This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

426 Build (HP?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 426 Build (HP?)
    Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 6:55am
We are looking to put together a 426 for a "farmstock"/Hotfarm tractor. It will be going in a pretty stripped down D21, and we don't have a lot of experience building AC engines for pulling. Were looking at somewhere near the 550-600hp range. The engine we have to start with is a 3500 series engine, the serial number of the engine is 3D-56227 if that helps identify what we're dealing with. I have a few questions, what all needs to be done to the engine to handle that power reliably? Will the stock bottom end hold that? And what fuel pump, injectors, and turbo would you recommend? We could get away with either a p pump or rotary that doesn't really matter, would probably stick around 3k rpm as some classes around here limit you at that. We would be pulling 10/12k pound, and a lot of 10,12mph stuff as well as some open speed limit classes. Just trying to figure out a ballpark price of where we would be with a setup like this. Any help would be appreciated to get started.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 7:22am
What turbo size is allowed by the RULES ???  "P" pump for sure if it is allowed.
Allis14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 7:39am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

What turbo size is allowed by the RULES ???  "P" pump for sure if it is allowed.
Due to all the "local" pulls not really having a defined set of rules for everywhere, that's where we kind of are at a crossroads as far as what to do. I would say for safe measures somewhere around 2.5/2.6, just so hopefully we don't run into problems.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:13am
Who will be your best competitor?? and how strong are they??   Where I come from "Hot farm" is 900 to 1,000 HP and all the IH's run road gear.
Allis14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:34am

The couple of guys we know well enough for them to tell us any info are around 600-700hp. Like I said that's the issue we aren't really pulling sanctioned stuff just local pulls where the rules could differ a little from pull to pull. The guy we know is pretty competitive with that group of guys, I figured Hot farm would throw some people off with the HP numbers we want but I also don't consider 6 or 700hp farm stock LOL

NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:16am
  The bottom end can handle 800 plus horse. Does your block have the piston cooling jets, if not get the drilled rods should use them anyway, beefier. The cam needs work on the exhaust side, lift and duration much less then intake. What are you doing withe the head, thats the kicker. I hit 247 cfm on ex with out too much work, but the intake ports are a nightmare.  Can barely beat the ex flow and I hit the water jacket  in 5 different spots.
  Consider decompressing also. Exhaust manifold needs porting ans should have dividing plate in it.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic