This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45, Are they all worth Saving?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45, Are they all worth Saving?
    Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:29pm
The other day I saw this WD45 sitting way back in a field. I found out who owned the land and I went back and looked at it. I'm telling you, it was love at first sight. It was a complete tractor, sheet metal straight as an arrow, I believe it may have power steering, it even had a blue AC oil filter on it. That's were the good points end. I have been kinda wanting a WD45 as the next addition to my collection, but I'm not sure I should fool with this one. For starters, the tractor was actually sitting inside a shed which had literally collapsed around it. I was stumbling over rotten wood and metal roofing as I was taking the pictures. All four tires totally rotten, one back rim rusted out, the other may be useable. Front rims not useable. The gas tank I think is to rusted to use. The gear shifter I couldn't move, so I assume the transmission is stuck. I tried to turn the motor by hand and I think it's stuck as well. The brake pedals wouldn't move, however I was able to move the foot and hand clutch. I think it may have WD engine in it. It has a curved gear shifter and a WD45 decal on the radiator shell, but it has a plate on the left side of the block. I took a picture of it hoping someone could tell. I'm not really interested in a WD45 with a WD engine. I've been debating whether to contact this man and find out if he's interested in getting rid of the tractor. Hopefully he will be willing to let someone remove it just to get rid of it. Does anyone know what this tractor would weigh? If I have to buy it, there's no way I'd pay more than scrap metal price. I'd like to hear some opinions thanks Ranse.

albums/p371/Chessi23/wd45203_zpslulvnpof.jpg" />

Sponsored Links

ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:46pm
check the ser.# it may be a 1953 WD with a WD45 decal, 53 WDs had the crocked gear shift if it is I would defiantly save it as for weight..aprox 4500 lbs
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:09pm
Forgive my ignorance, but why would a WD have a WD45 decal? Where is the serial number? I looked by the gear shifter like on my B, but couldn't find it. I will have to contact the owner before I go back. I was trespassing the first time.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:29pm
That is definetley a WD45. I can tell by the fender brackets, seat bracket, air cleaner, distributor and gear shifter. Around here it was common practice to swap a WD engine block into your wd45 tractor if the 45 block cracked and then move all the internal wd45 parts into the wd block. I am guessing thats what you have.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:03pm
I've read that on this forum before Alex. I reckon the reason for it was the WD blocks were more common. My question is what do you have afterwards? Would it have the same horsepower of a WD45 or WD, or somewhere in between? I think it would make it more difficult for someone like me to work on. I wouldn't know what kind of internal parts was in it just by tearing it down and looking.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but why would a WD have a WD45 decal?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Because the decals kits had both decals and apparently most people can't resist
putting on the WD 45 decals.  
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:08am
Get it! They don't make them anymore, so they're only getting less common.
 A WD engine block would not make the tractor any harder to work on if they moved all the guts from the 45 over. Even if it is a straight WD engine, they're pretty simple. Remember...these were made so the average farmer with few tools could fix them. 
It doesn't look like it has power steering to me, but it could just be the photo.

Edited by CrestonM - 21 Jun 2017 at 9:44am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:28am
is that one rear wheel cock-eyed?
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:05am
I am going to be on the other side of the fence. If I was interested, it would only be for a parts tractor. WD's and WD45's are some of my favorites, but they are plentiful and not very valuable. By the time you get this tractor useable, you are going to have way more invested than you could ever hope to get out of it.

If you do all the labor yourself, completely rebuilding an engine (right) is going to be in the $1200 - $1500 range, which is about what a good WD45 is worth.

A used rear rim is going to be $150 - $200. Tires another $400 - $500. Just the little things (complete fluids change, points, plugs, condenser, coil, rotor, plug wires, hoses, battery, front tires and tubes, etc.) can run into quite a bit of money.

You have no idea about the engine block, transmission, clutch, hand clutch, hydraulics, pto, radiator, final drives or differential. A lot of these old tractors were parked because something needed replacing that the owner thought was too expensive to repair.

It definitely has some value as a parts tractor. As you said, the sheet metal looks pretty good.

Most any tractor can be saved for a price. I am still working on my grandfathers WF, that I am going to have around $6000 when it's done. This WD45 would be close to that by the time it's done.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:13am
I agree  with WF owner, I have a super M farmall I bought for $700 that ran and after a complete redo I now have over $5000 into it.    That said my intention was to have a good useable tractor when done and this is my hobby.   If all you want is to end up with a WD45 for the least amount of money you better look elsewhere.
tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:33am
I just sold a good WD45 with wide front and factory power steering and good tires and rims for $1500. Maybe I should have asked more but doubt I could have gotten much more than maybe $1700-1800. Tom
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:43am
Parts tractor. No doubt. 

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:46am
To answer your question requires a definition of "worth"

If you mean would it make financial sense to put it back into shape then dont walk but RUN! away from it. You will have double in it what you can buy a good running tractor for. You could make some money if you get for the right price and part it out.

However if you get satisfaction from preserving something and maybe have a young son to work beside you then YES it is worth saving. I did a few of those myself when my sons were about 10 years old and wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. Just dont keep track of what you put into it.

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:59am
I stuck over $4,500 into my 1952 WD over 10 years ago and do not regret any of it......... but it was my Dad's tractor before it was mine so there's that. If you are looking for the experience of resurrecting an old gem then go for it. You may not have to do a whole lot to it just to get it running....... or it can serve as a parts tractor for you in the future if you find a better 45 to restore. 
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:24am
If you are the kind of person who thinks a day without frustration is boring then it's the tractor for you.

If you are the kind of person who has more money and time than Doan's has pills then it's the tractor for you.

All kidding aside to me it looks like a parts tractor.  My dad's WD45 was in a little better shape and it took over $5000 to get it back from the brink but it was dad's so no matter what the cost I was going to restore it.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:23am
What you people say makes a lot of sense. This is kind of what I thought, although I did like the tractor. Someone in my hometown has a WD45 on the internet for sale with new paint and new rubber for $3000. I think that's to much, but with that said, I believe you could easily spend three grand on this tractor and you may or may not get it running. I prefer to have one with the original block anyway. I may still contact the owner and see where he stands on it in case I ever need a parts tractor.

Creston - the reason I thought this tractor might have power steering was because or a cap on the governor. I wish I took a pic of it, I'm not sure what kind of fluid goes in it. And I didn't ask the owner if I could look at it, I just went. This guy owns land all over (even some that borders part of mine). I knew he didn't live there and the gate was open so I just rode my motorcycle back there. I'm not sure I'm going to tell him that if I decide to call him. I know who he is, but I don't know if he's a jerk or not lol.

Shameless dude - to answer your question, yes, the wheel is cock-eyed. That rim is completely rotted at the bottom and the tire is pushed off of it to one side.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:32am
The cap you were looking at is for engine oil.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:40am
By the time you'd get that WD up and useable you could take the same money and
buy a nice D17.I have a pretty good old WD here but I never use it because the D15,the
D19, the Olivers and about every other tractor I own are much more user friendly.I grew up on a WD45 so its not that I'm not used to them.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:31am
Get the tractor if you can. It is parts, but when you are putting one together it's nice to find a frame rail with no extra holes, or brake pedals that have better diamonds. or that special wire clip around the fuel line, or fuel line for that matter. The list goes on. Can't buy that stuff new anymore.
jonny2guns4u View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonny2guns4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:53am
I'd say first things first. Find out if it's even for sale.

Jonny2guns4u

"I won't be wronged... I won't be insulted... I won't be layed a hand on... I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." -J.B.Books (AKA)John Wayne

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:50pm
No they cant all be saved.
I bought a WD for under $200. it provided a engine and rear rims and tires for another WD, A front end for another WD, Many other small parts as mentioned were used from that parts tractor. And yes $5000 is a good number to bring a tractor back to good working and looking condition.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
wd4d5 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4d5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 8:13pm
I say get it..as cheap as possible but get it.
I have a 52 WD45 i got from my neighbor not running he gave me a sweet deal at $300 i got it home and within 2 day was using it and running good. 4 years later it's got as much pulling power as my MF65 just love it not perfect but fun and my favorite of 13. wide front someone stole the power steering hope to restore it when i retire and give it to my grandson i have a wd,wc,and a C all need a lot but run good that's fun for me. Enjoy
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:59pm
I'd see if you can get it. If you buy it for scrap value, other than time, you're not going to lose much. I'm agreeing with most of the people here- that's one nice parts tractor.

We don't know why it was parked in the first place. There may have been a severe problem that needs work, or it may have been running when parked. But, if you have space on your place, and you can get her cheap, why not? Having a complete machine as a parts donor alone is worth way more than scrap value IMO. Heck, on our Massey 124 parts baler, we've already recouped triple our investment in it. If you have the room, you can't go wrong with a parts machine
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 7:18am
Originally posted by wd4d5 wd4d5 wrote:

I say get it..as cheap as possible but get it.
I have a 52 WD45 i got from my neighbor not running he gave me a sweet deal at $300 i got it home and within 2 day was using it and running good. 4 years later it's got as much pulling power as my MF65 just love it not perfect but fun and my favorite of 13. wide front someone stole the power steering hope to restore it when i retire and give it to my grandson i have a wd,wc,and a C all need a lot but run good that's fun for me. Enjoy

Check your serial number. The WD-45 did not come out until 1953.

Dusty

Edited by Dusty MI - 22 Jul 2017 at 7:19am
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:45am
My opinion a GOOD parts Tractor if you have the room to store it. That 3K price you mentioned that you think is to high, have you priced new tires lately?? And if it has a decent paint job on it and everything works, I would take another look at that my friend. To me, that's money well spent! First, you don't have to buy tires for it for many, many years. Second, its a running, working Tractor with a new paint job. Third, if it has a good quality paint on it and was done right, there's $800. -1k for T&M.  I'd be chattin' with the owner & checkin' out that 45' for 3K myself and making an offer. If you can pick up that WD sitting in the field for $100-$200 bucks, might be worth it for the parts for the 3K unit. Just me thinkin' out loud ..... Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:53pm
I finally tracked down the owner of that WD45 a couple of weeks ago and called him. He said he doesn't want to sell the tractor. He said he always intended to fix her up some day but he's afraid he may have waited to long. It obviously has sentimental value to him. He told me a story about how he broke his arm hand cranking it as a kid. I told him he should try to fix her up and wished him luck and moved on. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

As for the $3000 WD45, I called that guy the other night as well. Come to find out, that tractor is only a mile and a half from my house. I could drive it home in ten minutes. The photos look pretty nice, but I haven't seen the tractor. I'd love to go look at it and probably love to have it, but $3000 just isn't in the budget right now for a tractor I really don't need, and I hate to waste the man's time. It is killing me however, that tractor is so close I can hear it calling my name. I drove by the house three times already to see if I can get a glimpse of it (I haven't). Here's a link to it, see what y'all think.
http://www.lsn.com/equipment/allis-chalmers-wd45/5274963.html

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic