This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H4 won't move

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:12pm
On my HD4 I lost reverse - when taking the shuttle valve apart - one of the springs was broken - not allowing the proper movement of the internal valve to line up with the proper port - I matched up a spring in my junk spring collection - trimmed it to size with a grinder and had it back in service on the job in about 2 hours . 
 That small slide valve needs to be centered over right ports to apply hyd pressure to clutch pack .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:13pm
Any springs broke in the valve ? there are plugs on the front of the shuttle valve that is operated by the lever, the plugs can be removed one at a time and insert a pressure gauge to see what is being transmitted from the pump at 1500 rpms.
Monte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:04pm
The springs looked fine.what pressure should I be looking for? I really think something, somewhere is stopped up. The shuttle shift valve is getting warm within 2minutes of running. First thing in the morning, I'm going to let it warm up and follow the hot lines until, hopefully I find a cool spot and that should be my blockage. I just hope it's somewhere outside of the transmission.hopefully it's a collapsed hose.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:30am
there is a filter in that system - also I believe a suction screen - don't have the circuit picture and memory is a little foggy on full routing - believe the filter was to front of machine (steel lines) 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Monte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:36am
Yes. I have a new on waiting on me at the parts store this morning. I cleaned the old one yesterday. I haven't checked the screen yet. This maybe the problem.Its located on the left side of the transmission under the machine...... I think. I'm not looking forward to checking it. I pressure washed the dozer and it's a muddy mess under there.lol
Monte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:16am
It was pretty dark in the shed it was parked in and I didn't notice it has a prolonged parked mark on the dipstick. I wonder if it's possible that it's low enough to show full on the cold mark when running because it isn't priming the converter..... I hope I worded this so everyone can understand what I'm thinking. I'm going to wait 6hours and check it and see if it is full.
Monte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:17am
It says 6hours min.
Monte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:28pm
It only shows to be a quart low.so, the pump is definitely putting it somewhere as soon as you crank it, because the fluid drops probably 3inches on the stick immediately. I'm back to a blockage.... . I hope....
Monte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:32pm
If the converter was bad, how could I tell?
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 1:48pm
Did you ever find your problem
Monte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 1:54pm
No sir
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Torque converter level is checked with engine running -  as this drives the pump for the clutch pack which is controlled by that selector lever on left .
 Unless clutch pack is working there will be no drive force to transmission .

From that description, I'm thinking it works like an automatic transmission in a car. Are there places on the transmission to attach a pressure gauge?
On a non-working automatic transmission, one of the diagnostic steps is to put a pressure gauge at specific test points. Typical automobile transmission that I work on has 4 test ports.
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic