This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BEEN TO THE CENTER OF HELL AND LIVED TO TALK ABOUT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:24pm
MELL WE ARE ALL THINKING OF YOU AND YOURS
Sponsored Links

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 8:37pm
Ok guys got news today that our cleanup crew has been assigned. They moved there equipment in today and will start tomorrow.
 As I said somewhere earlier each crew has certain equipment required...skid steer with grapple bucket...water truck or trailer
 photo PC030114_zps5xgnnkqa.jpg
Excavator of a certain size
 photo PC030115_zpshuoow23e.jpg
A light tower...a blue room...to start with. The crews only worked a half a day today. Yesterday this crew finished cleaning Davids mother-in-laws house....It actually is run by a step-nephew in charge of 4 or 5 of these Granite Construction crews. We had a discussion last night...he said he would put in a request for our address....said he had never tried that but there here!!
I was actually running the grapple tractor up on the ranch ...so Leslie went and met with them to get them dialed in. I post as things go. The equipment is parked on our access rd still about a half mile from our house.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:50pm
Thanks for the update, Mel.  Did the vineyard across the road get burned?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:53pm
No..It was ok...any place you see green grass was burned though.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:23pm
Ok....so to follow up this is how it went....once they show up with the address and put it out then that means your getting close
 photo PC040001_zpslwh9irw3.jpg
So in our case they started with the metal roofing first.
 photo PC040002_zpscch8vlbj.jpg
 photo PC040003_zpsmrxoxmhu.jpg
 photo PC040005_zpsfizdyk4w.jpg
 photo PC040008_zpsjkx2t0dg.jpg
The skid steer guy organizes stuff...but all the loading is done by the excavator.
 photo PC040013_zpsgrnovow7.jpg
They have 3 different sorts....metal goes to a local recycle yard...concrete which they break up goes to a local recycle yard...and the fire debris goes to a local landfill.

photo PC040016_zpsiu4jdpbo.jpg
 photo PC040018_zpsfrr2ixgm.jpg
 photo PC040020_zpsvcpmxpsr.jpg
So all these trucks get there own special label like this...all they use now is the super dump configuration...they were also using end dumps at the beginning...they spent to much time getting them out off the mud after the first 5 inches of rain.

photo PC040030_zps5ubagjtz.jpg
They even went in and cleaned up the chicken pen....you know the one I posted up the racoon that met his untimely death in one night...shameless will remember.

photo PC040022_zpsdjqnwmzq.jpg
They have there special little office for decontamination work
 photo PC040024_zpsnngi1h9b.jpg
There getting down to the roadbase that I put down about 40 years ago.
 photo PC050034_zpstw82msa2.jpg
 photo PC050036_zps91kh837a.jpg
So this is the final product....we're very pleased...got a clean slate! (LOL)  will have to cook on the AC BBQ grill and camp out for a while
 photo photo_zpsjvidkac7.jpg
Met with the PG&E electric rep yesterday....have a plan for power...I'll keep you posted
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 1:20am
Thanks for the pictures Mel.  Do you plan on rebuilding in the same location?
Now the folks down in So Cal are going through the same trauma, so sad
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 6:02am
At least they didn't try to sneak that Priceless Allis Grill out of there, you probably kept eyes on them for that!! Looks really clean, can make a fresh start.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 6:31am
This has to be heartbreaking for you and your family Mel. I had no idea it would be this involved in the cleanup process. Thank you for sharing the pics and your story. Stay strong
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 8:29am
Seems after a disaster like this and the chance of fire again in Cal the idea of a buried or partial underground dwelling would be high on list - that along with large sprinkler system for fire suppression. 
 doing a cleanup after a disaster is trying on both the owner and the cleanup crew - I have did some small ones and when one looks at someones lifetime, now in ashes, it makes one think of how lucky you yourself are to not be facing that loss.   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:08am
Here in MO it is highly recommended that a fire suppression water source(pond) be placed close to the home with a 'Dry' hydrant connection set so the fire department may draft from it even for neighboring properties. I know this does not help much in a drought region where ponds can dry up but provided they are deep enough and large enough(acre/ft. of water) the source may remain for quite awhile.

I am going to situate one of these by our home this next spring/summer with the hydrant close to the fence on the house side so as to offer double duty as a animal water supply and quick access for fire. Could even set up a supply point for a water curtain or deluge system for a large structure if allowable by county codes.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:12am
That will be quite a project DMiller
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 1:29pm
Mel sad to see all this, glad you and your family are all ok. Thanks for the pictures.
Tom
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 2:15pm
All ours will have will be a dry hydrant and a filtered discharge to a livestock supply tank, currently no need for any auto or powered suppression systems.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 7:00pm
DMiller please don't talk so loud Snowflakes,Fruits,and Nuts that running this coast may hear you. Fire departments can already shut you down from building on your property you have owned for years. The big city folks that know what us country folks should be doing already want us to move to town and all live in a apartment. 

IF YOU LIVE IN THE COUNTRY YOU WILL HAVE RISKS YOU WOULD NOT IF YOU LIVE IN TOWN. Live with it or go to town.

Not that some of your ideas do not make some since. But way to many that want to much control of what others do. Probably not what you where thinking when you wrote it.

From my prospective most of the brush in California needs to be burned ever 20 to 30 years in a wetter time of year. After a 75 year no burn policy,Cal Fire has come to this reasoning. So now air pollution people come and say no burning of anything. Plus a few houses burning in a controlled burn back to no burn,I would bet.

Some of the more built up areas need this controlled burn as topography makes it so if fuel is near the heat build up is so great the houses start from spontaneous combustion. 

The idea of more little ponds of water is great and federal Soil Conservation Service us to cost share on them out here for livestock and wildlife water sources.But not often anymore.  And the state has added a "special fee" for having one. As well as most snowflake want nature left alone.

Would not surprise me if Mel chooses to do some things to make his new house more fire proof.    
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 2:26am
thanks for the pics Mel. I still feel for you and the wife, still has to be heart breaking! be a good time to build under ground, for 2 reasons....any more fires, and that little fat kid across the pond.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 6:15am
Morning Ray, I do understand the CA mentality as to 'No Burns', 'Air Purity', an for the life of me will never understand the political mentality of taxing someone to death if they are trying to avoid bad situations or adding a supply of water to a land site. All such mentality tends to be one sided, single sighted and very VERY narrow minded looking at a picture of today or yesterday and NOT the reasonably close distant future.

MO Dept of Conservation along with the local Fire Departments do routine controlled burns so as to NOT allow the tinder to develop too far as they once did of the 40's and 50's when shutting down ALL fire seemed the thing to do. Our conservationists will even go as far as to log the regions of national forest not in public hands to remove tinder and old growth tree canopies so that fire once propagated does not expand so readily and rapidly.

Out in the country we are penalized for not having a fire department within five miles, nor having a water source close by the distant Volunteer service can draft easily from by our insurers. Adddig a Pond for natural water supply adds nothing to our tax structure(Yet) but does reduce the effects of fires as to supply when needed and for livestock so can keep them out of the little side streams here.

Then we have to look at these lovely large homes in CA, not so much Mel,s as his was by appearance an older well built and in the line of the fire, but these newer constructs with tons of laminated glued fiber man made materials, vinyl everything(petroleum based) or Styrofoam blocking for epoxy based(reduced algae effect) stucco's, then the asphaltic shingles. Our local fire department stated that newer homes will erupt into violent flame in less than 3 minutes where the old structures of the pre-60's will survive to 10 or twelve minutes allowing escape time. ONE THIRD the time is extremely scary. Then the nature lover's kind of like me that want to be closer to nature yet build inside tree canopies thinking they are saving money on utilities and picturesque settings only set themselves up for issues if there is a fire where the tinder box is too close.

Edited by DMiller - 10 Dec 2017 at 6:27am
Garlic Pete View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 10:48am
That looked like a well coordinated, planned and executed clean up.

I'm glad that you're back to the clean slate and ready to move in a positive direction.

It is a credit to you and your family that you can maintain the positive, constructive and optimistic perspective as you go through this.

Thank you for sharing the process and results with us.

Pete.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 11:10am
Thanks guys, so John...yes.same house..same spot. I'll be moving in a compactor and bringing in some roadbase to bring it back to where we need it..somtime soon. My wife took the original house plans with her when we left that night. The house was 17 years old..so those plans will be retweaked as needed and used again.
 Dave, to follow on that earlier post...yes as you explained the federal agency's are here for all those reasons. We have a very heavy EPA presence monitoring asbestos.
 Ray's right on about the California govt.s attitude...but Dave's even closer with his...one sided..narrow minded....etc. (that would be the description of the liberals that govern the state of California)
 There is a Cal Fire requirement...4290 inspections for rural home owners to have certain width roads and 2500 gallon water storage for fire protection.
We probably won't do much different this time though....are house was very defensible against a normal fire. This was like a hurricane with fire instead of water...if your house was in the way..all the water in the world wasn't going to help you.
The underground bunker? Well my wife thinks we should get a 20' container for storage...so she can start shoppin sales and have everything we need when the house is done..so you can just move in. So I'm thinking maybe when were done with it I should bury it back in the mountain behind the garden with the excavator. Would work for root cellar..fireproof storage..etc.  Would also work when Shameless Dudes..buddy "ROCKETMAN" starts lobbing bombs at us.   
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 12:49pm
WOW Mel, looks like you live in Shangri-La, that is beautiful God's country. I sure hope you can get rebuilt and settled quickly. beautiful bride, beautiful home, a man can't ask for much more!
In some respects, not that I am minimizing your loss, but in some respects you were fortunate, loosing the business could have been a lot more traumatic! Thank God you all are well.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 2:09pm
Mel, if you do decide to bury a Conex, remember to completely seal the outside with a tar/plasticized coating, and weld all the corner vents shut then cast concrete around the sides and over the top(Around 3" for the top thick), set bracing inside to hold the roof up to pour the over roof, if need ask why, buddy of mine did this and was a concrete contractor, said he destroyed one Conex by Not supporting the roof while over pouring lightweight concrete. He used 1/2" rerod on the sides 2'OC, 3/4" across the roof, 1'OC and all cross tied. Underside had a 1"clean rock 2'thick drain platform with drain tile to the outside covered with sheet plastic vapor barrier. I bet you know where to get good drainage rock!!

Edited by DMiller - 10 Dec 2017 at 2:09pm
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:59am
Ok..here's an update. The PG&E rep. showed up to review the situation. The discussion finally ended with...we could relocate the service to a different location...using the same underground wire..if we could dig it up without damaging it and provide enough to reach a new location...also if we did not use a bigger service than the original one (200 AMP). The original service was direct burial...which I put in in 1976. They don't allow direct burial now...must be in conduit. But do to these circumstances...we could use it. We actually shortened the meter base by 60'. So we got a local contractor friend who does a lot of underground work to bring a vacuum truck to uncover it...went real well the second day after I uncovered the top of the trench with the backhoe about 1 foot down to the top of the sand in the ditch. We actually found that the last 40 feet went into some conduit originally...so we pulled out all of it that went to the original service.
 Had our contractor go to the County building department and procure a electrical permit for a new service...and with some guidance this is the way it looked.

photo new house_zpscmq57qwf.jpg
The left side being the service side...goes into a 3'' sweep into the sand...the right side with the 3'' LB..goes into conduit to the house..which is stubbed off for now.
 photo new house 2_zpsx10j2u3z.jpg
So this was signed of by the county inspector and "Hootie"...didn't get my call to the inspection desk in time...so we had to wait 4 days over Christmas. Once it;s approved a call to PG&E only takes a day.

photo new house 4_zps81ele7ie.jpg
Just so you know this was only temporary...but the AC BBQ turned into a work bench for the last couple of weeks...I did clean it off yesterday and build a warming fire though.
 photo new house 1_zpsmgtefmoj.jpg
So we have a nice 5th wheel to use from some friends...they decided to loan us theirs...so they could go buy a new one.

photo PC280004_zpsu3itepwf.jpg
"HOME SWEET HOME"....We'll be moving in..maybe today or within the next several days.
 photo PC280009_zpseodw9tow.jpg
Next step will be to get an engineer to view the site so I can bring some material in and compact it back to grade..keep you posted.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:23am
 Hi Mel, I am very pleased that you are making progress.   Tad

Edited by Tad Wicks - 01 Jan 2018 at 6:22pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:36am
Glad to see your progress Mel. Keep trucking and thank you for sharing.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:10pm
Good that you are moving forward.  Getting all the little things done before you can really start construction seems to take forever but then, yeah!
I got a demo permit for a 20 X 48' cow shed built out of 6 x6 posts rough cut 2 bys and steel siding and and roof.  No problem getting the permit but then got an email saying I needed to have it checked for asbestos.  UH, no wires, floor, shingles, plumbing, paint but there might be asbestos!  This inspection is required by the State health Dept., not the county so maybe it won't be looked at to carefully.
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:45pm
Been worried about you Mel. How have you made out with all the rain and mudslides. Sure hope it hasn't consumed all the gains yu have made. Keeping you and your family in my prayers. God bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:36pm
Mel,
Thanks for the updates on your tragic situation! Hope things progress as quickly as they can for you and your family!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:02am
At least you have a home for the time being! Nice work on the meter base and supply system btw, here in MO they are still allowing direct burial while I decided to conduit from the main/meter all the way into the house and the shop and the barn when set the cables. Was told was overkill yet can still remember our first house when ants came up the conduit into the service box. Was a mess.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 1:34am
that's a mighty sweet looking place where your house was/will be again! glad you are making less painful progress than what I thought you would hafta go thru. keep us posted!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:42am
how are you coming along on your place Mel?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:50am
Dale, I think he's having trouble moving forward because he has yet to receive a picture of you wearing the hat he sent you.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic