This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front PTO Belt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostDog88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front PTO Belt
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 7:45am

I bought a (used) Pow'r Max Simplicity tractor couple days ago. Complete with FEL and Backhoe attachment. 

Tore up some earth yesterday and today. Was super happy. Then......like boating or racing.....sadness.

Thanks to this forum I have learned I have a Allis 720 (Please all I am new, so feel free to correct, advise, and teach!)

The belt on the front PTO broke. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get a new one on there. No tensioner? No way to remove the bottom pulley? I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the new belt on without removing everything.

I looked in the manual. Did I miss it somewhere?

Anyone out there willing to help out a newbie?
Sponsored Links

talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:53am
Any pictures of your setup?  I would love to see what you have.

I 'bought' an Allis 620 with loader and backhoe earlier this week as well, however the seller turned around and sold it out from under me, despite our agreement.  Stings quite a bit...
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by LostDog88 LostDog88 wrote:

I bought a (used) Pow'r Max Simplicity tractor couple days ago. Complete with FEL and Backhoe attachment. 

Tore up some earth yesterday and today. Was super happy. Then......like boating or racing.....sadness.

Thanks to this forum I have learned I have a Allis 720 (Please all I am new, so feel free to correct, advise, and teach!)

The belt on the front PTO broke. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get a new one on there. No tensioner? No way to remove the bottom pulley? I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the new belt on without removing everything.

I looked in the manual. Did I miss it somewhere?

Anyone out there willing to help out a newbie?

The FEL was manufactured by another company, you;ll not find instructions in the AC manual, what you have is an ARC loader.

And your backhoe is probably a Brantley Model 603A

I also recently acquired an AC 720 with the FEL but its not home yet, the Simplicity 9020 is the sister tractor.

From research I found out that the FEL has a separate hydraulic pump that attached to the front of the engine or possibly driven via the belt your looking to replace.

Since I'm unable to give pictures or instruction by looking at my tractor directly I'm going to assume that the Simplicity engineers of the time used the same technique to tighten the belt as they used for the snow blower jack shaft.

The pulley underneath the front of the tractor rests on a pivot that allows the pulley to swing up or down, on this pivot bracket there;s a long threaded rod with a spring sleeved over it.

There;s a pair of nuts on the treaded rod you loosen and have to back off to gain enough slack to put the new belt on.

I suspect the hydraulic pump used fro the FEL would be of a similar arrangement.

Nothing special has to be done to slip the new belt over the electric clutch pulley at the front of the engine, that pulley sits forward of the magnet.

While you changing the belt it might be a good time to adjust the air gap on that front electric magnet pto clutch.

If your AC 720 has not been re-powered and still has the original Onan engine the front pto clutch has four studs each with a spring that sit behind the face plate.

The faceplate has  four slots this is where the you place the .010 feeler gauge to set the air gap. Do not insert the feeler gauge more than 3/16" . You make the adjustment by either tightening or loosening the four nuts on the outside of the faceplate.

To prolong the life of the electric clutch only engage it at low engine rpm. This will minimalize friction during engagement.

Edited by rustydollar - 14 Sep 2017 at 10:40am
LostDog88 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostDog88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:40pm
uploads/17600/20170914_102426.jpg
Originally posted by talntedmrgreen talntedmrgreen wrote:

Any pictures of your setup?  I would love to see what you have.

I 'bought' an Allis 620 with loader and backhoe earlier this week as well, however the seller turned around and sold it out from under me, despite our agreement.  Stings quite a bit...

I should have known. It might be my first tractor but not my first forum. LOL.

Here is a photo of the machine and the second one is from the front with the guard removed looking at the hydro pump. I am almost done getting the belt on there.

Enjoy!

Edited by LostDog88 - 14 Sep 2017 at 12:42pm
LostDog88 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostDog88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:32pm
More pix.

Sorry for my MTD being in the way on the last pic, but I was way to lazy after working all day to move it. 

I know it needs a bath and some paint, but I am busy using it right now. LOL.

uploads/17600/20170914_191535.jpg

rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:44pm
Nice, do you know the year it was made.

If you remove the belly pan under the transmission, you'll be the first one in the last 40 years to have cleaned out the accumulated dirt and oil.

I got about 15 pounds of crap out of my tractor.
LostDog88 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostDog88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 8:52am
No clue the year. The best I can figure is that it was produced sometime between 1975 and 1980. Made by Simplicity, it was marketed and sold by Montgomery Ward.

The serial plate is scratched and missing some numbers on the side of the step rail. 

As for taking the belly pan off....Ugh. I know it will need some other maintenance, but it runs so well and I am so busy with the work around the homestead to take things apart. Like the toggle on the dash that is giving me fits, the hour meter quit working whoever knows how long ago. Etc. Right now I am just doing basic maintenance and working.

It does need a new joystick assembly thing for the shovel as the valves are leaky and it drifts right and down when sitting idle. That is driving me absolutely nuts! LOL.

Anyone know where to get one, or how to rebuild it?

LostDog88 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostDog88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:41am
Finally got some work done and starting changing fluids and such and got the belly pan off.
I wasn't surprised to see that it was pretty clean already. The old guy who sold it to me was meticulous about cleaning and taking care of his equipment. It was sitting in a barn back in the corner and looked like other than some normal wear/tear it had been very well taken care of.
We named her Olga. And let me tell you, she is a beast. I am amazed at what this little tractor can handle in a day.
Digging out tree stumps, trenched in conduits between house and garage. Prepping the garden bed, etc. So far, no task has been to great. She does take a little more time, but time I have!

Edited by LostDog88 - 26 Oct 2017 at 9:42am
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:10pm
Nice unit.  I think you were quite fortunate to get this combo. Really cool that you are able to make such good use of it without major maintenance = before you can even use it, that often comes with a purchase like this !
LostDog88 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostDog88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by macvette macvette wrote:

Nice unit.  I think you were quite fortunate to get this combo. Really cool that you are able to make such good use of it without major maintenance = before you can even use it, that often comes with a purchase like this !

The best part was the price. I have yet to find a unit with shovel and FEL for less than 5000. And even at that price they are pretty beat up.

I do have some boom drift that I will have to work out, but all in all (I don't usually like to name prices, but I think it is okay to do that here) for 3200 cash including everything. I am a happy (hobby) farmer!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic