This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TL16D TO THE ALLIS CHALMERS COLLECTION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TL16D TO THE ALLIS CHALMERS COLLECTION
    Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 4:50pm
Ok, this was yesterday.We picked this up at an auction in Chico,Ca. (3 hours away) photo P4140001_zpsgmxdb8y1.jpg
it almost slipped by us, but due to our auction snooping (IRON DISEASE) diligence it didn't photo P4140002_zpsh4pjxtcd.jpg
It's probably one of the most perfect specimens we have seen and we now have it for our collection.  TL16D  ser.#1271 1962. 1324 were made. photo P4140003_zpswxctppze.jpg
The cab says Campbell Detachable Cab Co. Kind of like getting in a fighter jet, it slides back and forth. Seen them in pictures, but never up close and in person.
 photo P4140005_zpsbdj9rcwo.jpg
Does not have a turbo, but apparently the later models did. 16:00 x 24 tires. Can't get the video of un loading to load up , has no breaks right now. photo P4140007_zpsoeujac4m.jpg
The video shows it going into 3rd gear and moving right along. Thought I should park it with the pretty tractors for company. photo P4140011_zpslh8gqzmt.jpg
So here's the first adjustment that needs to be done. You might be wondering about the worlds largest bucket that is on it. We might need "BUCKET MAN DAVE" to come out reshape it for us.  Oh, Dave!! I know you said you didn't think you would get out here any time soon but this has your name all over it. photo P4140012_zpsjnniq7yf.jpg
We couldn't get any history for the machine or where it came from. Knowing the location in general we suspect the bucket was built up to handle things like rice straw or almond hulls. I know you guys know I have the "real mans torch" in an earlier post, so we'll make the needed adjustments. You can see the lines of the original bucket pretty easy. photo P4140013_zpsez6kjlhw.jpg
Don't know what we'll find across the bottom where the cutting edge is. (minor detail) photo P4140014_zps8kiymqun.jpg
344 Starts and runs good. photo P4140015_zpsjsfioe3g.jpg
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 6:34pm
I can see my name written in the small print out there Mel. You have pretty much a peach to work with, hacking the extra steel away will be a relative easy process compared to where I have been!! And the lines of the original bucket are still clear inside and out!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 7:58pm
Good looking loader, Mel.I think that big oversized bucket would work good out here for cleaning manure out of my corrals. Lol. Darrel
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:17pm
Dave, yes I think you're right ,it's pretty straight forward. It just cuttin and weldin.  After I did the post I went to the ''DONOR TRACTOR ATTACHMENT"isle and found a 545 bucket that might fit. That would let us use the loader while we work on the bucket. That being said it sounds like Darrel wants in on the deal too. I'm thinking I could trade Darrel a manure bucket for a straight 545 bucket and life would be good!
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:05am
Neat looking find!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:30am
No, Mel. I do not want to trade buckets; mine is  645, not a 545 anyhow. But I would trade you my 645 loader for that loader; whole loader, not just the buckets. LOL Darrel
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 12:47pm
Up in the great white north they put those bucket extensions on to make it a snow bucket, ha ha.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:22pm
brakes??? who needs brakes??? and me thinks ole Darrel only needs a WD45 with a rear blade to push what little snow he gits! LMAO
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:25pm
I've seen a couple of these machines sell around here on consignment sales, usual price in area of $3500 plus or minus. never saw a cab like that one on any of them tho. the ones I saw you still had to kinda shimmy down into them too. pretty unhandy I thought.
James Coons View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Coons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 7:37pm
That unit is in excellent shape!!  I've been through the brakes on one.  I'd be happy to trade notes/ parts sources when you dig in.  
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:19pm
I find the turboed 344 in my 145T a bit underwhelming, i cant imagine a 344 in a loader and without one Dead
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:06pm
James, might give you a shout when we get in the brakes. I'm sure it's similar to the 645 and other types that we have done. Parts might be a problem?
 Cal, I know what you're talking about, but I made a couple of passes at the pea gravel pile and it filled up that XL bucket pretty easy and handled it ok. It did not like a full bucket of sand though. Seems like some of these machines might have started before turbos.

Shameless Dude, You're right IT'S NOT CONVENIENT TO GET IN!! but it looks like you're getting into a jet fighter cockpit (kind of cool)
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 12:50am
Be a shame to mess up that fine job of scrub welding, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Made me wonder what in the world it was used for.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:34pm
when I was younger and skinny, didn't seem to bother me climbing in and out of some of them awkward cabs on anything, now...I could prolly slide in, but you'd hafta gits me out with that crane on your truck! LMAO
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 10:01am
Did these machines use brake fluid or hydraulic oil in the brakes?  I know Case used/uses hydraulic not brake fluid.  Where did the master cylinder hide?  Is it similar or common to old trucks of the day?
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:42am
Dave, Pretty sure it's just a standard vacuum over brake fluid. Think it has a vacuum pump.  According to the parts book it has regular old brake wheel cylinders. (you know the kind you used to be able buy a kit for of the shelf at the local auto supply 50 years ago) I'm sure we'll find out. It came with a container of brake fluid on the floorboard. That's kind of a sign to me that if you kept if full maybe something still works? 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 10:40am
More than likely wheel cylinder leaks.  The old truck style cylinders used to develop a 'set' that once disturbed would leak like no cups in them.  I have not tried to find any drum brake parts for a long time, not sure how available they will still be.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 10:22pm
Dave, Yep, concur 100% with your assessment. Wouldn't be surprised if I dug deep enough in the corner of our shop that we might have those repair kits still. We had 2 645s for a while and I know that was a similar setup. I need to look (were planning on reclaiming 2 645s this summer and one was our 1st one)
rickv57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickv57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 5:59pm
Nice loader Mel,any chance you could call me 8166153699 thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic