This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 speed for wc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 speed for wc.
    Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 9:19pm
Dr. U make a high low for a wd45, will it fit in a wc.
Sponsored Links

AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:06am
I doubt it.  They are 2 completely different transmissions.  Not sure the good Dr really has a "2 speed".  It's more of a set of split speed gears, isn't it?  A 2 speed in my mind can be shifted like the D series Power Director or the IH's TA.
AaronSEIA
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:27am
My 2-speed as it is won't fit in a WC chassis. I'm sure I could make one, as long as the WC has the newer "disconnect" style rear end. Cost would be the next thing. Not one person asked to have a 2-speed built for a WD/WD45 like mine when they found out what it cost. I now have 50 plus passes down the track the last two seasons with zero trouble. A 15% under-drive would be ideal for the WC, which would place gear speeds 1/2 way between what is already there.
Robacpuller View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:05pm
Dr.I have 18.4 - 34's that I am putting on my wc. A little gear reduction would help. I have 400 cubes but know that the tires will make my 1st. GEAR EVEN FASTER. I have 15.5-38's at 30% over I can hit 5.5 mph. At 4 mph I will have to idle down the track. I have motor apart know for a refresh, and Marty Nelson is doing some work on some parts. It will have more hp. I would like to pull some NATPA division 3. Can I make a smaller axle gear to run with bull gear. ?
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 6:00am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

My 2-speed as it is won't fit in a WC chassis. I'm sure I could make one, as long as the WC has the newer "disconnect" style rear end. Cost would be the next thing. Not one person asked to have a 2-speed built for a WD/WD45 like mine when they found out what it cost. I now have 50 plus passes down the track the last two seasons with zero trouble. A 15% under-drive would be ideal for the WC, which would place gear speeds 1/2 way between what is already there.

I forgot what the cost was, remind me.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I forgot what the cost was, remind me.

Semi load of corn if I recall. 

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 7:58am
Four custom made gears, one custom made countershaft and four bearings were about $1800 if I remember right, and then the machining of the torque housing and fabbing of the lower front bearing mount....... all labor. In the installation in a WC, there would have to be a "gear case" made for everything to fit inside.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:03pm
As for the question about making half shafts with smaller pinions to mate with the bull gears, yes it can be done, but to do so, you will need to make new bull gears and make new backing plates for the gear housing pans in order to move them to make everything fit. I've done this, not rocket science, but it would get pricey if you can't do much of it yourself. Gears themslves are not really that expensive unless you expect the gear cutter to do the engineering, then it becomes pricey,and you may be disappointed with the final product, especially for one offs. Knowing exactly what you want, what you want it made out of, how you want it made, finished, heat treated and finish machined in very specific terms is the key to buying economically produced and suitable gears for the expected use.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 5:52pm
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will just have to do some more research. Gearing up for next year.
joetom08 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joetom08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 4:13am
Easiest route is to just get a RC rear end since you have a unstyled wc. If you had a styled wc I'd look into the Sherman step down transmissions. Both of these options are a lot cheaper than having custom gears made.

Hope to see you in symco next year rob!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 9:15am
I haven't done the gear ratio math but, changing to an RC rear end (slower ring and pinion) makes second gear like low gear and third gear like second. In the end, you wind up with a very slow Low gear and not much else.  This is what I've been told by someone who tried it. The Sherman or Heisler 2-speeds work well, but don't like 75 HP or more run thru them. Eventually they fail from the strain.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:11pm
As the Dr. Pointed out, unless you are pulling dead weight, an RC rear end by itself isn't of much value. For transfer the real key is to be able to pull in 4th gear without adding additional gearing, thus keeping hp losses to a minimum, hp is only good if you don't waste it in transmission.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:44pm
WC with the disconnect removed has enough room for a short shaft Saginaw between the transmition and the rearend. Three speeds are cheap , small and plenty strong enough.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:46am
Dakota Dave were do I get one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic