This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first Allis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichH86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first Allis
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:21pm
Hello all. I just bought an Allis 7020 as mt first large tractor I can say is mine. I have a Massey 65 i square bale with but needed something to swath and round bale with. It is also the first Allis on the farm other than an old B. I had never even seen one let alone ran one. Growing up green some things will take some getting used to but I like this thing. It is an 81 with 7500hrs. Engine overhaul around 1000ish hrs ago. I feel I paid a little much for it but some people have been telling me I did ok. Buy then again. It is looking like I will be needing to go through the PS trans at some point. It slips in reverse till the tractor moves like 5 feet and then it's all the way engaged. (Bought at auctiom out of state and did not know this till i got her home) High is worse than low. All forwards are great. Hoping it will make the season at least to fund her own repairs. But then I will have a pretty much new tractor for the price of a shot green one of comparable age and size. All in all I am really liking it and proud to own it. Pics are too large to upload right now.
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:39pm
You will love the power shift. My 7045 slips in 3rd high until the engine rpm's come up. It has been this way for 18 years. Best of luck with it. 
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:04pm
If you're used to Deere, you will fall in love at the maintenance on an Allis. They're so much easier to work on
RichH86 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichH86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:11pm
Well that gives me hope she will work long enough to save up to fix her. Or maybe even longer. And yes what maintenence I have done has been a breeze. Love how the entire side sheet comes off and gives you room to get at things. The swinging battery tray is nice to. Just the controls and the funky clutch brake I have to get used to. I am so used to bottoming out the clutch and trying to learn the sweet spot between engine disengagement and eating the windsheild.
RichH86 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichH86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:14pm
And the power shift is much smoother than the 8spd JDS we have around. Almost as smooth as the newer JD PSs we have with 15 or 16 gears. She fires right up and seems to run healthy.
WD45Diesel57 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:33pm
Good choice on tractor, I aswell own a 1978 7020 with 12 speed power shift, took me a few hours of operating to find the sweet spot, mine travels easy till it gets down and alittle more resistance when engaging clutch brake! You don't want to be moving too fast when you apply the tranny brake its hard on the internal parts, best to be not moving at all! With proper maintenance you will have a good reliable machine.
1-B's, 2-C, 2-CA's,2-WF, 1-WC,1-G, 3-WD's, 2-WD45, 1-RC, 1-D17 Diesel, 1-D14, 2-D15,1-D17 row crop,1-D19 gas and All Crop 40,60,66,72,90 and 100
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:17am
I've never run an Allis 7000 series. But, working on our Gleaner, I think you'll like it when it comes time to fix something. Easiest starter replacement ever.

I really think you'll love her, though. I've never met a man who didn't like one.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:31am
I spent three years in dad's 7045 PS. What a great machine. Sure wish I had sense enough to have bought it from dad when he quit farming but I was too young and stupid at the time. Have regretted it ever since. Good luck with your new Allis!!
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 4:57pm
Your problem is in A2 & C1 clutch packs. When you repair it, replace all the drive plates in A2 & C1 clutches. Pricey, but only thing that will fix it. Won't hurt any thing to use it.      MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic