This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:18am
Chris, how do you collect all of your sap?
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by farmboy520 farmboy520 wrote:

Chris, how do you collect all of your sap?

We use 5/16 I.D plastic tubing made for the syrup industry. String it from tree to tree, tight and down hill. Several 24 inch vertical drop lines tie in at each tree. A plastic spout  on the end of the drop line is tapped into a 5/16 dia hole drilled into the tree. Sap flows to a container and then we gather and pump it into a tank on the truck.

We have gathered approx 4,000 gallons of sap this year. 

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 6:53am
WOW that is a lot of sap.

One thing though... I think that tank would look better on a carryall behind one of your WD's Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

WOW that is a lot of sap.

One thing though... I think that tank would look better on a carryall behind one of your WD's Wink

Dave,
 That might work but the front of the tractor might be a little lite. at around 2500 lb when full it would be a load! Also I travel about 30 miles to gather at about 30 locations so it would not be as comfy!:)

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:04pm
And the pickup is a lot warmer, has a heater
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:12pm
I didn't realize you went that far! I thought you just had some woods and trees nearby. Don't know why I thought that.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

And the pickup is a lot warmer, has a heater

For sure! 
Dave, most maple folks in their right mind don't run all over for sap like I do. Most try to have a single or several locations with most of their trees. My approach is to rent groups of roadside hard maples that produce high sugar content sap and high volumes of sap too. Also I don't have to get off the road and get into the muddy conditions in a wood lot. Its just the way I started making syrup and works for us. It does take me at least 2 hours to make a gathering run if I don't have to come back and unload. 

We are shut down from cold weather: (time to get a Allis picture in here to keep it all legal:))

I know it looks a lot like the pictures from late Dec 2017.

Even setting out in these conditions The WD45 fired up first try! Could be a keeper!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Mar 2018 at 8:40pm
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 9:48pm
Wow Sugarmaker, does it not ever stop snowing up there lol? If I ever go to Pennsylvania it will be in summer for sure. I've been wanting to do some walleye fishing on Erie for years. I've enjoy reading about your craft and learning a little. I don't think anyone makes maple syrup this far south to my knowledge. I know a few guys that make molasses, of course that doesn't come from trees. Believe it or not Bridgestone still uses a lot of natural rubber (about 50%). I wouldn't have thought that until I started working there. I think most of the rubber tree plantations are in South America. Of course I don't know anything about it, but I'd say gathering that sap would be similar to what you do. Although, they may cut grooves in the bark.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

Wow Sugarmaker, does it not ever stop snowing up there lol? If I ever go to Pennsylvania it will be in summer for sure. I've been wanting to do some walleye fishing on Erie for years. I've enjoy reading about your craft and learning a little. I don't think anyone makes maple syrup this far south to my knowledge. I know a few guys that make molasses, of course that doesn't come from trees. Believe it or not Bridgestone still uses a lot of natural rubber (about 50%). I wouldn't have thought that until I started working there. I think most of the rubber tree plantations are in South America. Of course I don't know anything about it, but I'd say gathering that sap would be similar to what you do. Although, they may cut grooves in the bark.

Ranse,
 I worked in the rubber industry for 40 years. Mostly behind a desk but did learn a few things too. Yes rubber trees are in hot to tropical climates around the world. Natural rubber is still very good product! They scribe the outer bark of the rubber tree and the white sap flows into a cup. They gather that daily. Slow process I think. Rubber trees take about 7 years to develop enough to be tapable. (a maple tree takes at least 40 years).

We do get summer once a year for a few minutes and the fishing is very good in streams within 10 miles of home. (I dont fish much, should fish more)

Regards,
Chris
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 7:46pm
You are a man of many surprises Surgarmaker. You are right, the rubber is white when we get it. The company showed us a video about it one time. Like everything else the company shows us, I didn't pay to much attention. I do remember some South American dude walking thru the jungle with a long pole across his shoulders with a bucket on each end. It's hard to believe all the tons of that stuff we use could be harvested in such a primitive manner.

Stream fishing is fine, but I was more interested in the big water. I worked with some guys about 10 or 15 years ago. They went on a charter trip on Lake Erie and had some awesome looking walleye pictures. I've had the bug ever since, but I don't fish much anymore either.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 5:52pm
Ranse,
 Get up here and fish! A good small hotel that caters to fisherman is the Green Roof Inn in Platea PA. Address may be Girard PA. (I think thats the name of the place?) Google it!
We can talk tractors. Friend also has a boat he takes on Pymatuning reservoir too. Mid April he will put it in the water. 

I don't have many other surprises.:)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:10am
The pictures are a little different. Your sap rig is in the background! That last picture looks pretty miserable.

Does the 45 have fluid in the tires? I bet it does pretty good with those chains on.

I think your sap collection sounds like a good plan. Driving in the truck does sound better that carrying a couple hundred gallons of sap through the woods in pails.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:59pm
Dave,
 That was a snowy day! 
Not sure about the fluid, but I think it does have them loaded. The 45 plows snow good!
May get another sap run this weekend? But since the taps have been set for six weeks that may be the end of our season. The tree starts to heal over inside the hole and stops the flow of sap.
Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:02pm
I remember WAY back when I learned how they made tires,,,,,,,,and always have wondered WHY do you pay EXTRA for white walls???  That's the way they come.....

FORTY YEARS old????  WOW!!  I suppose those are the oldest and the biggest.  I've never thought of tapping the one outside my Mother's back door.... hmmmm

I've heard of guys that put 4 or 5 taps in the same tree.  Is it because of the healing over and they put another tap in  to freshen it?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:34am
Sap running good these last couple days?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

I remember WAY back when I learned how they made tires,,,,,,,,and always have wondered WHY do you pay EXTRA for white walls???  That's the way they come.....

FORTY YEARS old????  WOW!!  I suppose those are the oldest and the biggest.  I've never thought of tapping the one outside my Mother's back door.... hmmmm

I've heard of guys that put 4 or 5 taps in the same tree.  Is it because of the healing over and they put another tap in  to freshen it?

Ted,
40 years is from a sappling to the size of a sap bucket. The big road size trees are 150 to 200 year old.
The small taps we use now (5/16 inch dia) usually allow the tap hole to heal in a little over a year or so. Most folks dont re-tap after initial holes are drilled. 

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:07am
exSW,
We havent had and sap for a week. Out of the last 6 weeks we have been froze up for 50% of the season. We might get some sap Saturday or Sunday. Maybe close to our last runs? Your welcome to stop this weekend. 17 sugarhouses open in the area.
visit pamaple.org for the info.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Mar 2018 at 8:12am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:24am
Back to some Allis stuff!
Hey it finally stopped snowing in Erie PA area! Just a inch shy of setting the record for the snowiest city in the US. I think we are at 199.5 inches or there-abouts for this winter.

So the WD45 is thawed out! Here is Daughter Kelly working some areas where she had some drainage work done this spring. The old disk and cultipacker was drug out of the weeds and worked good to smooth out some of the rough edges. She is getting a little more used to operating the tractor. She even got it stuck in a wet spot in the field. Good thing the chains were still on. We unhooked from the disk and it walked out. Then from better ground, pulled the disk out with a short chain.

I checked the fluids and it looks like the engine oil is a little cloudy/ milky? may have a head gasket problem or a cracked head or block? Will keep a eye on that.
 Other than that the tractor worked well. Temp never got much over 130 F. Was thinking of maybe pulling the valve cover and checking the bolt torque on the head!

Regards,
 Chris
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 11:39am
IIf you do take the valve cover off, check the core plugs in the top of the head for any sign of apinhole leak. It's one of the most common problems that cause milky oil and cheap  and easy to replace
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:18pm
I'm a little jealous of that rig. That disk and cultipacker looks like a nice setup
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:40pm
You need a set of duals like this to open wet ground up. lol
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

IIf you do take the valve cover off, check the core plugs in the top of the head for any sign of apinhole leak. It's one of the most common problems that cause milky oil and cheap  and easy to replace
x2! I had that happen on my B. I put a "good" rebuilt head off a CA on it, and filled the cooling system while I had the valve cover off. I looked down and a small stream of coolant was spewing in a large arc out of a pin hole in a freeze plug and going straight into a push rod hole! It couldn't have been aimed better. Drained the oil, put in a new freeze plug, (3 actually) and that fixed it. 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

He needs that disc, too! I like the old drag discs, but for damp ground, a hydraulic rockshaft and wheels are really nice. 
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:25pm
Hi.   Is a hydraulic rockshaft similar to a traction booster drawbar?   Ross D.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:28pm
I'll just take the duals..........You can have the disk Creston.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

Another of my long term projects that I really hope to get done some day. Have a new set of 15X28 rims off of a JD that I can't seem to give away and band dual hardware from a pair of 38"s to cut down. Also have a good pair of 16.9X28 field and road to go on them. I think my 'wide front' 45 would look great with this set-up.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:25pm
Don,
That 45 with the duals looks like it would do the job on wet ground! Or get you stuck a little farther down the field! Nice disk set up too. 
My old disk need some work, they only get a hour or two work a year, so I just run them as they came. One blade is broken and wobbling! That old cultipacker does a nice job smashing clods. Its a 7 footer. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Apr 2018 at 3:27pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

CTucker,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to remember to do that check of the soft plugs.
Need to drag it home and do some work on it. Many things to look at when you get one of these old girls from an auction. So far I am Ok with the tractor and the move from a WD to the 45. I would like to take it to a couple pulls this year just to see what it might do, fresh from the farm!:)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:50am
Folks,
 Brought the WD45 home this week for some repairs.
Found three of the bolts loose or missing from the angle cross support under the front of the engine.  
PO has a cable from the snap coupler lever to the snap coupler. Looks like it may be ok as is, so just trimmed off some excess cable. 
Jacked the front end up and checked the steering. It steers quite hard in sharp turns. Has some wiggle/slop in the system. Tried tightening up the key way lock nut that did not fix it.  Greased it and even added some oil for lubrication in the steering box. Did not seem to help much? Any ideas/ Suggestions?

I brought the Ford 951 brush hog home too and proceeded to repair the caster wheel frame which somehow got bent over last several years.

The WD45 got some action hauling syrup wood for next spring. It seems to run pretty good. 

I did get some rear tire prices. New Firestones 14.9-28 would be right at $500 each with tube, cant remember the style/type. I have one rear tire that's pretty good its a Goodyear 14.9-28. If I could find a good used match for that one I would probably go that route rather than new. The other tires were Carlisle and BKT which were about $50 cheaper per tire. ( the Good year is shown in the second picture above, if anyone has a matching one for sale let me know.

I have other things I would like to do on this tractor while its home too. 

-Check the soft plugs /head for water leaks. 

-Work on some cosmetics such as the radiator shell and hood. Both are in need of attention. Have to be careful as I know what this things lead too!:)

- add the headlights that I took off the WD.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:38pm
Good to hear from you again. It looks like you're finally getting some nice weather!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 45>
  Share Topic