This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need input on new square baling/raking tractor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

I realy liked Raking with a WD45. It handled a NH 268 very nicely. but it would be a misrable Baling tractor with a loader installed. There cheep enought I only paid $800 for my last one. it the tractor I use the most very handy size  cheep to operate and Wheels and tire are about all I have into it. Starts real well in the winter and without weights it light enough to drive on my grass without tearing it up.  

I had a wd45 with swartz loader and 7ft bucket and used it for everything, cutting, raking, baling?  never had a problem.   the only problem was it was a gas hog! but it was a heck of a lot better than trying to bale with my 8n.  get yourself an under horse power machine, it'll make ya appreciate what ever ya buy next....LOL

I vote late version d17 or simler, if ya gotta wait till ya save some cash do that.  don't settle for some thing ya might end up regretting later.  just my opinion, dt
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Sponsored Links

gerkendave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:39pm
It's not that we can't afford to spend more it's the fact that we've gotten great deals on all of our equipment so it's just hard to spend a ton on a smaller tractor when I didn't have much into my XT. And it had near new Goodyear's on the rear. I talked with Ryan Winter and I will be going to his place this weekend to look at some d17's. How are the power steering systems on them? I love the power of the Hyd steering on the 190 while moving bales with the loader. And I know the wife does as well! Just curious how well the d series steering worked with a loader hung on the front?
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:47pm
If I ever get the loader finished on my d14 I'll let ya know how the steering is...lol
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:48pm
Lol thanks!
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 4:15pm
If you're expecting the PS on a D series to be like a 180,185 or 190 you'll be disappointed,its pretty good on my D19 and D15 but not nearly as good as my
180,185 and 190XT.The difference is the later tractors have hydrastatic steering not power
steering big difference.My Oliver 1550s and 1600 have hydrastatic steering its almost as
good as the 180 etc.Another tractor I have thats a good all around utility tractor is the
International 464 Industrial 8 forward speeds,very good hyro steering,hydraulic controlled
LPTO,very strong 3pt hitch.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:23pm
Thanks Gary! All of this info helps me out I really appreciate it.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by gerkendave gerkendave wrote:

It's not that we can't afford to spend more it's the fact that we've gotten great deals on all of our equipment so it's just hard to spend a ton on a smaller tractor when I didn't have much into my XT. And it had near new Goodyear's on the rear. I talked with Ryan Winter and I will be going to his place this weekend to look at some d17's. How are the power steering systems on them? I love the power of the Hyd steering on the 190 while moving bales with the loader. And I know the wife does as well! Just curious how well the d series steering worked with a loader hung on the front?

That is what makes the 170/175 feel like a smaller tractor than the D17, the hydrostatic power steering....and the power director is not as jumpy as the 180-200's since it is mechanical and not hydraulic. And, if you have a low battery you can pull start them where you can't with the 180-200's.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:53pm
Spend the extra money and buy a 6080!

We store the square baler in a short shed pull it out with the D17 unhook it, hook the 6080 to it to bale, then unhook it and back it back in with the D17.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:54pm
Worrying about how much gas one tractor uses and buying another more fuel-efficient one is like spending $30,000 for a new car that gets 5 MPG more. You'll never recover the extra expense through saved fuel costs.

Edited by DougS - 24 Apr 2017 at 9:55pm
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:30am
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Worrying about how much gas one tractor uses and buying another more fuel-efficient one is like spending $30,000 for a new car that gets 5 MPG more. You'll never recover the extra expense through saved fuel costs.

the wd 45 didn't use much gas baling, we did about 300 bales. but cutting, I swear every lap around the field I had to stop and fill up.....lol  we used a 5ft brush hog.  I love a fuel sipping diesel, but if your only using it for baling, I don't know that it's worth the extra cash to get one.  a friend had a case with case o matic drive, he would warm it up for about 45 mins and it still didn't want to go in gear, ended up breaking the shifter off trying to jam it in gear.  I'm not bashing case, just saying what I saw.  the tractor is now parked in the back of his field rusting away.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 7:37am
Good grief! Making 200 square bales a year and switching implements back and forth is so miserable??? Wow. I don't have big equipment, and 200 bales of hay is what, about 70 minutes of work if you go slow and take a long water break between loads.

Hahahaha
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 7:44am
Haha I know I know. But it's usually like 50 in each cutting meaning every cutting I'm back and forth between the round and the square baler. I like to open the field with rounds then make just what I need in squares then finish in roumds. So with one tractor it's a lot of back and forth
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:20am
Gerkendave, did you get the PM I sent you. ..? Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:45am
Yes I did Darrel. That's a really nice looking tractor but I noticed they said it didn't have a three point? That is one thing we'll need for grading snow and driveway and moving rounds. If it had that it'd be a perfect little rig!
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Good grief! Making 200 square bales a year and switching implements back and forth is so miserable??? Wow. I don't have big equipment, and 200 bales of hay is what, about 70 minutes of work if you go slow and take a long water break between loads.

Hahahaha

I wish took all afternoon.  by the time I baled it. parked the tractor, got the truck and went through the fields picking them up. load the truck, drive to the barn unload it, back to the field, load the truck, etc.!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:54am
Originally posted by dt1050 dt1050 wrote:

Hahahaha

I wish took all afternoon.  by the time I baled it. parked the tractor, got the truck and went through the fields picking them up. load the truck, drive to the barn unload it, back to the field, load the truck, etc.!!

Yeah, understand. My example is 2 people.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:01am

Hahahaha

had the wife help, except she ways 100lbs and came to the field in shorts and a tank top.  didn't last long and she had to quit, apparently hay makes ya itchy....LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:03am

Hahahaha

had the wife help, except she ways 100lbs and came to the field in shorts and a tank top.  didn't last long and she had to quit, apparently hay makes ya itchy....LOL

Haha sounds like my wife! I think she does it just so she gets put on the tractor to drive!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:05am
So I'm seeing now some d17's have a hydraulic pump mounted where the belt pulley would have gone. Is this a good setup or does this not gain you live hydraulics?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 11:40am
Hmmm....well, a 100 pound female and I could have 250 bales under shelter in close to an hours time, biggest factor being a decent hay crop. Not unloaded, but in out of a pending rain.
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 2:11pm

So I'm seeing now some d17's have a hydraulic pump mounted where the belt pulley would have gone. Is this a good setup or does this not gain you live hydraulics?

Those are the Series IV tractors, and they give you live hydraulics, just as you want!
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:09pm

Hmmm....well, a 100 pound female and I could have 250 bales under shelter in close to an hours time, biggest factor being a decent hay crop. Not unloaded, but in out of a pending rain.

The wife refused to run the wd45, she couldn't reach the pedals...LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 6:44pm
Orange blood. Was it possible to add that to an earlier series? Only reason I ask is I see one coming up for auction that has it mounted like that but it says it's a series 2 (or 3 I don't remember for sure) but either way I know​ it didn't say series 4.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 7:08pm

Orange blood. Was it possible to add that to an earlier series? Only reason I ask is I see one coming up for auction that has it mounted like that but it says it's a series 2 (or 3 I don't remember for sure) but either way I know​ it didn't say series 4.

No, you would have to change the Torque tube, there is more than just a pump there.  The clutch has two sets of splines one on the clutch disc, and one on the pressure plate, then a hollow shaft around the input shaft, you get the idea.  Not to mention all the plumbing changes.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:15pm
So a better chance someone switched hoods then?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:52pm

So a better chance someone switched hoods then?

Quite likley.

Check that you have a hydraulic console on the operators RIGHT side, not the LEFT.  That will confirm your thoughts.

Series I,II, and III, hydraulics IF any are on the left, with a control lever on the steering console.

Series IV, hydraulics on the right for sure, and only a throttle on the steering console.
Still in use:
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:08pm
d-17 deisel without a doubt the best , power , gets around tight windrows good,  work that power director through  heavey to light hay, not to big not to small
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:21pm
Thanks orange blood! And hudco I thought the 17 diesels were hard to find parts for?
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:01am

Thanks orange blood! And hudco I thought the 17 diesels were hard to find parts for?

You can get parts but if the engine needs work it gets pricey fast.
 D-17 series IV is a good choice. 

We do about 2000 bales a year and use the following tractors. 

CA to rake
D-14 to cut
D-15 to bale
 Just remember that you don't need a lot of horsepower to run a baler. We used the CA for over 10 years to do all our farming needs.
Not saying that a CA is the best choice, just showing smaller hp is still very useful.

Take a look at my videos as I have a few on baling.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 8:57pm
2-70 white. Same as a 1655 Oliver, but without the green paint the Mrs. hates. :)

I would ask her for a clarification on the policy. I personally take it as "F#@% John Deere" but an Ollie would be OK. :)

Remind her Oliver is the correct shade of green. :)

Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic