This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIPPERSTICK CYLINDER FOR 615 KEEPS BLOWING TOP OFF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dezeldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIPPERSTICK CYLINDER FOR 615 KEEPS BLOWING TOP OFF
    Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:00am
HELLO ALL,
   I HAVE A 615 BACKHOE THAT STARTED BLOWING THE TOP OFF THE DIPPERSTICK CYLINDER, I IMAGINE THE THREADS ON THE INSIDE OF THE CAP HAVE GOTTEN PRETTY THIN AFTER THE 4TH TIME IN A WEEK. ANYBODY HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR A REPAIR, OR DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN OLD 615 THEY ARE PARTING OUT?
ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED, THANK YOU.
Sponsored Links

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 4:56pm
You will likely need to replace the cylinder. For a good repair take the complete cylinder to a hydraulic repair shop. I have had cylinders rebuilt for about $700 If you are trying to get by put it back together and tack weld it knowing that when anything else happens your cylinder is junk.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:30pm
Also check the system relief valve, to make sure it isn't stuck shut...
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 9:20am
The cast ring that holds the gland has worn along with the threads on the steel barrel . For a quick repair to finish a job - I ground about 1/4" off the barrel this allowed the cast ring to grab new threads - Still working and further repair not needed yet.
 My next fix was going to be a plate over the ring with hole for shaft - then threaded rod back to clamp around barrel - kind of like tire rods .
 As that outside ring only retains the packing gland and seals it does not function to do anything but hold that gland - A couple spot welds of say 1/4 bead  a couple places can help also if rest of areas are good .

The cylinders used on AC 715 hoe are the same size and lengths but the 715 uses a smaller rod diameter on those cylinders . In fact i have one cylinder from my 615 on the 715 now 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 07 Jun 2017 at 9:23am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 12:00am
Coke I had the same problem as you with the cylinder so I capped it and welded a piece of small pipe to the barrel and drilled and tapped the plate over the end. If it starts weeping just snug the bolts a little. When I welded the small pipes to the barrel it did shrink the barrel a bit at the weld so had to work that out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic