This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need some guidance with an issue (720)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.A.C.K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need some guidance with an issue (720)
    Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:12pm
Hey guys,

as you may or may not know, we just recently picked up a decent 720 that came with an ARK 700 loader, the tractor is running pretty well but I still need to set the timing and tweak the carb a bit.

my question is about the loader, I actually tried to use it the other day and found that it has very little "power" while trying to lift a load, sometimes it will barely lift just the bucket empty other times it does OK with the bucket but wont lift much if any of a load. I tried swapping hoses on the controls so that the tilt lever now controls the lift function and it didn't help any.

the one thing I did find is that the bucket will lift the front of the tractor off the ground with no problem at all so I don't think its a pump issue. wonder if anyone has any idea where to start looking first?

I'm thinking its in the the controls, I don't see how it could be the lift cylinders because they seem fine going the other direction.

I tried putting the bucket (tilted down) under something heavy, then lifting up, the bucket will come up to the load but when I try to tilt the bucket up, it just pushes the lift arms down at the same time.

I hope this make some kind of sense, it sounds confusing and I wrote it ---LOL
Mid Atlantic Customs and Klassics
Sponsored Links

mnoonan-NEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnoonan-NEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 10:53pm
Perry,
I have the same tractor and loader. Recently my bucket all of a sudden started to go down on its own. Went to have my control valve resealed but found it was totally wore out. Had to buy a new control valve. The hyd. fluid was bypassing in the valve. That may not be your problem.
Your problem sounds more like your pump may be worn out but I'm no expert on this.
Mike
AC CA, Ferguson TO-20, Ford NAA, M-M BG, AC #3 Mower, SC Plow, PH Digger, AC 720's with Ark 700 loader & Brantly Backhoe, "Mini B" w/flathead Ford V8
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 6:09am
I had A Danco Loader but basicly same pump and controls. replaced the pump with a new Parker pump. Found control valve releifs were sticking and cleaned and replaced seals and upped the pressure releifs.  Found cylinders leaking so replaced all the seals and O-rings .When done I could pick the rear of tractor off the ground. Not saying that you need to replace everything but, remember these tractors are 50 years old and depending on how much PO used it may be worn out or as in my case not used much and things were pretty rusty. Just my $.02
Lloyd

Edited by ac720nut - 12 Mar 2017 at 6:11am
M.A.C.K. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.A.C.K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 6:30am
thanks guys,

I think I'll just have to start at the easiest thing and work from there. I don't have a lot of time right now but I'll get to it sometime this summer.
Mid Atlantic Customs and Klassics
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 10:04am
With the bucket raised does it drift down over time - could be internal cylinder leakage .
Put a T in the lines and measure hyd pressure - (where to go next)
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 9:56pm
make sure the belt isnt slipping
ShaunE View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaunE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:53am
X 2 on the belt.  I have found that the Gates Belt 6842 that is listed in the Simplicity 9000 loader manual (same as the ark 700) is too long & can not be adjusted tight enough with the factory pulley & tensioner.  I went to a Gates 6841 & the problem was fixed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic