This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 716 Six Speed Transaxle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 716 Six Speed Transaxle
    Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 6:05pm
I will be using a 716 six speed for what you would call an enhanced stock class. I will be using the original 16HP Kohler with Dick Cepek 26x12x12 puller tires. The engine will be rebuilt with a good cam and carb. Am I at the limit for the stock transaxle? It is also 3800 rpm on the engine, and 1150lb weight limit. Any tips to strengthen the transaxle? Thanks. I like to keep things as original as possible. Too many Cubs pulling...lol!
Sponsored Links

tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:21pm
the one we helped with a looonng  time ago , we tore up the planetary differential.
Had to put a straight shaft through it.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 5:32am
I would say cub running gear AC sheetmetal, but your class probably not allowed. Just my $.02
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 8:15am
there is a reason most use the cub tranny, because is usually isn't cub but built on a cub design and strengthened for the increase hp, there are businesses that can sell you every single part beefed up that matches the oem design. 
At your hp you may be ok with the AC/Simp - but those bevel gears in the right angle drive need to be set for backlash as they loosen up and will shear off if not perfect.  
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 12:46pm
Thanks, tbran. What is involved in putting the straight shaft in? I thought mine had that, but when you jack it up the wheels turn in different directions from each other. Thanks!!
EdW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 12:55pm
The transaxle itself will do ok. The bevel gearbox and the differential gears not so much! We went through several differentials before welding the axle solid then exploded the bevel gearbox and went to a cub rearend and had no more gear troubles.
EdW
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:51pm
Ed, were you able to steer it after welding it up? What kind of HP were you guys running? Thanks.
EdW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:48am
Kevin, I had real small front wheels and 26x12x12 cut firestones on the rear so yes it was hard to steering the pits but wasn't bad on the track. Just use your weight to steer
EdW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic