This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 45>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Speaking of new parts Cheryl seen the list of parts and said "NO WAY! NOT FOR THAT OLD PIECE OF JUNK", or something like that!
I will try to work them into the budget somehow, or do with out for a while.:) Not my first rodeo!
Making "something out of nothing" has been my MO since I was a kid.
Regards,
 Chris

I must like old pieces of junk because it looks good to me!
Sponsored Links

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 5:18am

Ted, Folks,
Seems I buy the unwanted lower cost misfits then try to piece them back together!:) Which usually costs just as much as buying a good one, but is a lot more fun!
Regards,
 Chris

Chris,
I think I do that too.  Usually pay more than if I'd just bought a restored one.  However, I find it very satisfying to get a dying tractor and bringing it back to life. 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:32pm
Ted, Folks,
That's my problem there is always another one that comes along that needs saving!
And if you do find a tractor with all the items in place its not a donor tractor its probably a restored tractor, and or your going to pay a lot of money for it. Seems I buy the unwanted lower cost misfits then try to piece them back together!:) Which usually costs just as much as buying a good one, but is a lot more fun!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Very nice work Chris.  I'm headed south 3 hours to grab another B.  Why?  I'm trying to catch Ted. 
  You've already got me beat, I don't have a B.  Just bought another C though...Big smile
Sure wish I'd a saved my money though, as there is a D-17 in the classifieds WITH a loader and a BACK HOE!!!  ALL for only $1500.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 8:56pm

Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Why am I up?, shift work!
Aaaaah yesss! I almost remember the work thing, don't miss it a bit!:) Keep things moving out there.
Regards,  Chris
I need to go back to work, I need a rest....... LOL

Folks,
Just remembered that I need a clutch foot rest I believe I have one in the vast warehouse. Have to dig around in the Allis parts. One thing I am please with is how this 45 starts! Never a issue so far. Doesn't seem to smoke any, shifts good, no jumping out of third that I have found. got a real good seat, probably a replacement, but in good condition, seat shock works good.
Some other things I need from Sandy Lake.
- Battery box. ( i think the current battery is too big for Std box:()
- Tool box, this one is there but not very good shape.
- Good used quadrant
- plastic quadrant slides
- springs on control levers below quadrant.
- rubber tips for levers
- correct starter switch lever/ assembly
- good used starter pull rod
- good used PTO rod with knob
- good used chain for snap coupler up to lever
Sounds more and more like a restoration project! Yea it needs some detailing for sure!
Regards,  Chris

Is this a list of all the things you need Chris??  Maybe you need to do like I did and buy a donor tractor.... hehehe Big smile LOL Big smile LOL Clap Clap
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:35pm
Jay,
 Well that was a very nice compliment! I guess I don't try real hard to make them special in any way. But sure glad you enjoy them. We ramble in and out of the weeds and sometimes even discuss orange tractors!

Some pictures of the old 45 with upgraded look on the front.

Hub clean up only! still have the grease and dirt on the pedestal. Just not doing the whole tractor right now. Rattle can of Allis orange #1820 Krylon. Pretty close to PO#1.

Wheels/ tires mounted: Much better, just need power steering now!

Was the day to do this painting as rain is coming tomorrow.
Found the foot clutch foot plate and installed. Found a WD oil cup. It fits but is shorter. Any reason it wont work if I tighten up the bail??
Checked battery while at fast idle, and it was at 14 volts. Alt is working ok. Also checked that coil and yes it says it has to have a resistor!
Went for a mile tractor ride. It doesn't have much play in the front end. Steers better. Oil pressure is good at first and drops off pretty quick after warm. Typical I believe.
I would love to tear in to the rear rims and repair and paint them. But probably not this fall!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Nov 2017 at 6:39pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 11:11am
keep it up, Sugarmaker! You have the BEST posts! Thanks!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:11am
Speaking of new parts Cheryl seen the list of parts and said "NO WAY! NOT FOR THAT OLD PIECE OF JUNK", or something like that!
I will try to work them into the budget somehow, or do with out for a while.:) Not my first rodeo!
Making "something out of nothing" has been my MO since I was a kid.
Regards,
 Chris
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:59am
You've done a lot in a week without many new parts. Nice job.

Edited by Claus - 04 Nov 2017 at 10:00am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

The wheels look great!

Mike,
Thanks! Quick job could have been detailed out more but she will look much better than when I bought her and she was on her knees with both front tires flat.
On to try to clean up the hubs today. Cold out paint is not going to dry well.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 8:15am
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

Chris,go to Dollar General and get one of those Icy Hot tens devices that stick on your back. Keeps me crawling on and off machines.

Thanks guys,
 I need something! Have considered the chainsaw but the wife cant get it started! I have one of the tens units. Stopped using it as it was just getting annoying and no real help. Bio-freeze about every two hours. I think I need top shelf whiskey!
Regards,
 Chris
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 7:36am
Chris,go to Dollar General and get one of those Icy Hot tens devices that stick on your back. Keeps me crawling on and off machines.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 7:08am
The wheels look great!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:25am
Folks,
Just remembered that I need a clutch foot rest I believe I have one in the vast warehouse. Have to dig around in the Allis parts. One thing I am please with is how this 45 starts! Never a issue so far. Doesn't seem to smoke any, shifts good, no jumping out of third that I have found. got a real good seat, probably a replacement, but in good condition, seat shock works good.
Some other things I need from Sandy Lake.
- Battery box. ( i think the current battery is too big for Std box:()
- Tool box, this one is there but not very good shape.
- Good used quadrant
- plastic quadrant slides
- springs on control levers below quadrant.
- rubber tips for levers
- correct starter switch lever/ assembly
- good used starter pull rod
- good used PTO rod with knob
- good used chain for snap coupler up to lever
Sounds more and more like a restoration project! Yea it needs some detailing for sure!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Aaaaah yesss! I almost remember the work thing, don't miss it a bit!:) Keep things moving out there.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 5:33am
Steve,
if you didn't know "You have a B problem'"! That's a good thing:) Good luck! Sounds like you made the deal already on this one. Hope the journey is a fun trip. Always good to bring home a new project too! Is being close to the ocean air bad for these units?
You may have to start naming them after hurricanes?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Nov 2017 at 9:37pm
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 4:40am
Very nice work Chris.  I'm headed south 3 hours to grab another B.  Why?  I'm trying to catch Ted. 
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 2:10am
Ok very exciting wheel pictures!

Patch at rusty valve stem area, on rim #2.

A little silver and cream on the repaired rims, with old tires mounted over new tubes.
I think we are almost back in business. Not perfect by any means, but should make the old girl feel a little better with some lipstick on. :)

FYI total cost on these old rims/tires so far is about $30 each. Tubes were 12.50 each and the blasting was $10 each. Labor to mount them, and some paint I had in stock.  The one tire is not real good, age cracked, but will have to due for a while.

I would like to tackle that grill shell but don't think i will get to that this fall. Weather is getting colder. We will have a good frost tonight the temp is 35 up close to the house. Off to get some rest, you guys are working me pretty hard!:)

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Nov 2017 at 2:23am
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 2:02am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 1:33am
Claus,
What keeps you up at this hour?  That machine of yours is similar animal to mine. But your 4 way bucket makes it very useful. Hope you can get in and out of the transmission project with minimal cost and effort. These tend to be money and time time sponges! I got my 2 hours of sleep now about 2 hours up walking/ standing. Then we try it again.

Back to Orange.
 I did get the centers of the wheels painted cream. Actually Rustolem Antique White. I like that color, Looks like real "top milk" for you old dairy farmers out there!:) It may not be close to what Allis used on the D series tractors? But the wheels will look OK. So I need to clean and paint the hubs P.O. and the lug bolt to get the total effect. One hole is stripped out on one hub and there was a bolt in there. I may reuse that same bolt till I get a new hub ready. Have a spare hub, that I found in the vast warehouse, but need to look at it for wear in the bearing race seats. Yea I have a pictures but haven't got them loaded to computer from camera yet! Slackin!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Nov 2017 at 1:38am
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:53am
Very Beastly!  Love the Red paint!  

I recently bought a Deere 450C, something in the transmission broke after owning for a month.  Now it's in my Uncle's shed, winter project.  I understand what you are saying about bigger and heavier.  My machine weighs 14,000 pounds before the 4 in 1 bucket.  My tracks and under carriage are in good shape, I had loosed the tracks a little too much in this photo but corrected that before the transmission broke.

Edited by Claus - 04 Nov 2017 at 1:03am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 10:23pm
Claus, Folks
TD6 as found on the farm: Had a lot of issues:
Starts on gas then switch to diesel.

TD6 this fall:
Improving the drive ways.

another shot, working on lights. This was a partial clean and paint with 80% staying with original patina:

another from back, again only portions cleaned, repaired, painted. Electrical up graded.

This has been a very interesting project. Everything is bigger and heavier! it weighs close to 12000 lb.

Here is one with the big rock guard off. grill was in bad shape. a little buffing on that too!:)

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 4:19pm
Alright, enough teasing, let's see the TD-6!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 4:01pm
Doug,
 Your probably right on the coil. I may buy a new coil as mentioned to clean that up.

exSW,
Glad to find you here too. That is the iIH machine that did my back in! Allis machines seem to have a healing effect!

This 45 is just going to be a clean up and fix apparent things type project. Which should take me right up to snow season. I did get the other front wheel repaired, and took the rims and tires to get mounted with new tubes. have to finish painting the centers and then clean up the hubs.
Brenda from Sandy Lake called and has all the parts except is looking for a used pulley delete cup. That will allow me to boost the economy and provide fodder for this 45 thread!:)
Hope things are good in Orange land!

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Nov 2017 at 4:10pm
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 3:01pm

Doug,
 I thought it might be a ballast resistor. But it has a 12 volt coil not 6? And the resistor seems to be hooked up? Where is Gearld J or Steve (B&B) when we need them? They love this stuff too! Anyway this will have to be looked at. Right now the tractor starts and runs fine. Has a amp meter which vibrates a little on start up. I haven't put a meter to anything on the tractor yet. Some days I wished I would have studied electrical instead of drafting!:)
So this is on the list but down there a ways and doesn't seem to be affecting the tractor running. Battery must be charging some, because I have not had to charge it yet.
Regards,
 Chris
Chris,

I don't know what voltage that coil is. You can put an ohmmeter across the two terminals. If is measures under 2 ohms, you have a six volt coil. If it measures over 3 ohms you have a 12 volt coil.  It's not a big deal. I'd bet that is a 6 volt coil. The previous owner wouldn't have bothered with the ballast resistor if it were a 12 volt coil. If it works, leave it as is.  BTW, you can tell if the alternator is charging by measuring the battery voltage while the engine is running a bit above idle. It should measure around 14 volts.

Edit: I think it says 12 volts, but under the 12v and I may be imagining, but I believe it also says "use with resistor."  That makes it a 6 volt coil, regardless of how it is labeled.

Edited by DougS - 03 Nov 2017 at 3:07pm
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 1:17pm
I want to see this go the same direction as the TD-6.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 12:49pm
I'd just buy a new 12v coil with internal resister to help clean it all up a little.
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 11:58am
Probably a 12 volt coil, but have the correct internal resistance. Remember the 1970's Mopar engines. They all required an external ballast resistor.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:46am
I have seen a couple of lift arms bent too. Always think, how in the h... did they do that!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:06am
Doug,
 I thought it might be a ballast resistor. But it has a 12 volt coil not 6? And the resistor seems to be hooked up? Where is Gearld J or Steve (B&B) when we need them? They love this stuff too! Anyway this will have to be looked at. Right now the tractor starts and runs fine. Has a amp meter which vibrates a little on start up. I haven't put a meter to anything on the tractor yet. Some days I wished I would have studied electrical instead of drafting!:)
So this is on the list but down there a ways and doesn't seem to be affecting the tractor running. Battery must be charging some, because I have not had to charge it yet.
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 45>
  Share Topic