This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need input on new square baling/raking tractor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need input on new square baling/raking tractor
    Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:10pm
Hey everyone. Looking for some input from guys who have been around the block! Looking to get a different tractor to use on the New Holland 269 baler and the rake. Have a 190xt I use on the round baler and love it. Now looking for something around the 50-60 horse range. I grew up on Farmall and liked them so I was leaning towards something like a 460-560. Neighbor has a 400 he was willing to sell so I went to look at it and while I was there he tried selling me on a case 800 with a case o'matic. I've never been around one but after driving it a bit kinda liked it. I like sitting up higher for visibility is the reason I haven't looked at another Allis ( unfortunately​). Anyone have any input on either of these or maybe a better choice. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

Don (Utah) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don (Utah) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:20pm
D17 is the best!!
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:03pm
I had a Case O Matic once it wasn't for me guess they take some getting used to.I've been
using the D15 to square bale works pretty good,also the Oliver 1550 gas with high/low giving it 12 speeds is a good tractor with the square baler.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:09pm
D17 is a good choice, but a 170/175 diesel feels more nimble and the Perkins engine is hard to beat. I'd stay away from any gas tractor for economy....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Eldon (WA) Eldon (WA) wrote:

D17 is a good choice, but a 170/175 diesel feels more nimble and the Perkins engine is hard to beat. I'd stay away from any gas tractor for economy....

Economy with a gas tractor is the difference between the cost of it and a diesel and the prices on them.If the gasser is several thousand less than a diesel on a lightly used tractor
a few hrs a year then it'd be a long time before the diesel caught up to it price wise.
Also diesels run cheaper but the repair bills are a whole lot more when they need work.
gerkendave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:22pm
I've been leaning towards gas. We won't be doing any more than a couple hundred squares a year and thought a gas tractor would be nice to have in the winter. Would eventually like to put a loader on whatever we go with to help feed rounds and move snow if needed. I'm not opposed to looking at a 17 but around here it's hard to find much in the shape of an Allis and we are trying to keep it at 3 thousand or less if possible. Also not to keen on straddling the transmission honestly.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:25pm
The first machine I ever operated, was a D17, and Grandpa put me at the controls to rake hay. After that, we used it to bale hay.

He told me once that the D17 was 'the best' hay-baling tractor ever made. It wasn't until I operated other tractors, that I understood what he meant, but after having done so, I'll have to agree with him on it. My mother raked and baled with his WD-45, WD, and WC tractors from her early teenage through college years, and her brothers and sisters did too (youngest brother still works the family farm).

I don't farm, but I use my D17 for all sorts of things, and if I were to need to hook up a baler or rake, the D17 would be the first choice.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 12:09am
Correct me if I'm wrong…but the Case has fewer gears and is harder to shift than an Allis D17 or 175. The Allis high low shift is very handy baling. As is being able to hold it in neutral (on the hand clutch) if there is a lump or if you're re-baling a broken bale.

Edited by Ron(AB) - 23 Apr 2017 at 12:11am
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:50am
Dads 830 Case O Matic had a 4 speed with a high low and a converter lock. 16 speeds. Fun tractor but there are zero converter parts left in the world. 20 years ago when dad had to redo his he got the last of several of the converter parts. I’d go for a 170 or 175. D17 is what I use on the baler, but I think a 170 or 175 sits you a little higher.
AaronSEIA
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:01am
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll keep searching. Anybody ever been able to buy a decent 170/175 for 3k is the next question.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:06am
Also while I'm at it just to widen my search a bit, if I were to look at d17's was there a certain series that got better hydraulics or a series that had better p.s. for loader work? Anything to look out for etc. Would all help me. Only been around a couple d14's while I was younger but never got to operate them.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:14am
I think you going to have a hard time finding a 170/175 for that money. But around here you can find a D17. Probably won't be a series IV but would still work fine for what you are doing. We have both a 175 diesel and D17 IV. They both have their place but I prefer the 17. Another thing to think about is the wiring on a 175 is kind of funky and is problematic. D17 is very simple. But I don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck.
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:16am
If you want better hydralics, you have two options.  The Series IV was the best from the factory, but those tractors demand a premium price, still cheaper than a 170 175 in most cases apples to apples when talking condition.

The other option would be to put a front mounted pump on, and build the better hydraulics, which depending on your abilities in the shop and availability of tools/equipment to do the job, may cost you just as much as spending up on the Series IV.

In my opinion there is no change in Power Directors on any of the D17 series, and even into the 170 175s.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:17am
Thanks wekracer. Anybody know how the hydraulics were on the d17's? Like I said I'd eventually like a loader on it and I know they use to run a high pressure low volume system which didn't ever work well with most hyd cylinders.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:17am
We were typing at the same time. D17 series IV will have live full flow hydraulics. There were some other changes but that's the main thing to know. Around here they bring $1000 more than the other series.

Edited by wekracer - 23 Apr 2017 at 7:18am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:18am
Thanks orange blood! Must have been typing at the same time.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:38am
Originally posted by gerkendave gerkendave wrote:

I've been leaning towards gas. We won't be doing any more than a couple hundred squares a year and thought a gas tractor would be nice to have in the winter. Would eventually like to put a loader on whatever we go with to help feed rounds and move snow if needed. I'm not opposed to looking at a 17 but around here it's hard to find much in the shape of an Allis and we are trying to keep it at 3 thousand or less if possible. Also not to keen on straddling the transmission honestly.
Just FYI with a 170/175 you'll still be straddlin' the tranny.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 11:09am
I saw someone mention an Oliver 1555. That brings me to a general point: The Allis tractors I've seen have a far lower engine RPM speed to run the PTO than an Oliver. On our White, IIRC the PTO speed is 2200 RPM. I like Oliver-White tractors, but for this, I think you'd be using more fuel to bale.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 12:56pm
Thanks matador. And allisfreak I thought that's the way they were. The flat platform didn't come until the 190's correct?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by matador matador wrote:

I saw someone mention an Oliver 1555. That brings me to a general point: The Allis tractors I've seen have a far lower engine RPM speed to run the PTO than an Oliver. On our White, IIRC the PTO speed is 2200 RPM. I like Oliver-White tractors, but for this, I think you'd be using more fuel to bale.

My 1550 isn't any harder on gas than a D17.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:06pm
Although I really do like the Oliver's and would consider them. My wife on the other hand has a no green policy. A strict one at that lol!
hillmonkey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 11:30pm
How bout a gas 180. platform height  is in between a 175 and a 190.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:02am
Problem I seem to be having is hitting my budget I set once we get into the hundred series tractors.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:20am
We used a WD and it worked just fine. Sure, a tractor with more gears would have an optimum speed for varying conditions, but you can ride the hand clutch when necessary. Unless you are custom baling a large amount of hay there's no need to spend well into the middle of four figures for a tractor.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:49am
If your budget is that tight, why don't you just use your 190? Maybe save a few bucks for a few years and get something additional.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:52am
I don't mind using the 190 on the square baler but it's honestly a little big to be using on the rake in my opinion. Not to mention there has been more than once now while I'm baling we are racing rain and switching back and forth between balers to fill orders for squares vs rounds gets old fast.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:04am
I realy liked Raking with a WD45. It handled a NH 268 very nicely. but it would be a misrable Baling tractor with a loader installed. There cheep enought I only paid $800 for my last one. it the tractor I use the most very handy size  cheep to operate and Wheels and tire are about all I have into it. Starts real well in the winter and without weights it light enough to drive on my grass without tearing it up.  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by gerkendave gerkendave wrote:

I don't mind using the 190 on the square baler but it's honestly a little big to be using on the rake in my opinion. Not to mention there has been more than once now while I'm baling we are racing rain and switching back and forth between balers to fill orders for squares vs rounds gets old fast.

CA is a good raking AC tractor and easy on gas.I hate switching implements back and forth when I'm making hay I have 2 tractors with balers hooked to them ready to go,3 if I'm using the D15 to square bale,2 tractors with rakes and 2 tractors with mowers hooked to them.Then there are the spare tractors(LOL)
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:49pm
Just over wind the pto and it will do a better job tyeing the bales. Set the throttle at pto speed and not over.
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:52pm
We used a D-15 series 2 on a NH 273 baler for years and loved it.  If you want a few more ponies I would just step up to a d-17 or a 175.  Personally, I would never go away from the power director, love it when square baling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic