This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally started on my spares

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally started on my spares
    Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 2:55pm
The 7G is pretty tired even with the donor tranny it slips a lot, torque gets hot and may have something failing so decided my winter project needed to start.

The Donor torque had the pump drive all welded together, that came out so I can mod it for a different shaft and pump affair IF needed. My spare trans pump is at E&E Hydraulic Union MO being gone thru at their convenience and speed, the pump guy said it may NOT be salvageable as it is just due to wear he cannot make up for. And that does not even count getting the new shaft and couplers made for AC correct.

The trans upper shaft support came off reasonably, there is shaft damage and the seals shot to hell, the seals internally also leak severely so it will have to all come down.

Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:52pm
Dave, you must be a glutton for punishment. Looks like somebody was pretty rough on their equipment.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 7:27am
This was the trans from my machine that I swapped with the donor tractor unit. Trying to locate some basic supplies currently as clutch plates but not looking very good. And yes the previous owner(s) were less than conscientious as to handling the machine.

Seals I can manage from a local hydraulics shop, they stated they have supplied seals for other Allis components so should be able to come up with something.

I am looking to rebuild the trans to reinstall in my tractor, go thru the torque to also put in my tractor, will be modifying the pump drive to a different possibly more available shaft and couplings style so can swap to a commercially available pump and shaft arrangement. My old converter in the unit has issues, slips more than I consider correct, some shaft play on the output so I suspect bearings going bad. Donor trans has some slippage more than I care for where if can get this one built and reinstalled can save the other one just as a spare.

Edited by DMiller - 19 Nov 2017 at 7:28am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 4:48pm
Update;
Shafts out and started disassemble, one problem figured already, used some O-rings to seal shaft shift oil, that does not work:

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 11:27am
Clutches all apart now, discs are in good shape the reed style inter-valves on the shafts were loaded with chunks and debris. May get by with cleaning new shift shaft seals and the O-rings that are hardened then reassemble/reseal.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 7:47pm
Shafts are cleaning pretty well, still will have some slight corroded spots but no chunks. Got shaft seals for the shift oil at a local Hydraulic shop, going to pick them up in a day or so as well the replacement pump. Minnpar can get SOME hard parts, there are 8 of one size and four of another as to steel or iron rings for the pistons, three have no tension where most likely been hot probably dry from the screens and filter loaded solid. They can get the four, they have the eight. Can get bronze clutch discs, if order come out of the Congo and five to ten days lead time PLUS customs fees and shipping. So far as have measured only two are IFFY but within measurements.

Discs are the expensive part, 36 at $29.20 each plus shipping plus customs.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 11:54pm
Dave; afaik the allis transmissions were made by Rockford for all there dozers. Rockford also made transmissions for IH. A lot of stuff is common between powershift HD11s and TD15s. Just some more info that may be useful in life; or maybe not ! The twin disc torque converters are 'sloppy' they slow down a lot in the travel speed. But man do they push. Torque multiplication on a HD6EP and 7G is almost 5-1.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 8:24am
Dave there is a place in little rock called westrock co that use to the ac/fa dealer .As my understanding they opened up a factory and started making clutch disk and friction disk and such for trannys and other things.   there number is 501 228 0330.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 11:13am
Thanks Mike
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 12:28pm
I have some good used transmission discs and plates for HD7 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 6:51pm
Striking out on the pump shaft and couplers, local gear maker can cut the shaft, $850 but no couplings, been leaving messages to those other shops that MIGHT make them but no response yet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 12:32pm
Got lucky, Kwik Parts found a used (Decent) shaft and coupler, should be here in week or so. $150.00 plus shipping.

Have all the pieces I can scratch up for the trans, seal rings, O-rings and shaft seals are here. Cold as a well diggers butt here so cleanup may be a while before done! so can start re-assembly. New pump arrived, sits in holding for when this trans goes back in.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 3:03pm
So far the old trans case has had a bath today, managed to get into the fifties, may be the LAST chance for that! My seal rings and O-rings as well the shaft shift oil seals are all here as is the new Cessna trans pump. The donor pump was a fairly new pump but had been operated dry(probably suction blockage) and the trash that had swept thru it destroyed it.

I plan on getting after this over the next few days, have to be done with as far as can go by Saturday as the 180 needs to come in the shop too!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 3:06pm
I am going to try to salvage the old pump shaft and see if I can convert it to an additional pump drive shaft. Will have to spline the opposite end and cut a snap ring groove in it, then reduce the overall diameter and spiral it for oil transfer.
david weldon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david weldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:31pm
should be a good job when its all back together dave
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:31pm
A little startled with the used shaft, arrived yesterday, it is OK, did have it checked for cracks but as these are conventional and softer steel is not a real problem as is.

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:20pm
Sure has had the twist put to it.

rickv57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickv57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:17am
Dave can you educate me a bit is the 6 EP and the 7g have the same transmission and what about the 7 GB are they all the same or different, I have a good 6 EP that needs a torque housing but should have a good transmission
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:05pm
I am going out on a limb and saying a definite maybe!! The 7G and G-B were some really strange animals, I will check the minnpar site parts guides and see if similar.

7G and 7G-b transmissions are the same. Torque assemblies different.

Based on Minnpars parts guide they are one and the same trans/torque. I have a decent torque converter assembly out of the donor, there seems to be no play in the bearings, the hydraulic pump drive final gear is currently removed as the drive hub was destroyed by the previous owner welding the drive shaft in.

Do not know if Chartrand scrapped it or not, they had a 7G in the yard they were stripping down two years back but scrap was Ginourmous price then.

Edited by DMiller - 15 Dec 2017 at 12:08pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:10pm
One point of note, to get the converter out the engine has to come out with it and the converter removed/rehung outside the tractor.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:21pm
Another note, the accumulator seals for the shaft's shift oil came out as a Hercules U12-1.37-18D, are six of them needed. The large diameter o-ring for the shifting drum fits a space 6.92"ID, 7.5"OD and the width of the groove on the divider plate is .285"wide. I had gotten .250 O-rings but a problem. The reason a .250 diameter o-ring(industry standard) WILL NOT WORK is it will not facially load, requires a .285 or .284 diameter body o-ring 7.5"OD. Minnpar can no longer get those. My supplier is trying to come up with replacement seals(2) at this time.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:41pm
The two piece Teflon seals came in p/n 17-4053, not sure of the manufacturer, they would not give me a name. $67.44 each.

The seal fits tightly in the shifting drum but fits AND seals really good and had to make a seal compressor to get them started into the drums.

And yes that is banding strapping inside of three heavy duty hose clamps!!

Edited by DMiller - 04 Jan 2018 at 6:43pm
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 9:43am
Those are heavy duty hose clamps. Don't think I've seen em that heavy.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:18am
Intake piping clamps from a LPG Cummins that were discarded after removal(Metro Bus Svc St. Louis).

Actually a little overkill but were handy in a box of junk I had!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 8:56am
As to the collector shaft seals for shifting, the seals come with a X shaped reinforcing ring internally, It was suggested as these are on a revolving shaft to remove those reinforcements as could cause too tight a fit. They just roll out.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 6:29am
Minnpar could not ID the input shaft seal, converts to a National 411376, if needed would be a 2.25" wear sleeve. Having to get one locally thru a HD parts store.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic