This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 7:01am
Dave,
 You may be right on the power steering thing!:)
It just has a hitch in its giddyup as you try to turn it. More checking in that area.
Got those nasty roll pins out of the hand crank shaft last night. I think that was harder than taking a engine out!
Just realized those rim picrures look about the same.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 11:15am
Great work, as always!

I have some pieces of rim I saved from the junkers I cut up for the rails. Would have sent you one or two but you had the repairs done before I had time to post!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 4:50pm
Mike you have some interesting pieces of rims left. I vote for you to weld them together and make a Allis rim art sculpture! Thanks for the thoughts!

Well I did get the engine pulled today. Had a minor issue, in that the engine would not slide off the spline. A quick call to Don and he set me straight. remove the pressure plate from the fly wheel from below where the cover is. Yep that did it. Not sure how I will get the clutch pack out yet. But I am sure there is a way. Good news is that the clutch looks to be fairly new. Pictures coming!
Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jun 2018 at 12:51pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 8:55pm
Folks,
Pretty exciting stuff here!

Maybe should have taken the head off in the tractor? Have the engine attached to the engine stand.

Attended local tractor show today. Took the WD wide front. Will pick it up tomorrow.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Jun 2018 at 8:57pm
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:03am

The exciting part is when it goes back in ;)

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 8:58pm
Dave, Folks,
Well we have encountered some set backs. This engine is junk. Cracked between all the webs on the upper and lower portions of the block. I have it completely dissambled and hope I can salvage enough parts to build a engine. If not I will be looking for another engine or tractor.
 I did get a bunch of pictures as I took it apart.
The engine had 4.125 dia sleeves and flat top pistons.
So I have pulled out another WD45 block that had a WD crank in it. Will take it apart and find if it has any visible cracks. If it looks ok I will get it magnafluxed.
Crank looks like it needs turned and would require undersized bearings, at least on the mains?? More inspection required.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jun 2018 at 7:38am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 6:59am
Sorry to hear about your loss...
Sounds like good news though if you've already got another 45 block. You should be all set there. Grinding the crank shouldn't be a problem, I think you can go down to 30 or 40 undersized. Looks like an exciting project.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:23pm
Dave, Folks,
 Recovery is everything!
Pulled the WD crank out of this block and then pulled the sleeves. It looks good to my eye. 

Will start to gather parts to take to the machine shop:
Crank
Rods
Block and main caps.
Head
Would like to have them line hone to eliminate the shims on the mains. Also a couple rods had shims. 

Will deliver the rims to the tire shop to get the new tires mounted tomorrow. Should get the rest of the wheel hardware from sandblast this week.

Still need to open the final drives at the bull gear to check bearings and seals.
Thanks for checking in on me!

Regards,
 Chris
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:31am
Great to hear the good news on your other block! 
I think that I'd be tempted to give 'er a little more snort within reason while starting from scratch. 
Glad to see that you're doing good, too! 
Have a great week!
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Jim Hancock Jim Hancock wrote:

Great to hear the good news on your other block! 
I think that I'd be tempted to give 'er a little more snort within reason while starting from scratch. 
Glad to see that you're doing good, too! 
Have a great week!

Jim,
 That is the plan! If I am going to build one I want it to be a good stout engine. We will see what the budget allows!:)

Just got the tires mounted. They look pretty good.
This prior to instalation:

Having local shop mount these, they made it look easy peasy!

Currently at about 15 PSI

Unloading them with cherry picker

Cleaned up and ready for centers and hardware.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:56pm
Good looking tires and rims! They look like they fit good on those rims.
I think you'll find that you won't pay anymore for an 45 engine kit with D17 pistons than you would for a lower compression 45 kit.
I've seen Don and others say on here many times that the D17 pistons work really nicely in the 45's. Take their word for it and not mine ;) 

Make sure to check the block deck really good to make sure it's true. To get your piston standout correct.
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:06pm
Yes to Allis Dave. 
I was thinking of the D17 kit and the 17 throttle spring. 
Love those tires, too! 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Good looking tires and rims! They look like they fit good on those rims.
I think you'll find that you won't pay anymore for an 45 engine kit with D17 pistons than you would for a lower compression 45 kit.
I've seen Don and others say on here many times that the D17 pistons work really nicely in the 45's. Take their word for it and not mine ;) 

Make sure to check the block deck really good to make sure it's true. To get your piston standout correct.

Dave,
 That is the general path I am thinking of taking if the checking account holds out!:) Suggestions from anyone are OK. Thanks! 

Don has been very kind to provide some direction to me too!

I hope to have all the main parts ready to take to the machine shop next week. Have them evaluated decide on the machining needed.

At this point it looks like the spare 45 block may help move this project forward. Currently cleaning up the block surfaces and re-tapping threaded holes.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Jim Hancock Jim Hancock wrote:

Yes to Allis Dave. 
I was thinking of the D17 kit and the 17 throttle spring. 
Love those tires, too! 

Jim,
Sounds good on the engine kit!
Thanks, I think the tires look OK too. Will pick up the hardware tomorrow from the blaster and start to get that stuff in primer and P.O.#1.

Regards,
 Chris
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 5:27am
Chris,
I've missed a bunch of this, (been out of town some and fighting with my Massey a bunch) wow, what a project!

I like the idea of a bit more snot too. Dad used to do that a bit. Going from memory here, it seems he put a D12 kit in a D10. That was always one of his favorites.

Nice rims too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 7:27am
Play Farmer,
 Hope you get your Massey in order! 
I picked up the rim to wheel parts from sand blast yesterday, and spent the day cleaning, priming, painting and assembly of rims to wheels. Got them done at dusk last night. Wife even thought they looked good. :)

Getting to the point I can do these fairly easily: Yes my signature painted lady look, not for the purists on here, sorry! (wheel stops in place too! Thanks Den!)

While searching in the vast warehouse for some other tractor parts, I did come across an section of donor rim that would have been perfect for the repair of the rusted out valve stem areas: With never seize on the eccentrics and cams they locked into position fairly easily with a breaker bar and cheater pipe. Ready to mount on the tractor at some point in the future. Whew Those always seem like a challenge for me to get done. This location of the rim and wheel should assure me that the tractor will fit on the trailer.

I need to decide if I am going to take the lower final drives apart for inspection? (bull gear area). Now is a good time prior to wheels going on.

I did work on cleaning up the block yesterday. All threaded holes were chased.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jun 2018 at 12:45pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 8:30am
Great Chris, those tires and clamps can be a bare. They look great.

You mean you tapped all the holes before you started assembling the motor?
That seems like a way better idea then waiting like I did and trying not to get dirt in everything!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 8:53am
Tires and wheels look great! Where did you find the 14.9x28 Field and Road? I thought they were NLA from Firestone.

What do you do to keep busy between tractors?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Great Chris, those tires and clamps can be a bare. They look great.

You mean you tapped all the holes before you started assembling the motor?
That seems like a way better idea then waiting like I did and trying not to get dirt in everything!

Dave,
Yes I read your thread and tried to learn some things. I chased all the threads in the block prior to it going to the shop for magnaflux and checking for true.

Thanks on the wheels. Its worth the effort when they work again as designed.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Tires and wheels look great! Where did you find the 14.9x28 Field and Road? I thought they were NLA from Firestone.

What do you do to keep busy between tractors?

Mike,
 Thanks on the wheels. You are right on the Firestones. 
The tires are Crop Max brand. Do you think they came close to matching them??

Little bit of maple syrup making keeps me out of trouble in the spring. Garden, lawn, house, kids grand kids, and great grand kids fill in the voids between orange projects! Since I am retired (4 years) I have worked on 6 tractors and a dozer. Not all clean an paint, some just maintained. Not sure how I had time to do the work thing!:)

Thanks for checking in on me. Not much tractor action today, rainy and cool. Think I will take the 6.7 for a cruise to pick up some syrup jugs.

I have to clean the WD45 crank oil passages and the block oil passages. Should set up my E-tanks for cleaning some of the parts too. 

Hope things are good in orange land.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jun 2018 at 12:43pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:29pm
You're doing GREAT Chris!!  All the pics make it even better!!!!  Clap Clap
I still like your color scheme. Thumbs Up  After all, it IS YOUR tractor.
Hopefully I'll have a donor 45 block for a backup when I get around to tearing down my donor tractor.  I bought it just for the front end, mine is REALLY BAD!!  So the rest is just gravy. Tongue
I just wish I had the time to work on all my projects!!  It WILL NOT STOP RAINING HERE!!!!!!
Today is the nicest day we've had in,,,,,,,,,,,forever and here I am at home instead of up at the farm.  Well, you've gotta keep the ole lady,,,,,,,,,,er, the loving wife happy sometimes.  This way she doesn't rant at me when I go for a week at a time.  She's been really good with me about my insanity / disease...

Thanks for the advice, I just bought a welder from Harbor Freight and can't wait to try it out!  I've got some of those religious wheels to fix up too.  You know, the 'holey' ones. LOL LOL
Keep the good work up and if I lived closer, I've got your next project. Cry
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 4:34pm
Ted,
 Folks,
Just got back from National Thershermans show in Wauseon Ohio. Saturday was raining in the morning but warm and nice in the afternoon. They had 50 Prairie tractors there! Very impressive show, some with 8 foot high drive wheels! Lots of Allis-Chalmers there also. I have pictures. :)
Regards,
 Chris 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 8:47pm
Loaded up the engine stuff and took to the machine shop today.
Well folks, I am now looking for at least a good crank for a WD45. Mine can be fixed, but cost may be a factor. If any one has one for sale let me know. 
Other than that things are progressing nicely, I think!:)
Probably should be looking for a good engine???
Hope things are good out there. Thanks for checking in on me.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 7:03am
What's wrong with the crank?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 2:53pm
Dave, Folks,
 The crank could be repaired but was near the end of its life. The thrust area was deeply worn. The front main would have had to be welded it was very egg shaped. The rod journals were already .030 under and might have had to go .045 under to clean up.
 I found a crank from a local guy that collects Allis stuff. He is just starting to sell some items. So I caught him at a good time. 
New crank has some surface rust but measured as a unturned crank. Thrust area was worn but serviciable. Woops forgot to get a picture. Delivered it to the machine shop this pm. He thought it would clean up OK and he was going to bead blast it first.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Jun 2018 at 2:55pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 2:55pm
Great news Chris, glad you found one! Sounds like the other one was plain wore out!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:16am
The plot thickens as I progress with the engine and tractor project in general. I think I am starting to develop a plan for this tractor. It will be brought back as a good working WD45.
I am going to leave most of the factory items on such as hydraulics and rock shaft. The tractor may have a little more hp than stock. Some items may be repaired as needed but may not be cleaned and painted. 
My next part of the project is to go through all the small engine parts and have them ready when the block and head come back, which may be be a while.
Couple of shots on the way to the machine shop:

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 8:10pm
Folks,
Slight change of plans again. Started working on some sheet metal items. Took the mesh out of the old grill shell and have the shell in the Electrolysis tank. I have some new screen to go into the shell. Rusted out areas will be repaired. May get some primer too?

Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Jun 2018 at 8:13pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm
Folks,
Yep its hot!
 Ordered the springs, valves, keepers and guides for the WD45 head work. Also ordered a set of cam bearings. Need to keep this engine build moving.

Working on cleaning the grill:

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 9:13pm
Folks,
 The grill got some attention today.
Cut out he rust on both sides:

Patches in place:\

Even the hole for the shutters is closed:

One side roughed in:

New grill screen cut and installed:

Might get it cleaned up and in primer tomorow?
Thanks for checking on me. It was very warm in our neck of the woods today!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Jun 2018 at 9:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 45>
  Share Topic