This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 5:33am
Steve,
if you didn't know "You have a B problem'"! That's a good thing:) Good luck! Sounds like you made the deal already on this one. Hope the journey is a fun trip. Always good to bring home a new project too! Is being close to the ocean air bad for these units?
You may have to start naming them after hurricanes?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Nov 2017 at 9:37pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Why am I up?, shift work!

Aaaaah yesss! I almost remember the work thing, don't miss it a bit!:) Keep things moving out there.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:25am
Folks,
Just remembered that I need a clutch foot rest I believe I have one in the vast warehouse. Have to dig around in the Allis parts. One thing I am please with is how this 45 starts! Never a issue so far. Doesn't seem to smoke any, shifts good, no jumping out of third that I have found. got a real good seat, probably a replacement, but in good condition, seat shock works good.
Some other things I need from Sandy Lake.
- Battery box. ( i think the current battery is too big for Std box:()
- Tool box, this one is there but not very good shape.
- Good used quadrant
- plastic quadrant slides
- springs on control levers below quadrant.
- rubber tips for levers
- correct starter switch lever/ assembly
- good used starter pull rod
- good used PTO rod with knob
- good used chain for snap coupler up to lever
Sounds more and more like a restoration project! Yea it needs some detailing for sure!
Regards,
 Chris

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 7:08am
The wheels look great!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 7:36am
Chris,go to Dollar General and get one of those Icy Hot tens devices that stick on your back. Keeps me crawling on and off machines.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 8:15am
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

Chris,go to Dollar General and get one of those Icy Hot tens devices that stick on your back. Keeps me crawling on and off machines.

Thanks guys,
 I need something! Have considered the chainsaw but the wife cant get it started! I have one of the tens units. Stopped using it as it was just getting annoying and no real help. Bio-freeze about every two hours. I think I need top shelf whiskey!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

The wheels look great!

Mike,
Thanks! Quick job could have been detailed out more but she will look much better than when I bought her and she was on her knees with both front tires flat.
On to try to clean up the hubs today. Cold out paint is not going to dry well.
Regards,
 Chris

Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:59am
You've done a lot in a week without many new parts. Nice job.

Edited by Claus - 04 Nov 2017 at 10:00am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:11am
Speaking of new parts Cheryl seen the list of parts and said "NO WAY! NOT FOR THAT OLD PIECE OF JUNK", or something like that!
I will try to work them into the budget somehow, or do with out for a while.:) Not my first rodeo!
Making "something out of nothing" has been my MO since I was a kid.
Regards,
 Chris
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 11:11am
keep it up, Sugarmaker! You have the BEST posts! Thanks!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:35pm
Jay,
 Well that was a very nice compliment! I guess I don't try real hard to make them special in any way. But sure glad you enjoy them. We ramble in and out of the weeds and sometimes even discuss orange tractors!

Some pictures of the old 45 with upgraded look on the front.

Hub clean up only! still have the grease and dirt on the pedestal. Just not doing the whole tractor right now. Rattle can of Allis orange #1820 Krylon. Pretty close to PO#1.

Wheels/ tires mounted: Much better, just need power steering now!

Was the day to do this painting as rain is coming tomorrow.
Found the foot clutch foot plate and installed. Found a WD oil cup. It fits but is shorter. Any reason it wont work if I tighten up the bail??
Checked battery while at fast idle, and it was at 14 volts. Alt is working ok. Also checked that coil and yes it says it has to have a resistor!
Went for a mile tractor ride. It doesn't have much play in the front end. Steers better. Oil pressure is good at first and drops off pretty quick after warm. Typical I believe.
I would love to tear in to the rear rims and repair and paint them. But probably not this fall!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Nov 2017 at 6:39pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Why am I up?, shift work!
Aaaaah yesss! I almost remember the work thing, don't miss it a bit!:) Keep things moving out there.
Regards,  Chris
I need to go back to work, I need a rest....... LOL

Folks,
Just remembered that I need a clutch foot rest I believe I have one in the vast warehouse. Have to dig around in the Allis parts. One thing I am please with is how this 45 starts! Never a issue so far. Doesn't seem to smoke any, shifts good, no jumping out of third that I have found. got a real good seat, probably a replacement, but in good condition, seat shock works good.
Some other things I need from Sandy Lake.
- Battery box. ( i think the current battery is too big for Std box:()
- Tool box, this one is there but not very good shape.
- Good used quadrant
- plastic quadrant slides
- springs on control levers below quadrant.
- rubber tips for levers
- correct starter switch lever/ assembly
- good used starter pull rod
- good used PTO rod with knob
- good used chain for snap coupler up to lever
Sounds more and more like a restoration project! Yea it needs some detailing for sure!
Regards,  Chris

Is this a list of all the things you need Chris??  Maybe you need to do like I did and buy a donor tractor.... hehehe Big smile LOL Big smile LOL Clap Clap
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Very nice work Chris.  I'm headed south 3 hours to grab another B.  Why?  I'm trying to catch Ted. 
  You've already got me beat, I don't have a B.  Just bought another C though...Big smile
Sure wish I'd a saved my money though, as there is a D-17 in the classifieds WITH a loader and a BACK HOE!!!  ALL for only $1500.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:32pm
Ted, Folks,
That's my problem there is always another one that comes along that needs saving!
And if you do find a tractor with all the items in place its not a donor tractor its probably a restored tractor, and or your going to pay a lot of money for it. Seems I buy the unwanted lower cost misfits then try to piece them back together!:) Which usually costs just as much as buying a good one, but is a lot more fun!
Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 5:18am

Ted, Folks,
Seems I buy the unwanted lower cost misfits then try to piece them back together!:) Which usually costs just as much as buying a good one, but is a lot more fun!
Regards,
 Chris

Chris,
I think I do that too.  Usually pay more than if I'd just bought a restored one.  However, I find it very satisfying to get a dying tractor and bringing it back to life. 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 6:46am

Speaking of new parts Cheryl seen the list of parts and said "NO WAY! NOT FOR THAT OLD PIECE OF JUNK", or something like that!
I will try to work them into the budget somehow, or do with out for a while.:) Not my first rodeo!
Making "something out of nothing" has been my MO since I was a kid.
Regards,
 Chris

I must like old pieces of junk because it looks good to me!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:33am

[/QUOTE]
Chris,
I think I do that too.  Usually pay more than if I'd just bought a restored one.  However, I find it very satisfying to get a dying tractor and bringing it back to life. 
Steve
[/QUOTE]

Steve,
 Agreed! Its somewhat therapeutic to work on a tractor project. It also keeps the money in the bottom of you wallet for getting old and moldy!
What are your plans for the B you just brought home?
regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:47am
Mike,
 Its growing on me too. Makes me want to dive right into it. Maybe next spring? Little steps for now. Having done the two WD's I know most of the moves to make it right again.
I do like to grab hold of the curved shifter and ease it into gear. Reminds me of working with the 45's on the farm. If I had a dollar for every time I shifted one of those I would be a rich man in money. Now just a old man rich in memories. Wished I had pictures of Dad working with those worn out WD45's!
back to now:
I think I can save the fenders but they will need some banging on. Like most of the rest of the sheet metal.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 11:18am
Folks,
 The D17 has a new stable mate. Weather has turned yucky with lots of rain and colder for the next few days.

Regards,
 Chris
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 6:26am
I think that's the best picture so far. Love it. Now you just need to line up the WD, WD45, and D17 and snap picture.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 6:54am
Dave,
If I get a chance I may do that. The wide front WD still looks pretty good and will make these look a little crusty!
This 45 is a tractor that needs lot of attention in almost all areas. I guess those are the ones we need to bring back. Maybe its in a little better shape than the WD's when I brought them home!
I think I would like the 45 to look like this WD that I gave Nic. A good clean, Repair and paint.

And if I went crazy, I would really like you and DonMO to tutor me on building a good strong (170) engine for this tractor.  With some 14.9 Firestones on the rear! And Factory power steering! There I said it!:)
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Nov 2017 at 6:57am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 7:43am
That is a nice lookin WD. We're going to have to keep an eye out for a power steering unit. That D17 has ya spoiled.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 7:45am
Right there!! Don's got a power steering setup for sale Chris!
Does it come with free installation?

Edited by Allis dave - 06 Nov 2017 at 7:46am
Ifixjets View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ifixjets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 6:26pm
You've already got me beat, I don't have a B.  Just bought another C though...
Sure wish I'd a saved my money though, as there is a D-17 in the classifieds WITH a loader and a BACK HOE!!!  ALL for only $1500.

If you don't mind where is the D 17 located
Thanks
Harland

Edited by Ifixjets - 06 Nov 2017 at 6:29pm
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 8:30pm
Welcome aboard, ifixjets! Where bout's do you live around OKC? I'm out here halfway between Mustang and Union City with 2 WD's, 1 WD45, and a D17 Series 1 besides 2 AC lawn and garden tractors and a series 500 4 row AC corn planter. 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 3:59am
Jim,
 You have a nice herd of Orange! Pictures???
Dave,
 I know Don has or had that unit. Would be very nice and I am spoiled!
Must try to get some much needed sleep now.
Regards,
 Chris
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:02am
Good morning Chris! Smile
Yes, I do have a small herd. I do have pics of where they sit, but not in the same spot. 
Have the NF WD patiently waiting to get running again, but life started happening after I got her here, which took a few $$ and time. Now time is the commodity.
With a 10 yr old blessing of a daughter, I'm not missing out on anything in her life. 
I'll get to it eventually. 
My D17 is also patiently waiting for her new brakes to go back in.
My other WD wf with the 45 crank just needs fresh gas and points cleaned up and it'll be running. Then some nickel and dime things to fix as I can like gaskets and such. 
Dad's 45 with the Freeman loaded pops right off every time as long as there's juice in the battery. I need to get the alternator checked out. 
I got started on the AC L&G 914H to find out that it didn't have fire anywhere. Going to have to go inside the shroud on the Kohler. So, it's a time involved project as well. 
My 712S just needs a tube in the rear tire and a cone for the pto to run the tiller and mower. 
Being the popular guy that I am, my time is very limited for this kind of fun out in the weather & no shop to work in. 
Glad to see the headway that you're making. Big smile
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 5:36am
Jim,
Great bunch of tractors you have. Sounds like it could keep you busy for several days!:)
Spend time with your daughter!

UPDATE on the 45!
On my way to Wexford Wed we made a side trip to Sandy Lake Implement and picked up some parts for the 45. Talked to Brenda and got a new calendar.
air cleaner cup, air hose, brake springs .....
 Just some things to get it buttoned up for winter. I hope the weather is better, or I am going to have to move Cheryl's car out and bring it in the garage. I have to pull the air cleaner and remove the mesh for cleaning.
I am tentatively scheduled for back surgery on Friday after Thanksgiving. Hoping I can get back to to more normal life in the near future.
Regards,
 Chris
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 5:50am
good luck with the back surgery, keep us posted after! and I like that tractor, you been doin a good job on it!
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:32am
Chris, yes good luck with the back surgery and make sure to do all the  Dr. tell you, been there and done that 30 yrs ago but getting where I need to do it again (didn't behaved myself) . I also like following your post with all the picture and stories. Kenny L.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 45>
  Share Topic