This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD16DC steering problem.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD16DC steering problem.
    Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:55am
Hello guys. I have a steering problem with the HD16DC I just bought. When I want to turn (bought ways) and pull the steering lever it’s do nothing at all. But when I hold the steering lever activated for over 1 minute and drive it’s turn great. So maybe I have a pressure/flow problem but I can’t find it. What is the pressure between the valve and the clutch piston going to be? I don’t know my pressure yet because I’m missing a tee adapter for my gauge.
I have also thought that the valve have a problem because the pull clearance only is about 10mm. But I don’t thinks it’s a problem. See picture.

What do you guys thinks wrong?
Sponsored Links

Morten.have View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:57am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:08pm
There will be filter for the steering oil, I am not sure where they hid them on the 16 but mine were choked solid when I got it due to being behind a bolt down cover.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:15pm
Did a little research for you, is a similar set up to my 7G. The steering pump has a suction filter inline then TWO discharge filters downstream before the steering control valves. Still do not know 'Where' they are but know these are on the DC series per Minnpar parts guide.

http://www.minnpar.com/manuals3.asp?FName=CRAWLER%20AND%20WHEEL%20DOZER%20MANUALS&SFName=ALLIS%20CHALMERS%20%2C%20FIATALLIS%20CRAWLER%20DOZER%20MANUALS

HD16 D and DC are on the same guide.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:34pm
Tanks for the answer. I hope it’s gonna be helpful. But witch of your filters was clogged? The discharge or the suction ?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:44pm
ALL

Unlucky for me my 7G has screen strainers below fluid level, had to drain, remove and clean both of those and change all the filters.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Nov 2017 at 12:46pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:47pm
Ok. I will clean the hole system out then 👍🏻
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:10pm
You noted the old machine sat a long time, is very easy to have moisture buildup and settlement materials get to the filters after so long.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:25pm
I'm the novice here but also have a HD 16DC. My serial number is 5272 making it a 1961.

My hydraulic steering filters and clutch are in two canisters with bolt on lids on the right side of engine up on top and right behind engine fan.

Has two cartridge filters. I was lucky and both filters were clean as were the canisters.

I had the same question on mine regarding steering using only the steering hand controls. My tractor if moving with blade up and not pushing a load needs both hand control and corresponding foot brake for any real steering. Using just hand controls while moving you only see gradual steering. Told that is typical.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:39pm
Typical Allis, the clutches do not always release enough to cause it to steer, pointed uphill my 7G will slip turn when apply a clutch or when have a full bucket but not on flat and level. May migrate a little offline but not turn as does a Cat when disengage a clutch. pointed downhill pull opposite side clutch to make it steer the other way(weight to your advantage)
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:16pm
Thanks DMiller.

Good confirmation. On mine for test, pulled on both hand clutches at same time and when in gear will not move forward.
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:38pm
ON MY 16DP TO MAKE SHARP TURN  PUSH DECELERATOR PEDEL BRING ENGINE TO IDLE. PULL STEERING LEAVER AND APPLY BRAKE. LET ENGINE IDLE UP A LITTLE YOU WILL FEEL PEDAL GO DOWN SLIGHTALY. THIS LOCKS BRAKE AND TRACTOR WILL TURN ON THE SPOT.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 9:42pm
Good one!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:42am
I have now checked the 2 pressure filters, there is a bit dirt but nothing to write home about (se picture)

I can’t find the suction screen. But I think it’s in the trans case. I will clean that one out when I get 2 new pressure filters.

The machine can’t still not steer
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:44am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 12:29pm
I did drain the trans fluid today after all. The button guard near cost me a stroke! And the giant strainer filter housing isn’t service friendly at all! But I get it out. It’s dirty but I still don’t thinks I have found the problem yet. But I will fill it with new oil tomorrow and try again.

Should I in some way feed the trans pump ? It’s a long way for the pump to suck it up or maybe drive down hill to feed it up.

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:59pm
Where was this filter located Morten? My 16 is a DC so it has a Torque Converter but not a power shift. Filters on my tractor are ( at least what I can find)

1. 2 Hydraulic filters in canisters on right side of engine by radiator fan.
2. 2 Fuel Filters. A primary and secondary.
3. 2 engine oil filters.
4. Return Fuel filter screen. Right side just past the firewall.
5. Steering Clutch and final drive breathers at rear of tractor.
6. Tranny, brake, steering oil system suction line screen. Have not touched this and not sure where it is at.
7. I have the donaldson dry air filter system not the oil bath version.

This is all I am showing for filters. Not torque convertor filter, Not sure if there is a separate Clutch Filter cartridge like you show.

What am I missing folks?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:06pm
he may have suction air leak?  maby the pump is worn?   IIRC the later tractors pump fluid from trans and the pump Is located on front of the engine.  that's a long ways and uphill.  The pump on the trans is for lube only I believe.

on my 59' the steering has its own reservoir and trans is splash lube, no pump

next step after filters would be pressure checks.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 17 Nov 2017 at 3:08pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:20pm
Jerry. I send pic OFF location tomorrow.

Cal. The pump have 2 out put both are 0 that’s before I checked the suction screen.

I do not hope the pump is dead but I will try to feed it tomorrow.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:55pm
I wonder if you have an air intrusion.  when shut off the oil flows back and takes a long time to prime back up.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:56pm
Is a positive displacement pump, with no system demand should pull and feed back to reservoir as designed, should pull suction on its own. Dash gauge should read out clutch pressure and trans pressure, these are off this pump. Definitely look at all the suction piping flexible hose connections for tears or cuts, anything that can suck air.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Nov 2017 at 3:57pm
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:25pm
The blue silicone is not helping.
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 6:26am

Edited by Morten.have - 19 Nov 2017 at 10:03am
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 6:38am
Originally posted by Morten.have Morten.have wrote:

For jerbob

Pic off the suction screen assembly.

Thank you Morten. Will look over my tractor to spot it.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 6:43am
Is this under the tractor or cannuou reach from above Morten? I have the floorboards off for linkage repair . Can it be reached from the last Nader the floorboards?

Thank you
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 7:17am
It’s under the tractor in the button of the trans gear case. It’s hidden pretty good I don’t think mine ever had been cleaned.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 7:21am
FINALLY I’ve got pressure at both trans oil filters there is about 150psi low idle and 500psi low idle with the lever fully depressed.

It’s steering really nice now and in hi idle with out push load I can steer with out brakes only by steering clutch lever’s

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 7:50am
GREAT JOB Morten!! What do you think the smoking gun was? The sump filter or combination of factors. This is an HD16 correct? What model again?

Thank you
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 9:10am
Sump filter and new Oil. And a lot of air purged between the pressure filters and the valve block.

When I got the pressure I started fine tune the pressure so left and right are acting the same, bout 500psi.

It’s a HD16DC -5319 it’s a lovely tractor with a good functional diesel torque converter.

But I can’t find out the age of it.

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 2:20pm
Thank you Morten.

Come spring I may go for the sump filter swap. My oil is in great condition by looking at it and when I changed out my pair of hydraulic steer filters they were very clean.

My HD16DC serial is 5272. That makes mine a 1961. I will look up your number and confirm Year.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic