This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Detent Spring upgrade for 5015 gearshift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detent Spring upgrade for 5015 gearshift
    Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:41pm
My 5015 has had a difficult life prior to my picking it up.  So far  rebuilt the starter, replaced the alternator, reconnected a lot of wiring, etc.   
But it runs and mows over ground that the newer machines would blush at.

The one thing that was giving me fits was that it would occasionally jump out of gear usually headed downhill into the pond!

Somewhere on the forum I found mention of increasing the detent spring pressure with stronger springs.  Sounds too easy, was my first thought, but I got out my caliper, and measured the springs that were under the two capscrews  right behind the gearshift.

The closest I could find for size and greater strength were these from Mcmaster Carr.  Today I put in the new ones and there is no more loose feeling in the gear shift!   The shifter moves fine, but when engaged it takes a good tug to get it out, and the first trials have been successful.  

The Mcmaster Carr number is 9595K35 which is a .375" by 1" die spring.  They are hard to compress when installing.  I had to grind off about a millimeter on one of them to get the compression capscrew started, but seem to work well.

Edited by Reindeer - 07 Jun 2017 at 4:25pm

Sponsored Links

Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 8:02pm
Have used the tractor several times in different situations and no further issue with gear jumping.  Beer

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic