This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC unstyled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WC unstyled
    Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:49pm
Hello,

Last day i drove my '36 wc unstyled and there was a metal noise coming from the right wheel.
Today i saw the oil in the differentialhousing is about 80% water.

Few questions;
1 How do the final drive gears get oil? I do not see a fill plug on the final drive housing? Does it get oil from the differential housing?
2 How much and what kind of oil do i need to put in the differential housing
3 How much and what kind of oil do i need to put in the transmission

I guess our wc has stand a loooong time, the motor oil was always getting grey in about 1 month after fresh oil.
Last month i flushed it, and now the oil stays perfect clean!

Thanks in advance for any help.
AC: B / WD / CA / WC unstyled / U / 7060 / 710
Sponsored Links

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:26pm
WOT,  Delighted to speak with a person from the Netherlands.  When I was in the Army in '55 - '57 my favorite leave was to Amsterdam.  What a wonderful county you have.  Some of the greatest people I met.  Greetings!
As to your Questions.  
1.   The final drive gears have an oil sump in the housings on each side of the tractor.
When new we used to use 140 oil.  It was fed in by a special pump that could move the heavy oil.  Others can mention the more modern oils that may be much more efficient.  Also, there is a large cork gasket that surrounds the wheel axle.
To replace it one had to remove the wheel and gasket.  Wish I had a picture but will have to make do without.  
2. The oil in my time was SAE 140.  How much I do not recall but not a lot
3. As to the transmission you should find a fill plug on the LH side of the housing that is used to fill the transmission.  We also originally used SAE 140 in it too.
At the bottom of the transmission and differential there should be drain plugs.
If you have a Power Take Off you can drain the oil from there. 
I wish I had more exact information.  But from memory this is the best I can do.  I am certain others may chime in with exact specifications and proper modern oil to use.
My father sold the "Flat Top" WC when he started his dealership.  That unit has a special place in my memories since it was the First Allis Chalmers Tractor he sold.
Let us know how it goes.  You have a very dependable and as you can see from the age a very durable tractor.  I am always amazed that they have lasted so long and are still useful units.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  I do not know for certain but I am told my Long family came from the Netherlands 

Edited by Bill Long - 22 Mar 2017 at 9:27pm
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:05am
The final drive is filled from the plug hole I have circled in this picture:

The drain is the same size plug on the bottom of the final drive housing.  The final drive housing is separate and shares no oil with the differential.  The brake is in between the two and  should be dry.
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 3:44pm
Thanks for your posts! 
Now I now how to fill my final drives.
There is something placed before the fill plug, that's why i didn't see it!
At the picture you can see it, why is it?

Bill; I'll try to get SAE140 to fill it all up again. 

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Wot - 23 Mar 2017 at 4:04pm
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 3:58pm
Tom,  Thanks for posting such excellent pictures of a WC rear end.  You are doing a BEAUTIFUL job on a Classic Allis Chalmers WC.  Would love to see pictures.
WOT,  You may want to look at the ring around the axle that attaches to the Final Drive housing.  That is where the cork gasket was placed to seal the final drive from leaking oil.  You may want to look at your unit and see if there is any leakage around this area.  If so and if you are removing the wheels it may be wise to replace the seals too.  
I hope others may chime in here.  First there may be better oil that can be used in the final drives and also, there may be better more state-of-the-art seals for the WC final drives and transmission.  I would still tend to have the heavier oil since no hydraulics are involved.  May want to contact some of the suppliers on this site - Tony's Tractors, Sandy Lake, etc.  They have been most helpful and can give good advice on what type of oil or gaskets and seals to use.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 4:26pm
I use SAE 85-90 gear oil in the final drives....it flows better than SAE 140 and is easier to pump into them. I bought a cheap (<$10) marine oil pump to get the oil in. You pump it in until it starts to run back out.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Bud(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bud(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 6:38am
The piece blocking your fill plug looks like one of the brackets for a mounted corn picker.
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:15am
Yesterday i filled all reservoirs with SAE140.
The first 10 min. in low gears i still heard a loud metal noise.

After 5 min. in 4th gear and high idle the noise is completely gone.
Seems to need oil in there and no water

Bud: that's interesting, do you know if i can see if the tractor had a mounted cornpicker on other mounted things?
On the side it has also some brackets.

Thanks
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:58pm
If it had a mounted picker at one time it would have been the # 33 I think! they also had a mounted hay bale conveyor to load the round bales that were made by their little baler. Not sure what else mounted in that time period.
I have a 34 and a 36 wc out here ! also a square axle, (dont know year) and one more styled wc with aux. transmission.  thanks; ac fleet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic