This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snowblower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowblower
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:21pm
Had a chance to test out the snowblower the old belt shredded to bits in the first 60 seconds. The OEM calls for 5/8th" x 49" I've replaced it with a 5L490K Kevlar by Gates.

The new belt is working great, these single stage blowers require a bit of finesse on the operators part.

If it weren't for the hydrostatic drive these blowers would be useless.
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 8:30pm
Your already getting snow? Or just testing? What model snowthrower do you have?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Your already getting snow? Or just testing? What model snowthrower do you have?

We had about 6 inches of fresh snow, not sure what  model the blower is most of the identifying decals are worn off.

It's a 52" front mounted blower /thrower that came with my 9020 and will also fit the Allis 720.

It loves deep snow, with the thin layered snow you have to pick up speed to gather enough snow for the machine to throw the snow any distance.

If I'm able to find a snowblower that will operate from the rear 2000 rpm pto this single stage is history. It's heavy and awkward to do an implement change.

Not my snowblower but has the same effect you need a remote to stand up to avoid blow back. I came into the house looking like frosty the snowman.

[TUBE]0EWZfTgetCY[/TUBE]
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:18pm
I have that exact unit on my 720. It does require the deeper dry snow to get it throw it far away from you. But wet snow is a problem for all snow throwers. I keep using the term thrower because that’s how AC advertised them. And they are correct as they throw the snow instead of blowing it like people think. If it was blowing it, the snow would never contact the blades. My owners manual says 52” snow thrower. The first year I used mine it was the perfect snow, and it threw it 30-40 ft as advertised. But we mainly get the heavier wet snow here so it doesn’t perform quite as well. I’m still satisfied as it sure as hell beats a shovel. Do you have the electric shoot working to adjust snow flow away from you depending on wind?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:25pm
You are correct with it being heavy and a little awkward to hitch up. Using 2 people is a big help. But I hook it up for the winter and she stays on until spring. As with all their stuff it is built like a tank, and of course that’s where the weight comes from. Having chains and some rear weight helps it to go anywhere within reason.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:37pm
Broken gear case on the electric chute turner, I suppose it would work as is but the rollers are shot so I have the chute in a fixed position.

The wind on my property comes from the north so with the fixed position on the chute is not a problem.

Your right it beats shoveling, we'll see how well it performs when the weather gets colder and the snow is much dryer.

I still would prefer a rear 3 point blower, this would allow for easy change overs and let me keep the loader on at all times.

Do you have the wide rear tires or the AG's, right now I'm using the AG"s loaded with chains. Just curious how the wide tires perform.

The Allis 720 came with wide rears loaded with chains.
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 1:08pm
I've always appreciated what the single stage blowers were capable of, but never cared for being covered in snow, and got tired of wondering what sort of snow I would be up against.  I prefered to plow snow for most of my life as a result.  Now that I've had a chance to use a 2 stage blower, I'll never depend on a single stage again.  Add in a hard cab, and I don't even want to go back in the house anymore!

The 2 stage doesn't care what kind of snow it is...powder, wet-heavy slush, solid frozen snowbanks, etc.  It's a ridiculous snow eater.  And the cab gets up to about 21°C/70°F.  Embarrassed
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by talntedmrgreen talntedmrgreen wrote:

I've always appreciated what the single stage blowers were capable of, but never cared for being covered in snow, and got tired of wondering what sort of snow I would be up against.  I prefered to plow snow for most of my life as a result.  Now that I've had a chance to use a 2 stage blower, I'll never depend on a single stage again.  Add in a hard cab, and I don't even want to go back in the house anymore!

The 2 stage doesn't care what kind of snow it is...powder, wet-heavy slush, solid frozen snowbanks, etc.  It's a ridiculous snow eater.  And the cab gets up to about 21°C/70°F.  Embarrassed

Last night we had a light skiff of snow to remove it the single stage would have to be used as a plow then after unclogging the auger to blow the piles away. This in my mind is a dumb way to remove a light skiff.

A two stage would blow this light skiff.

I'm definitely going to replace this single stage with a proper 3 point two stage ASP.

A cab would be nice but I can live without.

Any recommendations on which snowblower would work with that rear 2000 rpm pto much appreciated.

Save
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 2:18pm
Even with my love hate relationship with this single stage it's still a whole lot better than a shovel. The trick on the light skiff is to grab a higher forward gear to gather up more snow.

Would I purchase a single stage, in a heart beat.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 6:55pm
I have a 719 hydro transmission, and a snow thrower for it. It does not care how dry or wet the snow is, it will even throw water.
 I've found wearing a full face grinding shield works real nice to keep the snow off my face.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:52pm
My 720 has the wide floatation tires. I ordered chains for it out of N.C. It made it almost unstoppable. Of course the snow thrower is moving the snow in front, but even backing up in the deep snow it still goes well. Bought a rear blade for it and that does pretty well also. Put I prefer the thrower in 4” and up. I have not seen a rear mount thrower for it.
As far as the shoot motor I believe someone on the forum last year said a windshield wiper motor from I believe a Jeep Cherokee fits.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:54pm
Oh, my full face motorcycle helmet works well. Keeps the noise down, my bald head warm and dry. Lol
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

My 720 has the wide floatation tires. I ordered chains for it out of N.C. It made it almost unstoppable. Of course the snow thrower is moving the snow in front, but even backing up in the deep snow it still goes well. Bought a rear blade for it and that does pretty well also. Put I prefer the thrower in 4” and up. I have not seen a rear mount thrower for it.
As far as the shoot motor I believe someone on the forum last year said a windshield wiper motor from I believe a Jeep Cherokee fits.

I think that any wiper motor or window motor could be adapted, I really don't have a need for a directional chute.

Good to hear the wide flotation tires with chains work for snow.

As for a 3 point two stage blower this maybe a home built project that should keep me busy next summer. Obtaining or making the screw flight was of some concern until I came across this video.

[TUBE]JAD0hu-pwSA[/TUBE]

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:48am
yeesh... I love the 'safety shoes' in the video !! It is impressive to watch..one guy, one hammer, and a square....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

I have a 719 hydro transmission, and a snow thrower for it. It does not care how dry or wet the snow is, it will even throw water.
 I've found wearing a full face grinding shield works real nice to keep the snow off my face.

Dusty

WE had about a foot of snow dumped on us, have to admit the snow thrower does a good job.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 5:17pm
When I had an 'off color' single stage unit, I increased the speed of the auger by about 10%. Ground speed controls how much got into the unit and the faster auger speed SHOT the snow a LOT further.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 5:20am
Chevy window motor out of 98 Blazer powers my chute.
You do have to redrill mounting holes
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:36pm
To get the best performance WOT is recommended from the factory on the 720/snow thrower.
I bought a 1968 7 hp AC Snow-bee 2 years ago to add to my AC collection. Origional tire/chains, kept inside most of its life. 2 stage in 1968, couldn’t believe it. It does a good job as well especially on side walks. I laughed when I got in my truck to take her home, the fellow said he didn’t know that you couldn’t run it on a gravel driveway? He busted his neighbors siding on his house in multiple places as it “threw rocks at a fast rate of speed” as he made his first pass. His wife said it had to go as it was an expensive lesson to learn. He had bought it from the origional owner just up the road. Best $75 that I have ever spent! I drove 4 hours one way to get it but I was on my way up to meet Brenda and Bill at Sandy Lake IMP. Bought a plow for my 720 while there and a few other things. Great trip.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic