This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Ca

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathshadowX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Ca
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 2:19pm
Hello i have a Allis Chalmers Ca and was wondering what should be run in the tranmission / hydro's on the CA i have heard various things. someone told me some of these older tractors run motor oil in the cylinders others told me hi trans. Which is it suppose to actualy take? 
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 2:29pm
I used straight 30 in the engine, every other hole got that 'multipurpose' oil (TGH ??) sold at WallyWorld. It makes simple when you got a lot of orange....
all seem happy with it.
common sense says any oil is better than none, and after 40-50-60 years, YOU can't hurt the CA.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DeathshadowX View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathshadowX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:06pm
just straight 30 weight motor oil?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:12pm
I use just straight 30 in my engine, but I just put universal trans/hydraulic fluid in the back. (The 8N gets its own "special" fluid only for Ford N-Series tractors) 
I wouldn't put just straight 30 in the back. That seems pretty light. 
If Bill Long sees this, he'll probably tell you what they put in them when new. I know he's told us before, but I forget what. 
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:54pm
Trans hydraulic oil.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:07pm
Any good hytran that meets the Allis chalmers power fluid 821 spec
RMD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 12:45pm
The original specification for the CA trans/hydraulics fluid was 20 weight non-detergent motor oil. Modern multi-purpose trans/hydraulic fluid works fine.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:18pm
If using straight wieght motor oil you must use non detergent regular detergent motor oil will foam when used in hydraulics. Universial high trans oil is superior to straight wieght motor oil in every way. I also put multi wieght motor oil in my engine. It is far superior to straight wieght non detergent oil that was originally used in the engine.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 10:35am
Creston,  You are right.  I cannot help myself.  
When new we used 20 Non Detergent oil in the engine and the transmission hydrallic system.  Worked well.
That said I have heard outstanding reports on the hytran that has been mentined above. 
If the engine has some age on it I would suggest straight non-detergent 20 or 30 oil.
Reading all the comments above it is interesting how the "state of the art" in oils has progressed.  I cannot disagree with their recomendations.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 4:10pm
In my opinion straight weight non detergent oil in an engine is abusing that engine. Before detergent oils engines filled with sludge in a short time. And bearings wore rapidly. Car engines before detergent oil needed a rebuild every 25,000 or 30,000 miles. Engines with detergent oils needed rebuilding every 100,000 miles. Today engines with multigrade detergent oils run over 200,000 miles.

Besides the detergents that keep sludge from plugging the crankcase and the oil lines there are additives that keep the copper and silver bearing inserts from making batteries with the steel crankshaft and getting the bearing metals eaten away by that shorted battery and moisture corrosion.

Gerald J.
DeathshadowX View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathshadowX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:47am
Ya not asking what to run in the engine just the trans and hydraulic system on it lol.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:46am
Originally posted by DeathshadowX DeathshadowX wrote:

Ya not asking what to run in the engine just the trans and hydraulic system on it lol.

Hydraulic/wet brake fluid...know as hy-tran generically..Not just a hyd fluid....
Rayhowling View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayhowling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:18am
In my 1955 CA that my Dad bought new has been run on multi-grade in the engine. I rebuilt the transmission, final drives about 15 years ago, mainly seals and bearings. I run good quality Hydraulic oil in the transmission  and rear final drives.  This tractor did a lot of work the first 25 years of its life. I learned to drive it, my son learned to drive it and my 11 year grandson, it was also the first tractor he learned to drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic