This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are these wheels correct? I plan to buy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are these wheels correct? I plan to buy.
    Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 3:30pm
B I found on CL.  You think this was in a fire?  Or was it submerged in water for years?
https://ocala.craigslist.org/for/d/allis-chalmers-gas-tractor/6379554470.html

Edited by Hubnut - 16 Nov 2017 at 6:12pm
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 3:55pm
Front ones look like early Buick rims. Wish I could see them bettet.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 3:58pm
Don't know about the wheels.  Bs were available with optional steel wheels, especially during the war...but I don't know if they are correct.  Honestly, I don't see much there that I would use.
1951 B
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 4:48pm
I would not haul it home if it was free. Pure junk and needs to go to scrap.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:28pm

!t's a 1940 model from the serial number. The steel rear wheel, hydraulic lift and the McCormick Deering sickle mower should be worth something more than scrap.

1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:49pm
I would definitely save it if it were cheaper and nearby. Like was said, the steel wheels should be worth something, and I bet there are other parts that area good. Nothing is ever “completely” junk, IMHO.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 10:47pm
Well Creston, this one is close.....LOL  Yes, you could repair the manifold, but I think I'd allow it to go to the iron pile.  (Pssssst  DO NOT TELL LES)
I don't know what steel wheels are going for, but those look good as well as other things on it.  I'd guess it's stuck tighter than a drum?  Tranny and rear end have to be almost full of water......I don't think I'd give em more than $200 for it.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 1:46am
The extensions on the factory steel wheels would be pretty rare and should have some value only set of extensions for  B/C steel I have  I've ever seen.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 3:46am
salt air tractor... to close to an ocean... engine might be fine inside if it had a roof over it...
It would require a lot of sand blasting on the outside for sure and a bunch of other things like radiator hood fuel tank fenders side panels etc...  IF the inside was good. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 7:55am
For being in Florida I am surprised it is  not worse looking. The climate just eats them up. I remember getting 30 and 40 series Deere tractors from there 25 years ago that you could stick your fingers thru all the sheet metal. Between the climate, sand and the operaters (poorly paid on mega farms) they were the roughest tractors we ever had. They all seemed cheap untill you saw how bad they were. Tom
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 2:54pm
If you want the steel wheels offer $100 or ask how much he will pay you to haul it off.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 2:57pm
I really don't like steel wheels, so I'm not interested.  I doubt there it anything of value on that tractor.  Why would the manifold have those holes?
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 2:13pm
Those extensions on the rear wheels are extremely rare and valuable.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

...Why would the manifold have those holes?

"What is: water has been sitting in the manifold, head and probably at least a couple of cylinders for a few decades, Alex?"

Edited by HoughMade - 13 Nov 2017 at 2:33pm
1951 B
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:57pm
You all know how much I LOVE the B.  This one is questionable.  It would be a challenging restore at best.  All of the above is correct as far as what needs to be done.
This is what we called a "half breed".  During WWII many of the tractors we got were this type.  Steel rear, rubber front.  Yes, there are extensions on the rear wheels and they have some value.  We had a pair of extensions that stayed with us after the war.  Someone found them and I cannot tell you how many offers we had on them.  Even then.  I never did find out what happened.  I was in college and the Army and basically spent four years away from home.  When I came home they were gone.  I do know they have value.  The rest is a money pit.  
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:25pm
I'd like to have the steel wheels off it
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:58pm
Someone save it for the steel wheels and extensions, if for nothing else!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:30pm
Can you even imagine how much you'd have to sink into to make a decent runner out of it? Parts tractor, maybe.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:36pm
Any idea how much these wheels are worth?  Not $500 for sure.  Someone tell me what you think they are worth and I may contact the guy to get the tractor for them.
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:11pm
Well, the guy said he would go as low as $300.  Are these wheels worth that?  I can use the block too.  My recently acquired B has a block that's been repaired with epoxy.  I think this block may be okay.  You never know.  He told me it was on a fish camp for years when he acquired the property.  I know people lean both ways with the value of this thing, but I'm going to go get it on Saturday.  Hopefully those rear wheels are worth the effort and expense.
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:13pm

Well, the guy said he would go as low as $300.  Are these wheels worth that?  I can use the block too.  My recently acquired B has a block that's been repaired with epoxy.  I think this block may be okay.  You never know.  He told me it was on a fish camp for years when he acquired the property.  I know people lean both ways with the value of this thing, but I'm going to go get it on Saturday.  Hopefully those rear wheels are worth the effort and expense.
I'd say so! Good job! 
There's plenty of good parts on that...front axle, oil pan, final drive housings, torque tube, rockshaft, rear wheel centers, fan, drawbar, steering drag link, seat frame, PTO guard (usually missing), etc... Those things don't usually need replaced, but I'm sure someone could use something off it. 
If no one needs the driveshaft in the torque tube and the splines are all good, you could cut it off short and use it to align your clutch on the flywheel when you do re-assembly on your rebuilds! I wish I had something like that when I did mine. It was just an eyeballing game. My 8N clutch kit came with an alignment tool, fortunately. 

Edited by CrestonM - 16 Nov 2017 at 6:44pm
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:33pm
Thanks Creston.  I appreciate that.  I hope it rolls.
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:15pm
If it was a horse, we would call it " rode HARD and put away WET " !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:03am
Steve,
I have brought some rough ones home but none quite as bad as that B. I think it could be a nice yard art piece out in the lawn?:) Also those steel wheels laid on their sides could make nice coffee tables at $1000 a piece?? Most of the stuff from up here has some rust, but usually covered in a protective coating of oil and grease. That pitting on the castings will be hard to cover with high fill primers?
Now if the block will work in your tractor than there is some value to you. I just see a lot of rusted broken bolts in your future.
But you do certainly have a way of turning these into little cuties! I will be watching. If Bill Long says its bad its probably bad!
 Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:00am
hasn't been in a fire, but it sure had a lot of bad style weather do it to it! prolly one that sat by the ocean?
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 5:37pm
Well, after thinking about all day, I going to pass on this tractor.  I have too much to do now.  All I see is a ton of sandblast work!  Thanks for all the comments.  They were helpful. 
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 5:58pm
Can't add much to what has already been posted except that the rear wheel centers are for rubber tires .   A B on steel rear centers have 4 notches and are twice as thick. 

Edited by Ken in Texas - 17 Nov 2017 at 6:07pm
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:22pm
Thanks Kenny.  I was wondering if those centers were correct.
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:30pm
One more bit of B trivia.   The closeup  pic of the engine block Casting # shows the ending number to be -11.  A BE block for sure cast in 1939.  Look for the BE engine serial number stamped into a small flat spot at the back of the block.   No place to bolt a Genny brecket to the block either.
      Spent its whole life as a hand cranked B.   Most all 40 Bs had electric start'

Steve
            Wife and I agree to sell all my B/C non assembled  Tractor parts including 2 running engines at current scrap price at whatever it is when it leaves the farm . Bring a big trailer

Edited by Ken in Texas - 17 Nov 2017 at 6:48pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:34pm

All I see is a ton of sandblast work!  
Electrolysis! Lol
Just hope those steel wheels and especially the extensions, don't go to scrap. I guess the rest I could stand. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic