This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190xt engine rebuilf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jds40004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190xt engine rebuilf
    Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 3:48pm
Getting ready to rebuild the engine in this tractor over the winter. What is the largest bore the block can go to and still be reliable? It's largest load will be a round baler and only 20 roles a year.

Have no problems spending the extra money to make it stouter just plan on doing it once. Then it should out last me.

I've tried looking for parts or a supplier for them but can't find anything

Trying to plan it out before I start on it. Will be balanced, fire ringed and copper head gasket.

Thanks
James
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:47pm
If your largest load is a round baler, why do you want to spend more money for power that you do not need? 
Get a good engine kit from a reputable place (NOT e-bay).  Balancing, fire rings and copper head gaskets are not needed for a regular farm tractor doing regular farm tasks.  Different story if you are going to be doing hardcore pulling with it.
I did a major rebuild on mine last year.  Bottom end, valve kit, camshaft bushings (often overlooked).  Pretty much everything was from Reliance.  Had my neighbor do the rebuilding, he is very thorough!
The 301 is already a very reliable engine with no known major problems.  Don't waste your money on the "upgrades" you have mentioned.  Focus on the engine as a whole.  Look at everything!  If you are not sure of something, don't overlook it -replace it.
It will outlive you providing you do not cut corners on the rebuild.

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Jds40004 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jds40004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 4:47am
I've never put an engine back stock my entire life. I like one to have way more than it should. Point is I'll only be rebuilding this engine once so spending money to make it more isn't an issue

The real reason for making it bigger is because I want to not because I need to.

I was just looking for some one that had been into them to see what bore was obtainable before having problems with counterbores
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 6:11am
You have way more than you need now for what you do with it.  If you want more, add a second turbo.  I know of several 301 AC's running twins in a 410 class pulling and they do just fine at 315 cubes.  But...they leave the line turning 5,000 rpm and making 80+ lbs of boost.
AaronSEIA
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 7:49am
John Deere 404 engine sleeves and pistons can be used in a 301 after the block has been machined to accept them getting around 360 cubic inches
Beirnesy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beirnesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:03am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

John Deere 404 engine sleeves and pistons can be used in a 301 after the block has been machined to accept them getting around 360 cubic inches

may I ask what connecting rods and piston pins would be used in this combo? 
1969 220,1967 190DXT,1968 190DXT, LGT's 710,,716
Jds40004 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jds40004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:12am
Thanks Doug. That's what I was looking for. No engine shops around here are familiar with allis
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:00am
Hopefully ops heads will chime in, but this project would be perfect for his 341 sleeves and pistons. Using the aftermarket sleeves he has custom made, they go right in the block with no machining. I have drop on fire rings and mls head gaskets here for 301, and several others too. I've got heavy duty pushrods in stock as well. I can see a tweaked up fuel pump, improved injectors, and an S200 turbo rounding out the package! Great build until you see how much it would cost lol! Then you'll have to take it pulling lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:29pm
A copper head gasket for a farm tractor??... bad idea...will leak water and oil everywhere in time.  A larger bore on a farm use tractor just to say you have a larger bore?? ...another pretty bad idea...you can develop enough power with the stock bore to rip everything behind it to shreds on the farm, and the engine won't ever break a sweat or let you down.  Sealed Power pistons and sleeves I believe are the old M&W design and are a step up in cold starting and run real nice I've been told.  I like the idea of twin-turbo's a whole lot better.
Jds40004 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jds40004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 2:17pm
Perkins uses copper gaskets on a lot of industrial engines as did caterpillar now it's mls. I'm fine with either style.

I agree with it being over kill. I'd rather have more displacement if it doesn't cost a huge difference in price. I'm only building it once

Fuel wise it'll get sent to you Ed. Don't need huge smoke just want response

I was thinking hx35 on charger. Small enough to spool quick. Not sure difference between it and s200?

Will send cam for a regrind. May try to find a roller as I doubt there will be any zinc left in diesel oil in 10 years and hate idea of wiping cam out

I know it won't be cheap to build. Figuring 2000 in machine work alone. It's going to be a toy anyway

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 8:43am
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

Hopefully ops heads will chime in, but this project would be perfect for his 341 sleeves and pistons. Using the aftermarket sleeves he has custom made, they go right in the block with no machining. I have drop on fire rings and mls head gaskets here for 301, and several others too. I've got heavy duty pushrods in stock as well. I can see a tweaked up fuel pump, improved injectors, and an S200 turbo rounding out the package! Great build until you see how much it would cost lol! Then you'll have to take it pulling lol!

I'm probably just dreaming Ed, but how much horsepower do you think this combo would put out and a ballpark figure?
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 9:07am
Depends how far one wants to go with pump and injectors. 200-250 is pretty easy without a lot of custom work. I've got several setups like that out running around, mainly going down the pulling track, and light hay work etc. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic