This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

garden tractor tiller...which one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: garden tractor tiller...which one?
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:40am
we have all but given up planting large plots of crops and now have a 1/2 acre garden and we till up a few of the older and disabled neighbors gardens, but I recently sold my 5020 and the d14 is a bit fast for tilling, although I have managed with it.

I contemplating selling the 3pt tiller (4ft) and getting a Allis or Bolens garden tractor with a tiller.  while I've found several garden tractors most don't have a tiller.  so which models are attachments and parts easiest to find. after searching for parts for the 5020 I'd rather not have to search every barn in the country to find a bearing....lol

I used to have a Bolens 1050 with a tiller and it was great, had a locking differential  and hi/low gears.  I have not been around the Allis's much, but am an Allis man and would kinda like to stay that way.Smile
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:58pm
My 720 and 4 ft rear tiller do a great job. I have recently seen several on here for sell. If you find a good pair you wil be happy. Very well built and so far no issues finding parts, but then it again I haven't had any breakdowns. Like anything AC, parts are getting harder to find. But this combo was made in the good ole USA!
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:41pm
I have a 917h and a tiller for it. Not for sale.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:30am
how are the hydro-static drives in them? I've always ran gear drives.  I found a b110 with tiller, but it needs carb (comes with one) and a gas tank, not a surprise on a old machine he wants $500? Tilling is done for the year, so a small project wouldn't be bad, but I'd rather notSmile.  thanks for the responses.
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 5:42am
The hydro's work much better much better control on ground speed. Nothing wrong with the B110 though I own 3 of them. Just my $.02
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:06am
the neighbor has a b110 I think that he uses to till, I helped him get it running when it wouldn't start. rust in the tank.  I could kick myself, a friend had 1 good running b110 and a couple for parts, he had the tiller, several mowers, cultivators, sickle bar, etc. he sold them all for a couple hundred bucks. but back then I was still planting large plots and what the heck was I gonna do with a garden tractor....AngryAngry

ok, done with the ranting, lol.  I thought 500 was a bit much, the same fella has a 210 but with a plow.  I noticed on tractor data it had a "variable shift" trans.  what the heck is that?  Yea, I know I sound like an idiot, but again, only had large Allis's.  thanks again, dt
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:48am
Originally posted by ac720nut ac720nut wrote:

The hydro's work much better much better control on ground speed. Nothing wrong with the B110 though I own 3 of them. Just my $.02

Speaking of ground speed.
I have an Allis 917h, not sure what year but about '85. I just bought a Similicity 17GHT-L, which looks just like the 917. The ground speed on the 917 is faster than the 17GHT-L. I was looking and the slot the the hydro lever rides/slides in is longer on the 917.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 2:00pm
I have a B - 12 with a bigger pulley on the transmission that work great tilling the garden.
Tom
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:39pm
The B-110 with the standard sized trans pulley will be a little to fast for good tilling. I went from that to using a 710 6-speed, and now use hydros. The B-110 can till fine as tadams said, if you install the larger pulley on the trans. It was an option for low speed for tilling.
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:43am
Originally posted by ACmowerguy ACmowerguy wrote:

The B-110 with the standard sized trans pulley will be a little to fast for good tilling. I went from that to using a 710 6-speed, and now use hydros. The B-110 can till fine as tadams said, if you install the larger pulley on the trans. It was an option for low speed for tilling.

awsome, very helpful.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:54am
Have to agree a D-14 is just a tad too fast for tilling. I've got a 5ft on mine and have to 'play' with the big stick in the wife's 1/2 acre veggie plot. What seemed to help is going E-W then turn around and go W-E in the same row.
I've got a B-112 sitting here and with 21 speeds ONE of them has to be purrfect for a tiller,but alsa no tiller.
I do have a ford LGT125 with 36" tiller,manual lift...ugh..you get a strong right arm with that !
If you can find a GT with hydro lift, like my B112 or electric get it !
The problem I have is implement attachment. Arrgh... 3 point plow and cultivator( greta for the Sears St/Suburban,  sleeve hitch on the Ford  nd then the 'what were they thinking' on the B112. I'd like to find/make a 3pt  for it..one day....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:09am
I prefer a gear drive over hydro for tilling any day of the week.  It's nice to set it and forget it, when you dial things in.  All hydro's I have used, including the gardent ractors, Powermax zeries and even the Legacy's, each require the operator to stay on top of the hydro control to adjust ground speed as the tiller pushes agains the machine.  A hydro will lurch or speed up a bit, as the tiller finds tougher stuff to chew through, whereas the gear drives tend to hold themselves back.

However, the hydro is nicer for everything else, and since I no longer have any gardens with long stretches to till, I use the hydro to simply get things done quick.  If you are tilling a half acre, I suppose it depends on how much you want to invest.  I would prefer something in the 4' range, but the Simplicity 36" tillers are very tough to beat, are plentiful, fit most Simplicity and Allis garden tractors from '59-2000 and are inexpensive and easy to repair.

If you wanted an older AC garden tractor, say mid 60's through mid 70's, and a 36" tiller, you should be able to find something maintenance free for $400-ish.  Add another $100-200 if you want power lift.  Better deals are out there, and there is always a bounty of overpriced options.

Peeking at my local craigslist here, thereis a beautiful original Allis, with Simplicity tiller and a bunch of other stuff for $750.  This is a well above average condition package, with $350 worth of stuff you wouldn't need (so I see $400 for a great machine and like new tiller)

Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:31am
wow, I don't think the tiller was ever used.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:57pm
well the decision is made, I bought a 7016 new front tires/tubes, deck, tiller and dozer blade, tire chains for $600. 
digger337 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digger337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 12:58pm
Hi, I used to be a dealer.The variable speed was a popular machine, it had a regular 3 sp transmission with a tapered drive pulley similar to a centrifugal clutch but you control the final tractor ground speed with the variable lever.It still had a declutching pedal like a straight gear box setup and was somewhat difficult to shift because of the huge rotating pulleys involved. If you're an impatient person ,gear grinding will acure.Ive modified my'n with a small brake pad of a 600 series(my own design ) and has vastly decreased shifting wait time.
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:17am
Originally posted by dt1050 dt1050 wrote:

well the decision is made, I bought a 7016 new front tires/tubes, deck, tiller and dozer blade, tire chains for $600. 

Excellent choice!  The 16 horse single is about as good as they get.  Nice price, and you have a package you can use all 4 seasons.  Pictures?
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 2:01pm
Tainted; you mentioned pictures.  How about pictures of your fleet? Herb(GA)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic