This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harbour Freight engines?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbour Freight engines?
    Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:33pm
Has anyone got, and used a Predator engine from HF yet? Are they any good/worth getting for a log splitter. I don't use it much anymore, but would like to get it up and running again.

thanks dave
Sponsored Links

shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 1:49am
a friend of mine looked them over for his log splitter this year....and for the money he thought he'd try one. he says so far so good! he said real test will be if it works next year and on coming years he thinks! I don't know which engine he got tho! 
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:28am
Chances are he got the same one I picked up, they bolt right to the pumps, 6.5 hp, about the same as the old b&s 5 hp that went bad.
I thought for $100 it was worth the try!!   

I could of bought the extended warrenty for $49 for 3 years, nope, I am going to save the box, if it quits buy another one, take this one back.
Sorta like a welder friends story I heard somewhere! LOL
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:35am
I used maybe 15-20 of them 'off shore Honda Clones' and everyone has been a winner! I know the 9HP one is a purfect clone of the Hona as the carb of it fit/ran a Honda on 1st pull ! Cost less to buy a complete engine than just a Honda carb.Been running a motar mixer for 5-6 years...it cost me $20 for another carb so I got a FREE engine for replacing a carb !!

Also a Honda reduction box fit silky smooth on the 'import'...

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:20am
They are one of the better buys in internal combustion. The old blue colored Greyhound engines were  a Honda clone in every respect. I stocked up when they fire sale them out when the black ones came out. Some things were cheapened upon the black "Predator" but the are still a great bang for the buck. Dont pay full price! look up coupons on line. The 212CC 6.5 HP engine should cost you $99
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:02am
Bought one of them 6.5 HP for my tiller - for $99 can't beat it - started on the first pull 
  Well not exactly - seems I forgot to turn it from off to on using kills switch 
Once operator error was corrected it started and ran great - 2 years now and no problems 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:10pm
I have a 13 HP on one of their generators... starts on first pull ... like they said, its a Honda clone.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:01pm
I've had the 6.5 Predator for probably 6 or 7 years now and I have no complaints. Do some research online and you'll find all kinds of HI performance mods available for them. They can be built to almost unimaginable hp and are being used in gokart racing to the point of taking over.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:35pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 5:45pm
got the genny with 1 always starts.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:28pm
Steve, search YouTube for Detroit Hood TV minibike racing and I guarantee you will be impressed and amused and them guys will come anywhere to race if you can get enough built up to make it worthwhile.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
One guy said his was detuned to 55 hp. so that alone should tell you something.
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 7:29am
I have 6.5hp and 13hp both great engines 13 has electric start. just a bit of advice use the fuel shutoff when done running, not engines fault but got a little dirt or water in gas and needle valve failed to shut filled engine with gas. From now on I use the shutoff's
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 1:40pm
wish they had a "robyn" engine clone!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:10pm
Shameless, you are dating yourself here. Some guys may have never heard of them!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:35pm
YEA... I had one of them on a gocart 55 YEARS AGO SHAMELESS !!!!  Thumbs Up
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 11:53pm
I gots one on my golf cart that was new in 2004
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 11:56pm
and I needs a new engine for it now!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 3:31am
Good grief shameless the last 1 of those I seen was at a consignment auction probably been 15 or 20 years ago. Auctioneer called it rare then. Think old pal Steve gave a dollar for it. I gotta have him bring me a couple of load of rock for my drive sometime this month. If me old forgetful brain will remember I'll ask him if he ever got it running. Don't remember the HP, might be too small for what you need.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 12:56pm
What is so special about your golf kart that something else couldn't be substituted?
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 1:28pm
I mean I just watched a video of a King Midget with a Hyabusa mc engine in it so almost anything is possible and it was one fast King Midget. I'd think you could doctor up your golf kart and go show this Midget guy what it's all about.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 8:12pm
Im thinking a TRICKED out 6.5 HP Predator motor putting out 26 HP would look GREAT in that Golf Cart !!
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 5:38am
Way back, "Robin" engines were sold by Wisconsin. But they were and are made by Subaru.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:04am

WOW,,,Double WOW,,,,,26HP out of a little ole 212 CC,,,,unbelievable,,,!!! Wonder if thet is with gasoline or bout an 83% load of nitro,,,,????Clap WOW,,,,,

Shoot,,, you shoehorn one of them into ole Shameless's golf cart and ya'll best get out the way,,,he's be poppin wheelies and runnin over whatever is in the way at Hutch, water puddles or no water puddles,,,,,Clap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 8:27am
that would suit me fine! with my back the way it is, I was only thinking that something of the same to bolt right up is what I was looking for.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 4:42am
maybe a snowmobile engine would work?  
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 6:15am
Shameless, doubt a snowmobile engine would work really no way to keep them cool during summer months. Just me $.02
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 6:25am
re: snowmobile engines..... do they have air cleaners ? NOT trying to be funny, BUT every snowblower I've ever seen in past 30 years do NOT have air filters ! MFR saves $1/engine that way.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 5:10am
I finally got the splitter all cleaned up, painted, now tires, and all put together. Oil and fuel, and it started on the 2nd pull! Sounds good and works again. Now for the back breaking job of using it!
WEL(TN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEL(TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:13am
I have (2) 6.5hp engines. One on a generator the other on a chipper. So far I have had no trouble and they always start on the first or second pull. I hate to buy this Chinese stuff but for $99 I wanted to try them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic