This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 6V Pertronix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD 6V Pertronix
    Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 6:37pm
This is for Gerald J, but may help others or others may have ideas.  I have a 1952 AC WD in mostly original condition, but  40 years ago had M&W Power Pistons installed on overhaul, which makes it harder to crank.  Has original pos. gnd 6V, coil, generator, starter, lights, and cutout on generator, I would like to keep it that way, (no 12V please!!!), except for a Pertronix ignition installed about 10 years ago.  When above 40F and battery 75% or more draws about 300 amps, always starts on first or 2nd compression stroke.  When cold(<30F) or battery less than 50% (Often low with 6V gen. and cutout!) the engine cranks very slowly at the top of compression and draws lots of current, nearly 500 amps at top. (below 30 F, crank by hand,starts well).  This means that the voltage measured on the battery terminals drops to about 3.3 volts and about 3.1 volts at the starter during top of compression, and will not start, no spark.  The original (Sprague, Microswitch) Hall sensors used in the Pertronix module at that time were specified at 4 or 4.5 volts, minimum! What is needed is a sort of DC transformer, a "buck/boost supply" to output a constant 3.2 amps at 5 or 6 volts to the Pertronix and coil.  I have found this: http://www.linear.com/solutions/7790 but cost $225! I am not willing to spend that much when I am not sure that it will withstand the electrical environment of a tractor ignition(load dump, high voltage transients, undervoltage, etc).  I do not have the skills or equipt. to build one. 
I wish that I could get Pertronix to redesign their 6V Ignitor using the later Hall sensors which work down to 2.5V (Digikey.com search Allegro) I have tried to contact them to talk to the engineer or a knowledgeable person there, but have not been able to find anyone there who knows what I am talking about(perhaps they have all been outsourced to China). Even their web site was down last week. Is anyone running a 6V Pertronix Pos. gnd WD or 45 successfully?  Any ideas, Gerald????

Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:44pm
We sell a boat load of the Pertronix E.I's. I have a unit in my 6V B going on 18 years old. Haven't touched it. Starts right up in the Winter mainly because I have a Battery tender on the Battery in the basement to keep it active and charged. When I need the Tractor, I toss the Battery in it. Don't need any of those silly things you mentioned. With a fully charged warm Battery, I never had any problems. She always fires right up. Leave the Battery out in the cold and that will give you problems! Bring it in a warm area and keep it charged, and you won't have any troubles... HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 9:01am
you might want to get your starter rebuilt. not just brushes and bushings. if its drawing a good battery with good clean large cables down. I use 00 and a flat braid ground.  its drawing to many amps.
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 11:16am
If starter and cables are good, maybe an 8V battery will be the ticket.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 11:47am
8v Will probably blow that pertronix.  I have sold them for 15 years, not as long as Steve.  I do not sell the 6v units because the window of operating voltage is too narrow. I understand what the original poster is getting at, but my capabilities there just don't exist.
I would certainly make sure cables are adequate, and use a battery tender if at all possible.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 2:19pm
This makes me think.... dangerous I know.   I have a 56 Ford 960 that has always given me fits with the points, condenser, dust cover and cap (just due to the way they are made). Does pertronix make a 12v neg ground kit for those?
Thanks
Adam
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 2:45pm
Im sure they do.  Would have to look up distributor number

Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
BigGuy1000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:19pm
Steve:  Your suggestion is not practical here.  WD sits in shed with no utility power near, 100 ft from  warm house.  This tractor is very valuable to us, as it is the only  tractor we can start(hand crank) below 0F when the utility fails, no heat then for other tractors!!!  AND, I am not about to unbolt and pry off battery terminals using frozen tools and with freezing hands, then carry heavy battery to and from basement! B starts lots easier than M&W WD!
Dakota Dave:  Starter has been rebuilt 2 or 3 times, it wears rapidly on heavy current.  Not drawing too many amps, when good temp and battery, about 300-350 amps.  Cold weather average current is a little over 400 A, only near 500 at near top of compression.  Has at least OO cable and flat braid ground.  
JimD: You have found out the same thing and said it in a different way, without numbers, that the window is too small!  Interesting too that no one has said that they are running a similar 6V pos gnd Pertronix WD or 45 successfully!!!  Steve and Jim,  perhaps the dealers have more leverage at Pertronix than I do, please complain to them, maybe if we all get together we can get them to redesign!!!
Gerald??

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:02pm
Optima use to make a 6 volt AGM battery. I don't know if they still do or not. With AGM the battery internal resistance is lower and the battery voltage should hold better. That's about all I can think of other than using a booster battery when it's very cold.
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:56pm
You might be able to fit another battery how ever small to operate the ignition only while cranking and cold. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the setups used in RV's that leave one battery isolated to fire the engine and the rest that get charged to power the RV  lights etc. Or maybe  a rechargeable battery off a cordless tool that runs the ignition only while you crank it and it is cold. Four or five D cell batteries and a diode in the circuit might be a possibility. I have the same set up on my WD minus the high comp pistons and I think its a shame you cant get a spark out of the pertronix when its cold. Mine can be hand started in cold weather with the crank  a lot of the time, but still that's a shame it won't work in the cold. We have used it daily to unload feed from an auger wagon so starting everyday is good. On  another tractor that is 12V neg ground with pertronix cold weather is no problem. I will tell you I was warned before I bought it but I guess I just had to see it to believe it about the 6 V pos ground not sparking in the cold start situation. rw
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:53pm
Put a WD45 Diesel battery box and two 6 volt batteries with 00-cables in her and she will start like it 70* outside! LOL
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

Put a WD45 Diesel battery box and two 6 volt batteries with 00-cables in her and she will start like it 70* outside! LOL

This. A battery with 500 CCA is supposed to deliver 500 amps at 10.9 volts at 0 degrees F for one minute. It's not uncommon to find a battery to be overrated. This also assumes the battery is fully charged. Gimpy cables will not allow the full current to be delivered with minimal voltage loss. Fat cables with good clean tight connections and a battery with low internal resistance is what you need. Two batteries in parallel have half the internal resistance of one battery.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:46pm
Here's a potential economical solution for you. I have used simialr units from BG to drive 12V LEDS from 2 D cells.....

https://www.banggood.com/DC-DC-Boost-Buck-Adjustable-Step-Up-Step-Down-Automatic-Converter-XL6009-Module-p-1087346.html?rmmds=search

It'd also be good for running 12V LEDS on a 6V 'G'......

If the link doesn't work, just go to Banggoods website enter 'xl6009' in the search box.

I can't buy the parts for double what they sell complete modules for !

There may be a better unit, search for 'boost-buck convertor'. I tend to get 'lost' on the site...150,000 items is a lot of stuff to look at !!
Please don't blame me when you order 1,000 of $$ of stuff ! Friend is getting 2-3 packages a week as the deals are really,really good.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:44pm
Bear in mind that before you get ideas of direct feeding the ignition with a second power source you need to consider backfeeding issues. Feeding the Pertronix with a higher voltage than what the main battery is providing will probably cause current flow through the ignition wire, going back to the main battery. Using a stiff enough power source may overheat the igntion wire.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:22am
Two small power diodes will prevent 'backfeeding' issues yet allow the EI unit to get solid power. If using a second battery , an on-off switch inline will be needed and a fuse is a good idea.
If using a buck-boost module nothing else is needed. 6v feed from ign switch goes to it, it then feeds the EI unit.

Jay

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:36am
Diodes, at the expense of another.6 volt drop each, are beginning to really complicate it. I still say batteries with good cables and connections is the most straightforward way to fix this. I've never believed in using a crutch instead of a solid fix.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:02am
I think there's a need for a solar powered battery rechager/maintainer at the tractor shed. Since there's no AC power(cept the WD...), solar would be a viable option to ensure the battery is at it's best. You'll have to find a '6 Volt' solar setup though as most common is 12 volt systems. Something capable of 2-4 amps would be nice.
If you used Schottky diodes instead of silicon the Vdrop is only .2 volts. Really 'nothing' in the overall scheme of things.
The major problem with 6 volt batteries is maintenance. Super clean contacts,proper electroyte level, fat cables... all those things we tend to forget to look at since 12 volt is so forgiving...

Jay

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:14pm
You need to look into this 8V thing. Take your gen. to a good rebuild shop and have them set it up to 8V. The 8V battery may even fit your battery box, and it will turn your engine. Then I'd pitch the Petronix (even though I like'em) and go back to the aggravation of the points and condenser. Get them from Steve. This gets you as close as possible to original and just might eliminate the aura that seems to be hanging around your tractor.  LOL
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 9:07pm
If you don't skimp on the size of starter cables and regular cleaning of connections, the original 6 volt system will work adequately. I am sure the 6 volt pertronix won't survive 8 volt system, and if there are any lamps they will have severely shortened lives. The increased current in the points and coil will shorten their lives too.

8 volts is a cobble to allow skinnier starter cables and more neglect of cleaning battery posts and connectors. Its not original, hasn't ever been original.

Gerald J.

Edited by Gerald J. - 23 Jun 2017 at 9:28am
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:11am
Not practical? My B sits outside under a tarp. That doesn't have any power around it either. Also, my B has oversize pistons in it also when I did it 18 years ago. I don't like messin' with cold tools and being in the cold either. Matter of fact, I'd rather be inside than out in the cold! That's why I bring the Battery in come the Fall and put it on the tender. I don't mess with it in the cold. Gettin' to old for that crap. But, when I need the Tractor, I toss the Battery in it, and away I go....  Thumbs Up

I wouldn't go with the 8V thing either. 8V Batteries are pia to charge, the Pertronix module won't like it, and they're just not worth the aggrivation. I would keep it 6V or if yer' gonna change things, move to 12V. Your call there. As Gerald mentioned, heavy cables, clean connections (including the chassis ground)  all aid the 6V system in helping to keep it healthy. Keeping the 6V Battery on a tender keeps the Battery healthy also. Even in the summer months. When the Battery is active, the longevity stays with it. HTH
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:39am
If you don't want to go to 12 volt then change over to a mag?
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:04am
Napa sells a 6 volt jump box for $75.
Probably find them on amazon also.
My son uses their 12 volt one about same physical size for street bikes, cranks a 1000cc
triumph with no problem. worked on 7.3 ford also.
If everything is clean and good working order this may help. 
Tramway Guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tramway Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:30am
Check the ground path from the battery to the starter. Doesn't take much corrosion to increase resistance and cause a severe voltage drop under load.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:47am
Since the thread is developing into a Rube Golberg thing, why not mount a solar panel on a fence post outside the shed? Easy to find 12 volt charge controllers - I've used several. Finding a 6 volt job might be doable.

I snark. The best fix if you're going to stick with 6 volts is a good battery, hefty cables and clean tight connections. One or more of these isn't right if you aren't getting at least 5 volts to the Pertronix.

ETA: What is the length of the battery box? Summit racing has the Optima 6V AGM for $134.00. It has 800 CCA. There is a Lifeline, which I know to be an excellent battery for, hold your breath, $300. Each needs 10 inches lengthwise of battery box.

Edited by DougS - 23 Jun 2017 at 7:29pm
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 10:38pm
Years ago we had a piece of equipment we used an 8V batt. in and it was no problem. But it's your call. I also prefer the big cables. I have the same problem as you do on a WD45 so I made my own cables out of eighteen wheeler cables which are huge. Guess what, still got the same problem. Tried four different starters, no go. A long time ago I had a 6V Chey. pickup that didn't turn over good. The coil went bad and with a new coil it would turn right over. Guess I'll be heading that direction.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 10:53pm
If the timing of the ignition is stuck advanced the starter will barely crank the engine because each firing opposes the starter.

Gerald J.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 12:30pm
I believed I've already checked that, but I will make sure. Thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 12:50pm
Dad had a 53 WD with M&W's, and it too had to have an 8 volt battery to get it to start. First thing I'd be doing is having the starter freshened up by a good rebuilder AND MAKE SURE IT HAS A CENTER BEARING on the armature. Many WD starters did not and all WD-45's were supposed to. After 60 years of starter swapping, who knows what is on it now. A fresh starter with THREE bearings and then BIG battery cables and a good/big 6 volt battery or like Don said two 6 volt batteries in parallel and you should be fixed.  By the way, a WD with M&W's still was no match for a stock WD-45 when it comes to power.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 12:59pm
Keeping the battery fully charged is essental too. With the old 6 volt cutout system you never knew when the battery was charged unless you used a hydrometer or put the battery on a charger.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic