was built for a tractor with 38" wheels. Took off up through the middle a few hundred feet until the turfs started to spin. Maybe 8" - 10" deep.
Driilled a couple holes in it and used existing bolt holes and have it at 12 " or so depth.
Have been by there once since and see a great improvement in draiinage. Ready to go back when dry enough with a lug tire 5015 and loader to back myself out if I get stuck and go at it.
Thinking I would like a potato plow shovel to open it up for more water capacity, rototill and sew grass seed for a home made waterway.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:47am
Originally posted by REEDE REEDE wrote:

Will be patiently waiting for pictures.

Reed, not sure what your work schedule is but get  a hold of me. I've got plenty of field for you to come down and take a round, or two, or three.
dustinmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by NICKMI NICKMI wrote:

Hello I just picked one up last weekend it is a pin hitch one and i was wondering if you can convert these to pin hitch ones to snap coupler thanks

all you have to do is get a snap coupler drawbar and put it in,
d series is easiest drawbar to use as its a 1 piece wd or 45 drawbar will work but have to split it to make it fit in the subsoiler
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 4:41pm
Thank you Dustin that's what I was wondering I have a few 45 draw bars laying around I will try that thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic