This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crawler loader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crawler loader
    Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 9:51pm
I need to clean up about 5 acres of spruce/poplar trees, that a plow wind knocked over and pulled 'em up by the roots.

due to steep access, and risk of puncture, I think a tracked vehicle would be best.

some of my trees are 30" at the butt.

I would limb and cut them to 16 feet or so, and cut off stumps, and carry/drag them up the hill for processing into lumber/logs/firewood, and a burning pile for the stumps.

the price of crawlers his pretty steep up here.
I like the idea of a loader to help with the moving.

There are occasionally some crawlers with Dozers or Loaders for sale within a couple hours.

Right now, I have seen an IHC175 for $10k, and an AC HD7(G?) for $4k

I know two things about crawlers... nothing and....   OK, ONE thing!

any reason I should stay away from an older HD7?
AC7060Pd 1975
Sponsored Links

Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 10:18pm
you know as much about old dozers as I do.Smile

Have you looked at auctiontime.com ? I know I saw a couple of Canadian HD's on there recently. None, right now.

Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 10:23pm
Rent or lease a good one.
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 2:34am
the poplar trees in my area have very little root systems to them, they can mostly be uprooted and knocked over with a 100 HP size tractor and a good rear blade. that's one way I did some of mine here, the other way was I hooked a cable from a 1 ton wrecker up about 8-12 ft above ground and just pulled them over, roots came out too. can also cut the spruce down, and take a back hoe out to dig the stumps. every farm should own a backhoe/loader!  
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:59am
The HD7 has a 3 cylinder Detroit Diesel. The HD7G has a turbocharged (4) cylinder diesel. The HD7G is a good and powerful machine when it is working and a money pit when it breaks. Find out which machine you are looking at and post the question again.
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:37am
The biggest problem you will have is honesty with the person you are dealing with. I would suggest that if you find one that you take a mechanic with you that knows something about them to check it over . the 7 if maintained properly would be fine. Tracks can be wore but still last a hell of a long time for most hobby farmers. Visual oil leaks can be seen. If you can find one at a dealers some where and get them to give you some sort of a warrenty would probably be better. Don't get in a hurry. Use a little common sense. Listen what people say but remember they wont tell you the bad so ask any questions wether you think its trivial or not. Good luck. Norm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:54am
I own a 7G, I would make sure I wasn't buying a G-b series as they were mostly Fiat with Iveco engine parts for these are as or more scarce than for mine. The IH is a similar sized machine with similar issues. Rails are no longer made for either so if shot may last awhile or could be pin and bushing turned to stretch some life but still an expense. Cats are and will remain expensive so if can tolerate maintenance upkeep the older machines and obsolete machines can do as good a job. Primary concern is if they are already worn slick neither is a bargain even at the prices quoted.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 11:37am
Is the 7 that you are considering the one up by Saskatoon.....?  Darrel
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

I wish that were an option, but time would make it not worthwhile.
I need a machine for a couple years to do what I need doing.

Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

the poplar trees in my area have very little root systems to them, they can mostly be uprooted and knocked over with a 100 HP size tractor and a good rear blade. that's one way I did some of mine here, the other way was I hooked a cable from a 1 ton wrecker up about 8-12 ft above ground and just pulled them over, roots came out too. can also cut the spruce down, and take a back hoe out to dig the stumps. every farm should own a backhoe/loader!

my trees that I am going to remove, are either broke at 20 ft up, or pulled up by the roots, so need a way to lift the rest of the ball out of the ground.
I have a 160hp tractor, but worry about tire punctures. The only area I can access is quite steep, and has been pushed with a dozer, and bushhogged a few times to chop down the new growth. it was a right of way for power, but the lines/poles have since been removed.

I have been thinking of using cable and snatch block... but that would require some building of an arch/trellis??? to winch over to keep the cable off the ground.

Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Is the 7 that you are considering the one up by Saskatoon.....? Darrel

yup, that is the one I saw, that tweeked my memory of the work I need to do.

I could put a loader on one of my tractors, but the land is not conducive to tractors. I almost had to leave one down there when I first moved out there. Thank goodness it had a loader... I pushed myself back up.

AC7060Pd 1975
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:29pm
That Allis is a steal!  Snap 'er up.  There's a few of those around SK still, sitting behind tree rows and feed yards.  Every once in a while one comes up for sale- ideally  you would have two- one for parts.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by nanuk nanuk wrote:

Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

I wish that were an option, but time would make it not worthwhile.
I need a machine for a couple years to do what I need doing.

Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

my trees that I am going to remove, are either broke at 20 ft up, or pulled up by the roots, so need a way to lift the rest of the ball out of the ground.
I have a 160hp tractor, but worry about tire punctures. The only area I can access is quite steep, and has been pushed with a dozer, and bushhogged a few times to chop down the new growth. it was a right of way for power, but the lines/poles have since been removed.

I have been thinking of using cable and snatch block... but that would require some building of an arch/trellis??? to winch over to keep the cable off the ground.

Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Is the 7 that you are considering the one up by Saskatoon.....? Darrel

yup, that is the one I saw, that tweeked my memory of the work I need to do.

I could put a loader on one of my tractors, but the land is not conducive to tractors. I almost had to leave one down there when I first moved out there. Thank goodness it had a loader... I pushed myself back up.

Timber wouldn't last here that long and be good. If it is worthwhile, let a timber crew harvest it, take the cash , buy a reasonable unit and finish it out yourself. Sell the unit when you finish. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic